1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbulls

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by KELLY W, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammynDqtz

SammynDqtz Boxer Insane

It's all in how you raise them. There are no bad breeds only bad breeders/trainers/owners. Though if her parents were gamebred for fighting, she may have a greater chance of being a scrapper.
    I'd one day like to own a blue & white Pit Bull or AM Staff.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

2. Rockylvr

Rockylvr Banned

Any three of the breeds metioned before are wonderful dogs if given the chances. The only reason people have bad run ins with them is because of bad people. There is no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner. We took in an 8 week old male american pitt bull terrier. He lives at the other end of our house with our room mate. Rocky and Crush get along great. They play all the time and love each other to death. However they do perfer to have the other stay at their end of the house, simply because thats how it has been. I go in to our animal control often and that is where they hold animals being used in court cases(bitting, fighting and so on) These dogs are muzzled at first and handled and then if everyone feels they can be trusted they then start to slowly take the muzzle off and everyone comes to find out that they are some of the sweetest dogs(most of the time nicer then most of the small breeds everyone has come to love so much) Even with bad breeding I think there is still a chance for them. LIke every breed with the proper training they would be great pets. A friend of ours has a boxer who she got from a BYB who was trying to breed for fighting dogs. Hers has turned out to be very sweet, she has had to put alot of serious training in to him but it was well worth it. They are one of my favorite breeds and should be given a chance, but they arent for everyone. They need someone who would be very consitent with training and very firm with it.

3. craZ4HERKIE

craZ4HERKIE Boxer Insane

pitts & boxers

I believe that pitt bulls can be great dogs if they are raised properly, but please take into consideration the temperament of your boxer also.we bought a 6mth old male pitt bull, and he was comparable in size to our boxer who was 2 1/2 at the time. apparently his previous owner abused him, which we were unaware of at the time, he had problems with me at first, and he always had a problem with dark clothing. at 1st romeo(pitt) and herkie got along great, but then one day i went into a darkened room and i had on dark clothes, i was leaving the house, so i wanted to crate romeo(he had chewing issues), i went to reach for him and he growled at me, needless to say, herkie came to the rescue!the fight was broken up easily, but as time progressed over the next 2 mths, i believe there was a batlle for the alpha male going on. they began to fight over toys, attention, you name it they would fight. each time it was worse and worse, we were getting to the point we couldn't call herkie off of romeo, i believe he was set to kill him!it got to the point that they couldn't even see each other!i battled with myself over the decision to find romeo a new home, this was no way for him to have to live, him or herkie. i knew i had to find a proper home for him, but i was scared, i didn't want him to go somewhere that had other dogs or children, and i didn't want him to go to a home where his new owner may try to fight him.i finally found him a new home. but my point to this is please be careful of any new dog that you bring around your boxer, especially if they are both un-neutered males! i guess it will boil down to how they accept each other, and they establish their pack. good luck with whatever choices you make.

4. taznzoe

taznzoe Boxer Pal

I am a proud owner of a 3 year old pitt bull that i got at 5 weeks old. And now a new owner of a 5 week old boxer. Ive had my boxer pup for 4 days now and they both get along great. My pitt is being so gentle with my boxer. She is acting as if she was her own. I chose the Pitt after the death of my 10 year old doberman b/c i knew i could give one a good home and that there would be one less pitt out there getting a bad name. I to also beleive that any dog can be mean and that it is all how they are raised and trained. I socialized the heck out of my pitt. Today she is the best dog one can have. I call her my lick you to death pitt lol. She loves everyone and everything big or small. Not a mean bone in her body. She is a big toy freak and still shares her toys with other dogs. Will even share her food and treats as well. Pitts are very smart and are really easy to train. At least in my experience. She learned every command in 5 minutes time. She never once as a pup even tore up anything. And i mean anything and still hasnt till this day. I have never in my life seen a pup not do this. It was really suprising to me. She just became a toy freak. and she doesnt even tear them up. She still has her toys from a puppy. Of course i see now my new boxer pup will probally be the the one to finally destroy them lol. If someone comes over that is the first thing she will pick up and bring it to them wanting to play. It is very sad what these bad people have done to this breed all b/c they are a muscle dog and they think they dont feel pain. People are suprised that petie from the rascals was a pitt bull. That is what mine kinda looks like. Everyone says that to me. Any dog can be mean or turn mean. I do not think it is fair that we have to carry insurance on them only. It should be for any dog. My vet understands how good this breed can be and love her to death and has her down as a mix. I tell people she is a boxer and Dalmation mix. All b/c when i tell people she is a pitt they jump away even while she is licking them to death. I take her to petsmart all the time and she is licking all the kids and as soon as the parents say ah she is just so cute what kind is she and as soon as i say they take there kids away from her. So now i just say mix. Plus i dont want my neighbors freaking out thinking there is a pitt in the neighborhood. People really need to understand its all how they are raised and trained. Socializing is the main key in any dog. Yes she will bark if she is outside and she see's something and will bark if someone is at the door but as soon as you approach her she is all love. I dont even know if she would protect me if something happened. Its just really awfull they have such a bad rep. Its sad all these pitts are being put to death b/c of bad peoples doing and now inacent pitt puppies get put down in shelters just b/c of the bad name they have gotten. A puppy is a puppy and just that. No matter what kind. They are only taught what we teach them. Just like us when we were kids. I also think that it should be a law to take our dogs to training classes in order to own a dog. To many dogs are in the shelter and why b/c people cant handle there dog and dont take the time to train them the way they should be so of course the dog has no clue what is expected from it. Dogs want to please there owners but they cant if you dont teach them the proper way. I have owned a few breeds and even mixes and got them just to train them then i will find them a home so they dont end up in a shelter and so on. My new boxer pup im keeping. But i will still get a dog and raise and train them so that they will have a loving forever home. My pitt has loved everyone of them and they played all the time with males and females without any fights at all. I better end this b/c i could be here all day lol. Just wanted to say i love my pitt and wouldnt trade her for the world.

