1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me pick a dog breed

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by johnson99, Dec 4, 2001.

?

Help me choose a breed (besides boxers)?

1. Yellow Lab

48 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Malinois

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Weimaraner

27 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Vizsla

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Doberman

54 vote(s)
    36.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayne's Mom

Rayne's Mom Completely Boxer Crazy

I choose a boxer and a Vizsla, both of them were the breeds we decided on when getting a puppy for me this christmas. I fell in love with Rayne the moment I saw her. I do believe when my germ shep aussie cattle mix passes on, I will be getting a Viszla. These are my choices!!!

2. livendive

livendive Boxer Booster

I put Vizsla first, but I'd put the Weimaraner a close second for what you're asking for. Both are excellent dogs. When considering breeds (before we got Ally), I really wanted a vizsla, however since our home contains a couple cats, indoor (free roam of the house) rabbits, and open-caged birds, we decided to stay away from sporting group dogs. I know just about any dog, raised from puppy stage, could probably be trained to leave them all alone, but it didn't seem proper to tempt instinct. We followed that with another non-sporting dog we're bringing home next week...an english bulldog.

I'd stay away from the dobies. They're beautiful, quite protective (perhaps more than the "somewhat" you listed as a desireable trait) and proper socialization can do wonders, but they can still invoke longlasting fear in a child based upon how vicious they come across. Plus, I've never heard of them amounting to much in the way of retrieval, though I imagine it's possible.

Personal opinion...I have no interest in a longhaired dog such as a retriever, due to the intense shedding.

3. nataliefaith

nataliefaith Boxer Pal

not just any doberman you have to get the rusty color they are so cute compared to the black ones, dont get me wronge the black ones are cute to but I LOVE the rusty ones.

4. Laura Poplin

Laura Poplin Boxer Booster

I voted for the Weimie because I love them and I have a 5 month old pup. Since she is so young, I really can't totally vouch for her. So far, she can definately keep up with a boxer, loves to play, is very affectionate, even more so than my boxer Lily. I like the contrast in apprearance between the Boxer and Weimie. The breeder we got her from said the mom was very gentle and I can see that Daisy is less hyper than Lily by far. The vet-tech said Weimies are psycho and I can see that she has some weird tendencies, like when I clean her ears, she pouts all evening and won't come near me!:confused:

Really, all the breeds mentioned are fine dogs and I'm sure you would be happy with any of them. I guess that doesn't help much.

5. kennyo

kennyo Boxer Pal

Have you ever thought of a Rhodisian Ridgeback? Beautiful dogs that have all of the traits you are looking for. Must be raised from puppyhood with other animals though so if you have cats or other small pets, you may not want one.

6. iBoxer

iBoxer Boxer Booster

I would vote for the Lab, but they aren't as protective, so I went with the Weimie. Great temperments, protective, can run for days, and playful. They also don't shed as much as a Lab.

7. LAYLAMOMMY24

LAYLAMOMMY24 Super Boxer

Playful, cute, athletic, smart, somewhat protective/suspicious with strangers, healthy, likes to retrieve, good with kids

Throw in shadow and lap dog and you have just described a dobie. I have owned two and they were great dogs. They truely get a bad rap b/c when they ears are cropped they are a bit scarey if you dont know they are huge mushes. My female was more of the laid back and the male was the outgoing aloof one.

They have a good energy drive but not spastic.
    I think it is so funny to go to a dog show and look at the dobermans and almost everyone of them is sitting in their owners lap. That is one of the reason they are loved so much their owners know they are lovebugs but they are protective of their family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.