They suspect Meningitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Okay so Sable is improving but she screams when you pick her up. She cannot lower her head to eat or drink. If she is laying on the dog bed and her head gets lower than her body she cannot get up.

I called. They are consulting the local neurologist about doing a spinal tap to test.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
Oh dear :( I'm so sorry. My boy had a form of meningitis (GME)... or so was suspect. He presented with quite different symptoms though but did have some pain on occasion when moving his neck too quickly. He had spinal fluid leaking at the back of his neck, which I suppose is why he had pain there. I hope you are able to see a neuro quickly to get a definitive diagnosis and start treatment promptly. We continue to keep you in our thoughts.

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
Oh my, I hope you a diagnosis ASAP so they can start treating Sable. Continuing to send healing vibes for sable.

Gus's Folks

Boxer Buddy
I don't hope your Sable has meningitis, but I sure do hope you're getting closer to a definitive diagnosis. The good news would be that it is treatable. Looking at the following description from a website, it almost describes to a tee the symptoms and is consistent with the suspicion of your vets that Sable had some sort of bacterial infection:

Symptoms of Canine Meningitis
Most cases of canine meningitis happen as secondary complications of other diseases caused by bacterial infection. Dogs of any age, breed or gender can be equally affected. Newborn puppies seem to be especially at risk. With meningitis, the affected dog is almost always systemically ill. Clinical signs include one or more of the following:

High fever (elevated body temperature)
Muscle stiffness
Muscle spasms in the back (often painful)
Rigidity of the muscles of the neck and forelimbs (often painful)
Extreme sensitivity to touch (hyperesthesia); may jump or yelp when touched
Etc., etc.

(Full link is here:Meningitis in Dogs | Symptoms and Signs)

With all positive thoughts....

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
[QUOTE
Symptoms of Canine Meningitis
Most cases of canine meningitis happen as secondary complications of other diseases caused by bacterial infection. Dogs of any age, breed or gender can be equally affected. Newborn puppies seem to be especially at risk. With meningitis, the affected dog is almost always systemically ill. Clinical signs include one or more of the following:

High fever (elevated body temperature)
Muscle stiffness
Muscle spasms in the back (often painful)
Rigidity of the muscles of the neck and forelimbs (often painful)
Extreme sensitivity to touch (hyperesthesia); may jump or yelp when touched
Etc., etc.

(Full link is here:Meningitis in Dogs | Symptoms and Signs)

With all positive thoughts....[/QUOTE]

I had also found this online and thought this was exactly what it was. Our vet came up with the same diagnosis overnight and called the local neurologist. He does not think it is meningitis. Refusing a referral.

I took it upon myself to treat her with rimadyl to see if maybe it responded as if it were musculoskeletal. It has. They are going to prescribe more rimadyl and watch and see. Having X-rays sent from emergency to local vet for further review.

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Finally good news

Vet was stuck between musculoskeletal pain and Lyme disease. Sable got her third dose of Rimadyl this afternoon. I penned her and went to the butcher. Got home and took her out. No hesitation on the steps. Peed and went straight to her ball. Pawed at it and then picked it up. I could have cried tears of joy. Then she brought it to me and dropped it at my feet. She just ate dinner out of her bowl on the floor. I posted a video of her playing ball on Facebook. So happy. Thank you everyone for all of your support and patience. I could not have gotten thru this without you. It has been a tough ordeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.