Boxer Traits

Ciji

Boxer Pal
no denying

My Charlie girl is definitely a classic boxer in many many ways
-LOTS of gas
-the woo woo song( sounds like chewbacca)
-racing around the back yard for no apparent reaason
-heavy sighs
-whines when made to behave
-uses her front paws for everything
she also does a lot of other interesting things that I'm not sure are strictly breed related...when i tell her to sit, she always has to put her rump on my foot. if she's made to lay down in certain spot...look away for 1 minute then look back and she'll be about 3 ft. from wherever you placed her, she creeps very slowly till shes as close as possible to whoever happens to be closest to her.

MoJoWales

Boxer Pal
Lots of licking

Agree with many of the previous traits. Our five month old pup Chance will notice if I haven't shaved in a few days and go from his normal couple of licks to what I think is cleaning his tongue on my stubble. He really goes to town. Anyone else have this happen to them?

MoJoWales

Whisky Sour

Boxer Pal
Agree with many of the previous traits. Our five month old pup Chance will notice if I haven't shaved in a few days and go from his normal couple of licks to what I think is cleaning his tongue on my stubble. He really goes to town. Anyone else have this happen to them?

MoJoWales

Yes! Whisky loves to lick facial stubble! I think it scratches her tongue :)

A few other traits she has in common with the others I've read - if she's had a really difficult time going number 2 (or upset stomach that takes awhile), she'll stand still for a second, and then take off like a bat outta hell for a few seconds! I always know what it's coming!

Luckily we no longer have to deal with her horrible boxer gas, ever since she's been on a raw meat diet.

She definitely does the big sighs and guilt trips! She likes to stand up on her hind legs on the couch cushion, with her front paws hanging over the front. Especially if we're sitting at the table eating. Especially cute when she drops down a bit in that position and puts her head on her paws.

She also has to clean her face after she eats. She doesn't care if her face is wet from drinking, but after she eats, she's gotta wipe it off!

Not sure if this trait is contained somewhere within this 100+ page thread, but she is very skittish with anything new!! Anything new that comes into the house, and she can't get within 10 feet of it for the first few days. It definitely takes her awhile to get comfortable with new things.

And of course she jumps, does the happy butt wiggle when we come home, loves to chase squirrels, and does burns when she has a lot of energy.

Oh, and she loves the doggie pools at the dog park. She'll lay down in them when she's really hot, but mostly after she's run for a couple of minutes, she'll just go to the pool and stand in it. She's a swimmer now, I think from being so comfortable with the doggie pools at a young age, yay!

LaylasHumans

Boxer Buddy
Marlin,

Here are things that Layla does A LOT:

- Passes EXTREMELY STINKY GAS
- Licks her nose
- Nibbles human ears, especially if someone is wearing earrings
- Nibbles human noses
- Tosses her tennis ball and tuggy ropes
- Lays her head on you like she's tired of holding it up herself
- "Squalls" when someone plays rough with her
- Follows her Daddy and I around the house, even into the bathroom if allowed
- Comes to you if you ask her, "Layla, what her do?" (Her Daddy and I are guilty of talking baby talk to her...we just can't help it!)
- Sneaks around to lay on furniture she's not allowed to lay on (She LOVES my sister's chair-and-a-half, even though she's been given the matching ottoman to lay on, which is the PERFECT size for her...she's even got special sheets to cover the ottoman!)
- Attempts to root around in the kitchen trash (she doesn't do this very often, just when others in the house forget to put the lid down on the trash can!)

September

Boxer Buddy
- occasional gas
- Big Sighs
- Jack hammering
- uses his front paws a lot like a cat when playing with his toy especially a ball
- stalks me or my bf before he pounces
- follows me to the bathroom always. Licks my legs after a shower if I can't run away before he does lol.
- everyone and everything is his personal napkin.
- has to lick everything after he drinks water.
- loves to lay on fresh laundry out of the dryer
- kidney beaning when I get home or if I've step out for two seconds its like iv been gone forever to him. :)
- and his Woo woo song and talk that I can't get enough of ;)!
- laying on me like he can't hold himself up anymore.
-and the all time favorite the boxer burn where he runs like a mad man around the yard or the house.
- Lots and lots of licks and cuddles
I think these are pretty common traits and I'm sure there's more he does and I love my guy for every bit of them and it is very true when they say boxers are like lays potato chips cause u can't have just one and I can't wait to add another!

