1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Type of Collar?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by JulieM, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry

Sherry Boxer Booster

We use the limited slip on all three of ours. We get them from our local Concord Pet Stores and they're only about $6.00. They really seem to work the best. I've also used the gentle leader on a foster I had who didn't walk well, but almost instantly became a gentleman using the gentle leader.

Sherry

2. Emily&Chopper

Emily&Chopper Boxer Pal

Gentle Leader Question?

My boxer pup is about 4 months old now & he pulls a lot on his leash (I have a flat buckle collar). I was wondering if I used a gentle leader on him now while he is a pup if he will stop pulling on a regular collar later, or will he always have to use a gentle leader once he is trained with one? I don't know if this is phrased correctly, but I wondered if anyone has done this with a young dog....Thanks

3. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I think 4 months is too early to have to resort to a Gentle Leader. But it is just a training tool - you will need to teach him to walk on a loose leash regardless of what type of collar/halter you use. Otherwise, it goes from being a training tool to a crutch, and if you put him on a regular collar he will still pull.

4. Emily&Chopper

Emily&Chopper Boxer Pal

Any Suggestions?

Any suggestion on how to keep him from pulling? We are working on heeling but he still pulls frequently & doesn't seem to understand. It is even worse when I have both dogs out at the same time. They both lose their manners completely & my bicep is getting huge from pulling! nonoicon
    Thanks frogicon

5. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Take the dogs walking separately. They perform much better when they are not in a "pack" together.

When the dog gets in front of you, simply turn and walk the opposite direction. The idea is to keep the dog's attention on you by changing directions frequently and letting the dog know that YOU are leading the "hunt" or walk, not the dog, so he must follow you. If he veers to the right, walk to the left. If he gets ahead or chases after a squirrel, turn and go the opposite direction. Bad behavior (pulling ) will get him nothing. Good behavior, walking nicely and heeling, will get him praise, treats or a chance to sniff and explore (real world rewards).

Again, I suggest "The Dog Listener."

Good luck.

6. LuvBoxers1

LuvBoxers1 Boxer Booster

Thanks so much for posting this..... so much info! I appreciate it.

7. brianp66

brianp66 Boxer Booster

Thanks Julie I now no alot more about collars than I thought I did

8. kennyo

kennyo Boxer Pal

So wich collar do you recommend for a boxer?

9. NWCoastie

NWCoastie Boxer Pal

Excellent summary of collar options! We started out with the flat buckle collar, but were suffering from too much pulling and refusal to heal/sit on command. A few weeks into obedience class, we switched Ginger to the pinch collar and the change in her 'tude was quick. My understanding is that it is meant to mimic mother nature -- when pup gets out of line, mama grabs pup by the gruff of the neck. The pinch mimics that discipline and Ginger seems to get the message.

We plan to combine her training with both the pinch and the flat collar as we don't want her thinking she only has to obey our commands when wearing the pinch. Our trainer advises that it is our voice and actions that should be commanding the dog, not the collar/leash. As she is only a pup, when Ginger gets excited, our commands don't hold too much weight! smashicon So, I thank the doggy gods for the pinch collar!

10. babydex

babydex Boxer Booster

I agree a great and informative article, me being a new Momma here in five days we've been tossed on which collar to start out with. I have at least narrowed it down now. Thank you so much Julie and to BW for such a wonderful site!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.