1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Type of Collar?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by JulieM, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsons_Dad

Samsons_Dad Boxer Pal

Is there something somewhere tha explains how to "correctly" use the training/choker collars? My 5 mo baby walks great on a leash, and actually listens to me better. I don't even have to keep the leash short. He stays right by my left side. And we even sit and look before we enter a street, and he is getting better at not jumping on passer buyers. I just wish he would learn to totally not jump on people...

2. blurble33

blurble33 Completely Boxer Crazy

thanks for posting this we were thinking of getting our girls new collars from SANTA and were trying to figure out if the ones we use now were good - we use the nylon quick releases.

3. Crayolita

Crayolita Super Boxer

Thanks for the post Julie, great job.

appicon appicon

4. Rocky'sMom78

Rocky'sMom78 Boxer Buddy

Thank you Julie, Great info.

5. mckenzie

mckenzie Boxer Booster

thank you julie for all this info, i was about to go out and get a halti for my five month old pup, is she still too young?.
    She walks well with me most of the time till something catches her eye or sees another walker and then just pulls me over towards the other side of the road!! which could result in injury not only to myself but my pup!!
    I take treats with me when i'm walking her and praise her for walking with me and stop when she starts to pull

Rachael and hollywackicon

6. mckenzie

mckenzie Boxer Booster

by the way at the moment i use the quick release collar!!

rachael and hollywackicon

7. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Hi Rachel, Holly is not too young for a head halter if you would like to go that way. Many performance people actually start pups right off with a head halter, and then work up to flat collars later :) You may need to buy a couple, as she grows.

I think a Gentle Leader is one of the better brands for a Boxer, or if you can get it where you live, Black Dog brand is great, and the colours of the halters are very pretty.

Here is an article on fitting a head halter to a Boxer:
    Boxers and Head Halters
    http://www.boxerworld.com/training/headhalter/

Here is a long thread on using halters:
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12448

Welcome to Boxerworld to you and to Holly :)

Sharon

8. mckenzie

mckenzie Boxer Booster

thats piece of mind, thankyou sharon.

The links are very helpfull

Rachael and hollywackicon foolicon clowicon

9. RentsOSketch

RentsOSketch Boxer Booster

What?!

FIrst off, don't you think a choker is a bit cruel?

Second, you think the choker will teach him to walk any better?

Third, have you honestly noticed less pulling with the choker?

RentsOSketch

10. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

There's nothing that a choke collar can do that can't be achieved with a standard flat buckle collar ;)

The choke collar works on the principle of tightening if the dog starts to pull and loosening as the dog ceases to pull. It relies heavily on correct use - that is to say, brief 'warning' tightening of the collar and its instant loosening as the dog responds. Unfortunately, it is a device that is rarely used correctly (most people do end up 'choking' their dog at some point - which is incorrect, ineffective and cruel) and the potential for serious and long-term harm to the dog through its misuse is high.

The use of choke collars are amongst those topics that are inappropriate for discussion on this site. A rules reminder:

The rules will be enforced if this thread degenerates.

If he's such a good walker, why use a device like that at all? Far better to stick with a standard collar and use positive training methods to reinforce his good behaviour. I'd ask the same question about the GL. It doesn't rely on choking the dog to achieve the desired behaviour, nor does it have the potential to cause trauma to the dog - but few dogs enjoy wearing them and if you already have a dog that walks nicely, why consider the use of devices (rather than training) to maintain his good behaviour?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.