Last edited:

rayofsun

Boxer Booster
I'm surprised, but Sadie doesn't have very much gas. After reading this post when I first got it, I was like "OHHH NNOO". But she doesn't do it ever. But she kidney beans like it's the most fantastic thing. She looves people. Anytime she hears a human, she starts to kidney bean, :) She does it so much, she walks in that position and my brother laughs at her, haha. She's fantastic.

I'd say another thing I've noticed is she doesn't woo woo...maybe she's too young (4 and 1/2 months) but I've only heard her do it when I first got her.

She sighs heavily, but my sister's dog (a pit) does as well, so it wasn't all that novel to me. However, it cracks me up when they both sigh at the same time.

She's very rowdy and extremely full of energy as well as extremely intelligent. I've never had a dog of my own, and she's been quite a lovely handful.

MoJoWales

Boxer Pal
Has your boxer discovered the leaf blower yet? Chance did this weekend and WOW! He will get down in stalking mode and wait to jump in front of the blower then turn his head into the air and open his mouth. His cheeks will blow out and he will bite at the air. He will bean, pounce, jump into, and lick the wind. As soon as the blower is turned off he will begin to pout or push into the operator trying to get the game going again. Combine that with his broom attacks while sweeping off the driveway and it is hard to get anything done because I am laughing too hard. I know that laughing at him is just encouraging this behavior but so be it. It is part, to me at least, of the joy of having a boxer. He makes everyday activities so much fun even if they can take a bit longer.
He also had discovered the bliss of going for a ride in the truck with his head out the window. When we get to the main highway and I have to roll up the windows he pouts like he's just been time-outed.
Chance also has an interesting trait that has become more comical as he grows. When we play fetch with a stick he has had a habit of biting down on one end of the stick and then running back with it hanging off to one side. Well, as he has gotten bigger so have the sticks and after the last wind storm there were some pretty big limbs laying in the yard that he retrieved, running past the smaller sticks that I had thrown, with the same technique. I am actually trying to teach him to grab in the middle because it looks like he is going to pull his neck out hauling these limbs back to me. He looks like a pack horse trotting with his head held high holding these three foot limbs sticking out to the side. The awesome thing about it is that he looks so proud to be helping to clean the yard as he will do this every time we make a brush pile even grabbing onto the branches that we are dragging and helping to pull it towards the burn pile.
Boxers rule.

MoJoWales

Tkirk

Boxer Pal
My Max likes to rub his lips on my furniture/bed after he eats or drinks! I think he likes to have a clean face lol! He also likes to rub his face on anything clean like laundry!

Boomer definitely hasn't developed the clean face habit. He comes in from the yard with a coating of mud all over his lips. He loves mud, and it shows.

Pamy

Boxer Pal
Maggie in San Diego

First dog I've ever had and I chose a boxer! WOW, I hit the jackpot.
Maggie's antics include:
Beaning (side-winding? Donut-ing?)...even while walking!
When she sees us after a day of being away, the whole butt wiggles excitedly!
Acting like a puppy, even though she's 2 1/2
She can peep and bark if asked
She crouches in the grass like a lioness, to stalk other dogs at the dog park! Then she attacks.
She boxes other dogs with her front legs.
She tosses toys over her head
She can sing the Woo Woo song....lovely!
She can ask to be taken out to poo or get tucked in or get fed by sitting by me and staring with great big puppy-dog eyes and whining a bit.
She loves dog beach.

Pamy

Boxer Pal
Maggie in San Diego

I love reading everybody's information on boxers, I love them. Maggie does alot of butt-wiggle, if she's very happy to see us, even if we just went out to get something out of the car.
When she first started "kidney beaning", I called it a donut, for lack of a better term. Then I went to a boxer meetup and they said, we call it a side-winder. Now the people on this site call it kidney beaning. Whatever you call it, I've hardly seen another breed do it! Maggie can even walk while beaning! So darn cute.
And I've never seen other breeds 'stalk' their 'prey' in the grass: at the dog field....crouching down like a lioness..... wait for it.....wait for it...... then attack!

Pam & Chris