5. AllMyBoxerrs

AllMyBoxerrs Boxer Pal

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I'll say it anyway.

APBTs are generally sweethearts if trained right, but of course, like any other dog, there are the ocasional bad apples.
    I have a Pit and he is such a big cuddle bug and wouldn't harm a fly, but you have to remember the damage these dogs can do. And that is a WHOLE lot.

APBTs are almost always GREAT with kids, but it's a different story with dogs. Since they were originally created to fight other dogs, you cna imagine that they aren't always the best with other puppies. But, if they are sociallized A LOT when they are young, then you should have no problem what-so-ever, at least I didn't.

Just take her out and socialize her about a week or so after you get her. Read the "Boxer Puppies" section of BW and that should give you an idea on socializing her, if you aren't sure.

6. LisaM

LisaM Boxer Buddy

I am currently fostering a pit bull pup. He is very mellow and laid back. I am surprised! He gets a long very well with my Rottweiler. I believe it's the temperament of the dog, which is inherited from the parents, and how the dog is raised, trained and socialized.

7. Arc4

Arc4 Boxer Pal

The above quotes from this site:

http://www.realpitbull.com/agg.html

is exactly why I don't trust Pitbulls around other dogs and animals unsupervised. I know there are some that will live their whole lives and never fight, but as a whole they are more genetically predisposed to fight than other typical breeds. When nearly every legitimate, responsible, and ethical Pitbull breeder says nearly the same thing as above (regarding animal aggression), it tends to drive home a point.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pitbulls are great dogs. Everyone that I have played with that came from an ethical and knowledgable breeder was a sweetheart around people. At the same time, I've also seen the result of Pitbull attacks on other dogs, and its not a pretty sight.

Where do I stand? Pitbulls are awesome loving family dogs provided there are no other dogs/animals in the household. They make great pets for experienced dog owners, and wonderful playmates for children.

If one does have other dogs and brings home a Pitbull, its a good idea to really have significant experience and monitor the dogs all the time.

People that are brand new to dogs are probably best off starting off with a Lab, or another breed that is generally easier on newbie owners. Just IMO, YMMV.

8. Cindy Creel

Cindy Creel Boxer Insane

I have two boxers and a pit mix. He is the sweetest dog. He too was abandoned in our neighborhood, and I began feeding him. He is not agressive in the least. He and Samson play so good together. Delilah is a little jealous. He is a sweetheart.

Cindy

9. LisaM

LisaM Boxer Buddy

The lady that placed my foster pit bull who works with rescue said that the pit bull fights are usually with an intact male pit. Now I'm all confused as to who to believe!

My foster pit found a great home with a female lab. The new owners were concerned about dog fighting, but she assured them that he was nuetered and the dog fighting is usually with an intact male pit. I hope she's correct! I would hate for this little pup to need to be rehomed again. :(

10. Arc4

Arc4 Boxer Pal

Two females will sometimes fight too. And some people suggest that the female on female fights are worst....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.