1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxer Traits

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Marlin, Aug 14, 2000.

1. Marlin

Marlin Boxer Pal

definitely all of the above. Also they are such lap babies, if not trying to sit on your laps, they sit on your feet. Thanks everyone for your input! Very interesting, and it sounds like they all try to be human!!
    ~Marlin
    -------
    Lady 1/1/91 fawn/black mask
    Hoss 1/1/91-8/13/00 waiting for us at the bridge
    Yes they were littermates, Born just after midnight, seperated for about 2 years when pups though, Lady was on a police force in New Orleans till her partner got hurt.

[This message has been edited by Marlin (edited 08-16-2000).]

2. MajorMom

MajorMom Boxer Booster

Definitely all that, especially the kidney bean, the frog dog position, getting in your lap, the snorting, and laying on back (usually only when chewing on something). Some other things are stealing/ wanting everything you have, playing keep away, and getting into everything. Basically just being big clowns! :D

------------------
    Major-4/10/00, red fawn male, black mask, white bib, white paws, natural ears, docked, STINKER!http://www.geocities.com/janet_15851/my_page.html

3. chickenz

chickenz Boxer Booster

I think of the woo woo sounds like Chubakah. that's what we say to maggie. If we start going Chubakah, chubakah, she starts making the noises.

------------------
    Maggie - flashy fawn, born 4/2000, natural ears, part human.

4. pammyjean

pammyjean Boxer Insane

Wiggle bum

I have a seven year old boxer (female) named Ginty, she is a clown clowicon, she seems to have different barks for different occasions, if a member of the family is coming up the path she does the woo woo bark, and greets them by what we call the wiggle bum dance, she nearly turns herself inside out with excitement. :cool: When she has eaten she wipes her face on her bed. If she is playing with a toy she rolls it towards you, and then looks quizzically at you as if to say "well arent you playing then" lovicon .I have a friend come to visit, her husband has got Altzheimers and it is if Ginty senses there is something wrong, she always greets him with a strange noise almost sounds like HELLO . I think boxers are a breed apart from other dogs, so gentle, funny and moody.

Pammyjean mummy of Ginty, 7 years , brindle, docked tail, natural ears. (snoring lying across my knee, I dont have to bother with hot water bottles I have one always at hand):D

5. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Boxers are also faithful bathroom companions. :)

I like how they use their paws to "box". When Gilroy and Purdy play fight, the sound of paw hitting ribs can be thunderous! They rear up, gleefully mouth fighting while they pummel each other in the sides with their paws. It's hilarious!

Another trait I adore is how sensitive they are. All dogs are sensitive to moods, but my two, at least, are very touchy about it. If I have a cross word with one of my sons, over homework for instance, then minutes later I'll see that the dogs are still waiting for it to be "ok". I tell them, "It's ok, you're good dogs!" and they kidney bean with relief.

They can be stubborn!! Purdy has decided my son Phil's bed is the only bed that's ok for her to sleep on. She's not allowed on any of our beds, but she persistently sneaks onto Phil's bed, much to his chagrin.
    I think it goes back to when she had a litter of puppies, two years ago,and Phil was her self-appointed guardian. I have a photo of Phil snuggling her in his bed the same night that she had puppies, with her big ole belly and Phil's little face full of love and concern. :) I love that picture.

6. Clia's_Dad

Clia's_Dad Boxer Booster

Clia has two traits I haven't seen mentioned yet. One is an off-shoot of her "woo-wooing." She will stand on the back deck in the pose of a dog show champion, throw her head back, and bark. She gets so into it, her front feet come off the ground! Sometimes, this will trail off to a howling.

Her other trait that is so endearing is empathy! Thursday, I had a horrible day at work. I left early and came home, feeling very depressed, downtrodden, and generally in a very deep blue funk.

Clia jumped up on my lap, laid her head on my shoulder and seemed to be saying, "It's okay, tell Clia all about it!"

After about five minutes, she jumped down, ran over to where we hang her leash, and pushed it back and forth, looked at me, pushed the leash, looked at me.....as if to say "Come on, Dad, I'll take you for a walk and make it all better."

She was right. About half way through the walk, Clia's antics did the trick and the depression lifted. We returned home after about an hour, both happy.

Aren't Boxers wonderful?

7. boxrlovr

boxrlovr Boxer Pal

All of the above and some big slobbery kisses. Dont you just love em.

8. Lisa M

Lisa M Completely Boxer Crazy

Casper's kisses aren't as slobbery as kisses - she gets your whole face from your chin to your forehead in one swip. He gives a series of little dabby kisses usually on the chin or cheek.

He does most everything mentioned - plus one of his favorite things to do is to drink a whole bunch of water and then come stand and drip on or shake next to either one of us or even better - a guest if one is available :p

He also likes to rub his face on the carpet, roll upside down when he is playing and he sleeps in the car with his head on the floor and his butt up on the seat. I can't imagine this is comefortable, I'm certain he just does it to send me into a fit of laughter.

9. boxrlovr

boxrlovr Boxer Pal

Toby is not at all afraid of the vacuum. He tries to kill and jackhammer the thing to death. My poor vacuum. And don't even try to get the swiffer or the broom out. Before I get finished sweeping, we are playing chase the broom. It is absolutely hilarious. It would just be boring doing the house work without a boxer trying to help.

If the house pops or something bumps. He is looking for his mommy. I have never seen anything like it. It is wonderful though. They can bring a smile to anyone's face.

10. tugger

tugger Super Boxer

I read all the threads and I am imagining all the different things boxers do and am just cracking up. Britany does them all. Cinders was alittle more aloof. She was the Queen mother! Britany is just the Queen. Ask her.