1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Type of Collar?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by JulieM, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Olly has put up a quick article I put together about the different kinds of collars available and their uses, advantages, and disadvantages. If you care to visit, it's at http://www.boxerworld.com/collars

Let me know if I forgot anything!! :)

2. diego's heart

diego's heart Boxer Insane

Excellent work Julie!

3. leenasmom

leenasmom Boxer Insane

Thanks Julie, I was wondering about all of the different collars. I have always used the buckle collars, and regular and no-pull harnesses. Great work.

4. Audra

Audra Boxer Booster

Wow! What a great article. Just one thought, did you consider the vibrating collars for deaf dogs? I'm curious about them. Thanks

5. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I hadn't considered the v-collar, thanks for mentioning it. :) If you haven't seen this site already, here is some information on using a vibrating collar with deaf dogs:

http://www.deafdogs.org/vibratrain.html

6. JHBoxerMom

JHBoxerMom Boxer Booster

Wow Julie, great job!
    My pup has a little spiky leather collar for right now, I just thought it looked funny! I didn't even realize that there were so many different ones, I just knew there was the "regular", the prong and all the electronic kinds. Silly me!

7. Boxerworld

Boxerworld BW owner Staff Member

Just to say the page was moved to http://www.boxerworld.com/training/collars
    There is a redirection on the old url to the new page.
    The page was also a little "updated": under Head Halters I remplaced the photo of the Alaskan Malamute by Sharon's boxer Bella ;)

8. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Greyhound collars or limited slip collars work well if you want a collar that slips over their head (i.e., not a buckle collar). They tighten, but only to a certain point, so they do not get tight enough to choke the dog but they can get tight enough that the dog can't get them back over the head.

9. budlitefan

budlitefan Boxer Booster

Youve done a tremendous job on the explanations of collars....Knew about most of 'em although there was a few that I havent seen before....We use the quick release type collar on Sysco, was a little expensive but its worth every dollar when its comes to one of "your babies":)

10. shannonmac

shannonmac Completely Boxer Crazy

this really helped me out... we just got kneesaa the gentle leader and it works wonderfully!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.