1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me pick a dog breed

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by johnson99, Dec 4, 2001.

?

Help me choose a breed (besides boxers)?

1. Yellow Lab

48 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Malinois

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Weimaraner

27 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Vizsla

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Doberman

54 vote(s)
    36.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petesim2

petesim2 Boxer Pal

Its NOT about finding the right dog, its about but being the right owner.
    Still i voted for the Dob

2. MAGGIEMOM

MAGGIEMOM Boxer Booster

Has to be the dobie

We ahd one beofre the Boxer . The only reason we did not get another yet is it is still too soon. we got him when the girls were in kindergarten and they all grew up together. he was as gentle as could be with them but tended to hog the bed and push them off which they thought was funny.

We felt safe when they got older leaving them alone at home knowing that if someone came to the door the first thing they would see is 105 pound ( not fat just tall) dobie with the girls.

He would never hurt anyone . loved our cats and ferrest but he gave you a sense of security

I know we wil lget another one some year in the future.

3. trudy

trudy Completely Boxer Crazy

Hmmm... I picked a Viszla (sp) because my boss had one and it was just a beautiful dog!! really a nice looking animal. She was also smart as a whip, she did agility and everything. She was very friendly.....The only thing about the viszla was she needed lots and lots of excercise.

I am surprised that the highest vote is a yellow lab, labs to me seem that they are so overbreed, you would really have to do lots of research regarding the blood line of your lab. They also have a tendency to get overweight. Labs are nice dogs but in my opinion they really have no uniqueness (is that a word?) to them, unlike a boxer...each one has their own personality....

I like the look of the weimeraner but all the ones I have ever come in contact with are very skiddish..not a quality that is very appealing.

Just make life easy on yourself and get a boxer they are the best!! and then you can talk to all of us crazy people on this board all day long about all the funny little things your dog does!!

4. oddlou

oddlou Boxer Booster

I voted for the Lab because, though they do seem kinda boring sometimes (what dog doesn't when compared to these clowns we all love so much) they are great dogs. They are kinda stubbon, like boxers, but otherwise not too difficult to train. Contrary to what many people here have said, all of the labs i've met have been protective of their homes. My girlfriend has had them for sometime and they've been protective. I also had one when I was younger and noone would come too close to our house. They are also good with kids and great at playing fetch- they are retrievers after all. I don't know too much about the other breeds, though they are all beautiful. Weimeraners, as well as dobies, tend to be pretty dominant (not that I think their is anything particularly wrong w/that) so you might want to take that into account. The only thing I don't like about dobies really is that their faces are so pointy (the same goes for the others, though not as much as the dobies). I like the boxy look. ;) In any event, good luck. One more thing... I'd go with the boxer myself. :D

5. Ram&LexisMom

Ram&LexisMom Guest

Just like pit bulls it is the owner that makes them bad, not the dog breed itself. PLEASE do not judge an entire breed over one bad incident with that breed. You would not want someone to do this to your dog. They are a still beautiful breed.

I have had a Weimaraner before as a child. I would have another. To me, of all the dogs we have owned, this was the most like a boxer. Loving, gentle, smart, always wants attention. The only downside is they are very vocal...bark all the time. It takes a lot of training and time, but these are good dogs.
    My uncle has a lab and he is smart and beautiful. They dont have any kids, but I think you can train any dog to be good at anything. It just takes time. ;)

6. olivesmom

olivesmom Boxer Booster

I voted for the Weimaraner because the one I knew growing up sounds like what you are looking for. However, I would say go with a boxer. I had always liked them before bringing Olive home but she has turned my into a boxer lover. All of our family and friends adore her as well. I just couldn't imagine not having a boxer. ;)

7. Mrs. Dog

Mrs. Dog Boxer Buddy

I chose the lab because that is what I have a boxer and a yellow lab. My lab is a very accepting dog. I can bring any animal into the house and she welcomes it. She is protective of the house and kids. The only problem I have with her is that she has terrible allergies.

8. ThatsAlly

ThatsAlly Boxer Booster

Im somewhat biased - but Im all for the dobie. My friend has bred her female and got the most adorable fawns ever. A red or fawn dobie is my vote.

9. Kristie

Kristie Boxer Pal

my yellow lab's best friend is a boxer

Earlier today my friend brought over their boxer for a play date with out yellow lab- both are around 4 mos old-they had a blast and got along remarkably well. Their personalities were very compatible. If you like boxers then maybe a lab would be a good other choice.

10. zavacky

zavacky Boxer Pal

I have had a Weimaraner & a Black Lab. Our problem with our Weim...is she was very stubborn, hyper, and a bit slow to catch on. We had to get rid of her and let her go to a farm where the owners would be able to give her the room she needed. Also, she was too playful with our daughter...she would jump on her,knock her down and just treat her like a sock. We tried everything with her but she was too hyper for us and our children. I had a black male lab when I first moved out on my own, he was a great dog. My boyfriend came over for something and he would not let him in the door until I awoke and let him know it was okay. At the time I had no kids but he was good around the neighbors children. NOW my sister has a lab and it is the worst dog I have ever seen, she is not good at all with kids, misbehaves all the time. I think it really depends on the owner. I just recently got a mini pinscher, I'm kinda tied between the 2. There was a dobie that lived across the street from us when I was much younger and she was the sweetest dog, she would even bark when people came to our door(maybe because I always snuck her table food) she needed to protect her source for good treats.:) I really think that no matter which one you choose you will be happy as long as you can give the attention and structure thats required. GOOD LUCK ! Let us know what you end up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.