Sleeping on bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaiducAgnita

Boxer Booster
There are probably different views on whether to let a dog sleep on the bed or not.
My Haiduc seems to like it on the bed, even though his crate is right next to the bed. He doesn't mind the crate, but he obviously loves the bed better.
The question is, are there any reasons NOT to let him sleep on the bed? Also, since he is 14 weeks (about 23lbs) what about rolling over him or the like?
How about potty training? Right now he is good about waking me up (since he sleeps in his crate overnight) and I take him outside. He hasn't had an accident in 2-3 weeks. But if he sleeps on the bed, could he just go down and pee in the room, and get back on the bed?

jamkaywill

Super Boxer
I have heard different views on whether you should let them sleep on the bed or not. My opinion is if you dont mind let them. When I first got Abbie I was not goimg to let her sleep with me but once I heard her crying in the other room I caved. I now can not sleep without her. I love waking up to doggy kisses. She is the best cuddle baby I could have hoped for.

BT and Ozzy

Boxer Booster
Ozzy sleeps at the foot of my bed. When he was learning to potty outside I would leave him in his crate for a few hours at night and when he woke me up I would put him outside to do his business. After he is a good boy he gets to sleep on the bed. We are still using this method today. He only gets to sleep in the room if he went potty first.

Gronar

Boxer Booster
Cuddles and Toots are WAY to big now to get in bed with me and the wife. They sleep on there doggie beds by our side. Plus we got the doggie door installed now and they just go out when they need to potty, no waking dad necessary!

GDOGS1

Boxer Insane
sometimes GDOGS will sleep in the bed,sometimes not.but he always wakes one of us to go out if has to,but he usually waits til the morning after breakfast.good luck on which ever way you go.

MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest

suzyqdogsmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
There are pros & cons. Do you live alone? Will you always live alone? A grown boxer of 60-80 lbs takes up a lot of room. Do you want them right next to you if they hear something in the night and jump up barking real loud? Most of them have a real gas problem, SuzyQ can just about asphyxiate us from her bed on the floor. My husband is absolutely against dogs on furniture or the bed, so SuzyQ stays on the floor. But it isn't as if she knows any different, and she has two really comfy pillow beds, one next to our bed upstairs and one in the living room downstairs. She sleeps in both of them at night, I guess depending on her mood. You have to keep in mind that if your pup gets fleas, they may get in your bedding/chair more easily if he is sleeping on them. I think its just a matter of what bothers you or doesn't. I can't see where it will make much difference to the dog, they adjust either way.

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
Joey sleeps with us, if he gets to hot he will get down on the floor ontop of the air conditioning vent, but he usually sleeps at our feet all night with the ocassional 3:00 am wake up call with his sweet big paw letting me know he has to go out to potty. I cant sleep if he isnt there cuddled up to my legs or feet, wich works well on a cold winter night.

rfdfirewife

Super Boxer
Our two sleep in the bed when DH is at work (every third night). They know that they are not allowed on the bed when hes home. Its just too many in the bed!!! We have a king sized bed, then add 2 people and 2 boxers its just too much. I have no problem with mine on the bed, but let me remind you, once on the bed it can be difficult to keep them off.

djheitz

Boxer Insane
Harley sleeps in bed with us, but Roxi prefers the dog bed on the floor. DH gets annoyed sometimes that he has to reach over 'that dog' to kiss me good-night, but he also isn't much of a snuggler at night. Harley and I keep each other warm on the cool nights.

Cleo's Mom

Super Boxer
Our babies sleep on beds beside our bed. They are both snugglers and would sleep right on us if allowed. They will jump up on the bed in the AM once we are awake usually Cleo kicks Daddy out. She puts her head on his pillow and gets under the covers. She is a mess. Cairo usually lays down at the bottom because his sister won't let him get any attention. He is so patient with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.