1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me pick a dog breed

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by johnson99, Dec 4, 2001.

?

Help me choose a breed (besides boxers)?

1. Yellow Lab

48 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Malinois

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Weimaraner

27 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Vizsla

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Doberman

54 vote(s)
    36.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetGirlie1400

SweetGirlie1400 Super Boxer

What about an Irish Setter?? they are SO gorgious!! I came across one in poland and oh my was she ever a lovely lady.. so polite and sweet.... I was on a lil jog and i saw her and started talking to the owner, the dog came up to me and she sat down and looked up at me saying "pet me" she told me they need a lot of exercise and lots of brushing but they are very calm very good family dogs... might be something to look into.... I think the best way to decide what kinda dog you want is to spend time with them.. thats how I fell in love with the boxer.. i spent a bit of my time with my cosuin Ola who has a beautiful fawn boy named Arrie, he was such a lil baby and wanted to play, he just made me laugh and if a dog can make you laugh I think thats the best medicine.

2. boxerz

boxerz Guest

Hello to all, I am new to the board.
    On the poll I voted for the Doberman. I personally breed, raise, and show Dobes and Boxers. I have 3 Dobes and 4 Boxers.
    Most of my dogs play well together, exept for a few of the dominate males, as to be expected.

The Dobes are protective of my family and me, and will be reserve with strangers unless I am there to introduce them properly.
    The Dobes are very smart, gentle when raised right, very loving, and loyal to their family.
    I hope that this has helped you in the process of choosing a breed.
    If you have any questions about the Doberman or would like help in finding a breeder, you can e-mail me personally.

3. Zannie

Zannie Completely Boxer Crazy

i realy like dobs i had one years ago she was a realy good family dog and at that my kids were under 5 she acted like a mom labs are great but the shedding is nuts. but nothing a tape roller and a vacume cant handle good luck i'm sure you'll love what ever you get

4. Draven Boy

Draven Boy Boxer Booster

I voted for a doberman, I think they a super duper great breed. I love boxers, and I have a great dane also, and I love danes too. why aren't you considering a great dane?? My dane and my boxer are both very similar behaviorwise, but my dane is a little more laid back. don't get me wrong, she can be hyper sometimes, and playful, and move out of the way when she get the zoomies...
    so, my first choice would be a boxer, then a dane, then a dobie..

5. DixieDiana

DixieDiana Boxer Buddy

I have 3 furchildren
    2 beautiful female Boxers
    and a hyperactive Male Dalmatian.
    They all love each other so much but its non-stop action at my house :D
    My Boxers are now 3 1/2 and 4 years old and my Dalmatian is just over a year old now. Since I got "Skylar" when he was a puppy and he has been raised with my Boxers.....he thinks he is a Boxer too. He acts just like them...boxing with his feet. :p
    I vote for Dalmatian....even though that wasn't one of your choices ;)

6. LazyDaisy444

LazyDaisy444 Boxer Pal

If you aren't getting a boxer, I'd go with the Doberman. Their disposition all depends on how you raise them.

7. Laurie_Duke

Laurie_Duke Completely Boxer Crazy

I just read all through the threads and it seems that the Doberman is the best choice by everyone, I have never had one but I know that they are a wonderful breed and very good with kids especially, Also I read that someone suggested a GSD (German Shepherd) who have also got a very bad rap, I have a 2 year old and then we adopted a Boxer, of course you go through the good and the bad with introducing a new dog, but they are the bestest of friends now, GSD's are the perfect family dog, they are loyal and are great with kids, and fit in with everything you are looking for, including cute, they are very affectionate with family members, as with all other dogs, introducing them at an early age with only benifit you and the dog, a socialized dog is a very happy dog. Can you tell I love the breed, but now thanks to my boyfriend I am adictted to Boxers !!!!!!!!

Hope this kind of helps

Laurie.

8. Cinster

Cinster Boxer Pal

Perhaps another breed to consider

Let me complicated the decision a little more!!!!!!!!

I don't know if you guys have come across the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver, or not but from what I can see this particular breed could have the potential to be what you guys are looking for. It seems to fit the profile of exactly whaT you're looking for in a dog.
    Anyways if you have the chance check it out. There are numerous websites all about them out there.

Good luck!!
    And enjoy your new pups

9. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Besides a Boxer, my initial thought was a Dobie. They are really wonderful dogs. Viszla's a wonderful as well. HOWEVER, you really need to consider the exercise needs of these breeds. They require a considerable amount of exercise and attention. If you work a lot and no one is with the dog during the day, then you are bound to have issues to deal with, no matter which breed you choose. You might consider a smaller breed with less exercise needs.

You don't say how old your child(ren) are. This is a consideration as well in bringing home any breed and what age dog to bring home (puppy vs. older/rescue dog).

Have you considered the Mastiff? They are truly wonderful dogs as well and great with kids and more laid back than some of the larger breeds, while possessing the qualities you listed.

Standard poodles are great dogs as well. Check out Portugese Water Dogs as well. They're a wonderful breed.

Of the smaller breeds, perhaps a Boston Terrier or French Bulldog.

Good luck with your decision.

10. DixieDiana

DixieDiana Boxer Buddy

I know that it wasn't one of the choices but I have to say it any way.....DALMATIAN
    I have two Boxers and a Dalmatian....its non-stop action :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.