1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbulls

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by KELLY W, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KELLY W

KELLY W Super Boxer

Does anyone know if pitbulls make good companions for boxers? My husband wants to bring home a baby that is abandon at his uncles garage. He said they are about 8weeks old. One of the guys at the garage is feeding them right now so they are not starving. My husband fell in love with the little female and wants to bring her home.

2. D'sMom

D'sMom Super Boxer

Pitbulls are the sweetest dogs!! Unfortunatly they have a bad reputation :(...the bad rep comes from bad breeding and poor training.

As for Pitbulls and Boxers getting along..my experience is VERY WELL. My friend has two pitbulls Duke and Duchess! They are the cuddlest and cutest dogs!! Dasia and Bianca absolutly LOVE playdates with them...they run around and play and play! They look so happy playing together!

I see no reason why a Boxer and Pitbull can not get along..especially if the pup is young you can start off by socializing the pup with your Boxer..granted that your Boxer is tolerant and well socialized with other dogs big and small. Good luck with the new one if you do choose to keep her :D

3. KC

KC Super Boxer

Pit bulls are whatever their owners teach them to be. There's no reason why any dog couldn't be a good companion for your boxer! And, pit bulls especially, I imagine, because they will be comparable in size. Make sure you're ready for the commitment to an abandoned pup, though. She could potentially have some health problems that could get expensive - there's no way to know since she's been abandoned. Other than that, I say go for it - they are great dogs when well trained - just like any other doggie! Let us know what you decide!:D

4. Scrapper's Mom

Scrapper's Mom Boxer Insane

I agree, there are some very sweet pitbulls. There is one like that in our obedience class. However, as D's Mom says, there can also be some problems with them due to bad breeding, bad training and bad owners. Just a suggestion - you might just want to find a way to check and see if your homeowner's insurance would have any problem with you having a pitbull, since I've heard that some insurance companies have a list of dog breeds they won't insure for. Unfortunately, there've been a couple of nasty pitbull attacks on children that made the news here recently so people can get kind of skittish about them. Also, I would try to find out as much as possible about the lineage of the puppy you are considering bringing home.

ALL puppies are adorable, but they do turn into dogs eventually.

5. D'sMom

D'sMom Super Boxer

Great point Scrapper's Mom! I always get head over heals with any kind of dogs.

Please take into consideration of ALL the factors before owning a pitbull or ANY kind of dog for that matter...not because they are going to turn on you but the hostility you may recieve from people :( (you know the evil ones ;) ) As well as the insurance of having a pitbull. Our friends that I mentioned told us that some insurances won't cover her because of her 2 beautiful GENTLE pitbulls. :( and people in general act nasty towards her when she is at the dog park because of her "babies".

Kelly W I am sure you are a great person and means to do the best for the baby...good luck and keep us posted on the "goings on". :D

6. matilda8255

matilda8255 Boxer Insane

I have an Am Staff terrier and 2 other dogs. My suggestion would be to get them neutered/spayed. They can be territorial if they aren't. My Am Staff is just as friendly as my boxer. Am Staff's/Pitbulls must be trained correctly! They are very stubborn and very smart. My boy can open the fridge we have to duct tape it closed or we will have no food. I love my dog and he loves people. He is not so good with other male dogs but he has always had 2 younger females to protect. With the correct training these dogs are very similar to boxers.

Concerning the insurance issues...I know this is wrong but I have had my pure breed Am Staff listed with my vet as a mixed breed terrier since I got him at 6 months. I have never had a problem because of this.

I just don't think its fair to discourage someone to own such a wonderfull breed because of a few badly trained dogs. Keep in mind people will run away from you when you walk them and you will have to explain to everyone you pass how wonderful your babies are and force them to play with them.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2002
  7. heidiho

heidiho Super Boxer

I feel that some dog breeds need different training than others. Some are more territorial than others. What works for a Boxer may not work for another breed. There is a reason that Pits get a bad rap. I would encourage you to thoroughly investigate the breed before bringing the puppy home. Breeds are different and require different responsibilities.

8. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

Are you positive these are purebred puppies? Pure bred puppies are not *normally* abandonded as so many see them as a great way to make a quick buck. If they are purebred, you will need to consider your decision carefully. Try and find out as much about the breeding as you can. Pit bulls can be great dogs. I have a friend who has 2 in our therapy program but also another that is dog aggressive. Game bred pitbulls are very dog aggressive, they are bred this way intentionally. They make great companions for humans and tend to do well in their own pack but will not be a dog fit for a dog park, a boarding facility, or a dog you can even take to Petsmart etc. And although they tend to do well in their pack, you must seperate them when you cannot supervise them. If these puppies are mix puppies then I wouldn't really worry about it as much--we have a mix that is the most wonderful dog. Great disposition and temperament and hasn't needed a vet yet! Best of luck.

9. KELLY W

KELLY W Super Boxer

Thanks for all of the info, everyone!! I dont know if they are purebred or not. In the area that they were found, people have pitbulls for fighting reasons and just to have mean dogs. If they arent mean or if people get sick of them, they are abandon. The humane society here is overrun with them, it is so sad. The puppies are living in an area that is horrible. It has nails and glass all over and other nasty things that are not suitable for puppies. I hope someone claims them soon, but if they haven't so far, i doubt they will. I will keep everyone posted if we decide to take her in! I will be doing research in the meantime.

10. boazdad

boazdad Banned

Hi Kelly! Like everyone said, Pitts Bulls can be super sweet. I had one and she was an angel. However, there ARE concerns which have led to all the rumors. They are naturally more dog aggressive and dominant than many breeds. That doesn't mean they can't be socialized and turn out to be total paccifists, it just means it won't be as easy as it might be with, let's say, your boxer. This difference also makes it ESPECIALLY important to obtain a Pitt Bull from a reputable breeder. It could be very likely that an abandoned litter of PB's came from fighting stock, or even worse in-bred fighting stock. I would be vary wary of this as you have another dog in your home. Good luck with your decision, keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.