1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me pick a dog breed

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by johnson99, Dec 4, 2001.

?

Help me choose a breed (besides boxers)?

1. Yellow Lab

48 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Malinois

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Weimaraner

27 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Vizsla

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Doberman

54 vote(s)
    36.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnson99

johnson99 Boxer Buddy

I've been posting on this board for a few months now and still have not been able to pick a dog breed. I need some input - my wife and I want to narrow our options down to 2 and we've agreed that one of the finalists is the boxer so I need you guys to help me pick the other finalist.

We are looking for the following traits:

Playful, cute, athletic, smart, somewhat protective/suspicious with strangers, healthy, likes to retrieve, good with kids.

2. myrocky

myrocky Boxer Insane

I picked the Dobie for you for a couple of reasons. I don't have one myself so I am not an authority but I know others here have them. Anyway I think that dobies get a bad rap and would like to see them go to a home with no judgements where they will be loved and truley cared for. I think that they get along well with other boxers and the play will be about the same. Good luck to you!

3. diego's heart

diego's heart Boxer Insane

Like 'em all!

I voted for a Vizsla. Diego's girlfriend is of that breed and meets your conditions. All the other Vizsla's we've met play very well with my boxer. But to be very honest, I like 'em all (except I don't know what a Malinois is :o ).

Lisa

4. Audra

Audra Boxer Booster

Sorry, I don't have a clue. But, Yahoo has a "quiz" that asks lots of questions about what kind of dog you want (size, hair, intelligence, dominance...)Then it tells you what breeds fit your answers. It might give you a better idea instead of all of our opinions. Of course, we love boxers.

Just curious, why not a GSD? They are very similar to a malinois (so I'm told) and maybe easier to find.

One more note, I have never met a lab that was weary of strangers. Every dog has been extremely friendly. Good luck with your decision.

5. Wendy Swalls

Wendy Swalls Super Boxer

We have a yellow lab and he's a great dog. Not even close to the personality of the boxer (of course), but a good, steady dog. He's great with our granddaughter and real slow to get upset. He just LOVES to play fetch, but doesn't like to give up his prize. Jake is now 10 years old and shows few signs of slowing down.

We had a dobie when my eldest son was born and the dog was a bit jealous and sometimes frighteningly protective. We never played fetch with him, so on that account I can't comment.

I don't know much about the other two breeds, just the Weimariners are stubborn and can be a real pain. They are beautiful, though.

Hope I helped. If you can't get a boxer, I guess your best choice would be a lab, whatever color.

6. leenasmom

leenasmom Boxer Insane

The only thing better than 1 boxer, is 2 boxers:p .

Oh yeah, I didn't vote on the poll, because I know nothing about the breeds on there. Sorry and good luck in your choice.

7. Fender963

Fender963 Guest

Before I had my boxer boy Tucker my family and I had a doberman! His name was Rocky and he was the best dog we have ever had apart from Tucker!!! He was sweet and wouldn't harm a fly! He was also very playful. I would say pretty much like a boxer just a tiny bit less boisterous!!!

http://yourboxerstop.tripod.com/yourboxerstop

8. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Super Boxer

I picked the lab

I had labs before I had boxers and they are wonderful. The main differences between them and the boxers are: They aren't quite as energetic and they aren't "in your face" dogs (sometimes they like to be left alone). But I loved my labs! I was just at a point in my life where I needed more attention than labs give me!

Boxers #1
    Lab #2

9. vaboxer

vaboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

just my two cents...

a waimerrunner (sp?) bit my boy Hook for no reason one day! it was walking with its owner and I was walking with Hook on the lead and the waimerruner got off his lead and ran over and bit Hook on the back!

I always thought they were beautiful dogs...until that happened:mad:

10. alaska

alaska Boxer Booster

I chose the visla, a beautiful sporting dog, has all the qualities you are looking for, I have known a visla from my vet clinic, he was the most well behaved, lovable dog. and very trainable for retreiving or bird hunting, the weimeraner fits this catagory also. I myself have been thinking about a weimeraner, of course we don't have any breeders up here. I have gone to many sites on weimeraners on the web, and they decscribe them as very active dogs. So if you want an athletic dog that will retreive and be kid friendly, either of these two breeds will suit your needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.