1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbulls

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by KELLY W, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger Cinto

Tigger Cinto Boxer Pal

My Pup's girlfriend is an Am Staff and I must say she is the sweet Dog. They got along very well together and always have.

Tigger Cinto
    1 year old Brindle

2. boazdad

boazdad Banned

The Am. Staff, the Staff Bull Terrier, and the Pit Bull Terrier are three different breeds. Though they share many physical and temperment traits and even breed history, they are different. So Kelly, when you research try to zero in on the PB and not the others. (Although you did mention that you're not sure if they're pure bred or not.)

3. Chewy's Mom

Chewy's Mom Boxer Insane

Like a few others who have responded, we have a friend who owns 2 pitbulls - Max and Daisy. They are both very sweet and well-behaved, and our 2 boxers (even our 14 week old Stella) have played with them several times. However, even though Max is quite a good boy, I have noticed that it is a natural tendency of his to snap when he plays. Our babies don't do this, and I think it just comes naturally to some pits.

With some research and some caution, I'm sure you'll make a good decision, either way.

4. diego's heart

diego's heart Boxer Insane

It's been my experience that Pit Bulls and my boxer are either:

1) The best of friends :D
    - or -
    2) The worst of enemies :(

Boxers and Pits are in the bulldog family and I consider them "cousins". They do require focused training and methods. The lady at the local petstore runs the purebred pit bull rescue, and consequently we have a lot of pitbulls in our local dog park. [D's Mom: you should mention to Duke & Duchess' folks about Genesse Park in Seattle]. The rescue founder keeps asking when I'm going to get Diego a little sister. I reply "when I have my own house" - but, I don't tell her that his sister will be a boxer ;)!

And I've never met a cross AmStaff :p! Good luck with your decision and let us know what you've decided. ~ Lisa

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Boxer Buddy

I would advise that you be very careful. The breeding is very important and since you don't know what it is, you may want to pass even though she's adorable. My Jaxom was stolen from us and was subsequently killed by pitbulls who were bred to fight. They used him for practice. Admittedly i may be a bit predjudiced, but i would advise you to be careful.

6. Jack's

Jack's Boxer Pal

Well I figured I should respond to this since I own a pit mix (possibly purebred) that my husband rescued when he was 4 months old, from an area known for having fighters. Some guy was in the process of chasing my dog trying to kill him with a brick and that's when my husband scooped him up and brought him home. At the time we really didn't know what he was because he was malnurished, had mange, and just an over all mess. Now of course we have learned

For home owners insurance, I'm the same as someone else, I make sure to register my dog as a "mix" (if asked further I say lab mix) and I have never had a problem. We move around a lot so I know that I've got to do that.

Now, for personality. Well, I have probably been through more with mine than most people go through. Whoever said they are stubborn and require a lot of training weren't kidding. BUT once you get them trained, they are fantastic. And since these are so young, you probably wouldn't go through half the stuff I've gone through. Mine is fear aggressive with strangers and is slowely but surely coming out of it, (he's 3 and a half now) and it's all due in large part to the training. With kids he's better than most dogs I've ever seen. He puts up with my niece and nephew toddlers (6 of them 6 and under) and does fantastic. And other than that, he's a very big couch potato that loves cuddling under the covers in bed.

He gets along fantastic with dogs his own size or bigger. Male or female. And he does great with little dogs that belong to family members. But he doesn't do so great with strange little dogs. We've had a couple incidents that we've learned from. We have looked at getting him a boxer "sister" but haven't made a firm decision. But any of the boxers he's played with he's done great.

Now, because you're looking at a female, that could be completely different. They're probably more docile than the male who has to be the alpha like mine is.

I definitely wouldn't not consider this puppy just based on her breed. She may turn out to be the best dog you've ever had. And she'll be loyal to you completely for giving her a home.

The best thing I read is that any dog of any breed can be bad, it all depends on the owner and how it is raised.

hope that helps! Good luck.

7. rebels mom

rebels mom Banned

http://www.nyx.net/~mbur/apbtfaqcov.html
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/8174/
    http://www.realpitbull.com/
    http://groups.msn.com/MassachusettsAmericanPitBullTerrierClub/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us
    http://members.tripod.com/~apbt_r/
    This is a few sites have and if you would like more just let me know.You could take a look at my gallery too.I have alot of pictures of my Boxer and my APBT. I have been having Fido (APBT) for about a year and a half he is 2 in November.Rebel (Boxer) he is 7 months on the 19 of July.They have so much fun together and I also have a couple of skin kids. They all have alot of fun.Rebel is still alittle rough with the kids.Fido is just so cool with them .He lays there and lets my 3 year old lay on him like he is a bed.He watches her like a nanny and I trust in him.Iam not sure if it is just the way we raised him or if it is in his blood line.Let me know how it turns out and good luck.

8. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Yes I have a AM STAFF, she is eight years old and a sweet heart. She gets along beautifully with my Boxer Oskar. Both have been fixed. I believe that is important. Also training classes is important. At training classes you can get socialization, with other people and other dogs. They enjoy training and socializing. There is no bad dog, just uninformed bad dog owners. Pit Bulls get a bad wrap because people train them and breed them to be mean. When you see a guy walking down the street with a Pit with giant heavy chain wrapped around it's neck, what do you thing he's training that dog for? You would like to kick that guy in the butt. Remember take her to training and have her neutered, give plenty of love and she will get along with your Boxer. My Loca is excellent with my Oskar boxer

9. Cypress' Mom

Cypress' Mom Boxer Booster

insurance

I was attacked and had 53 stitches by "the sweetest pit mix in the whole world." Needless to say no homeowners insurance and no renters insurance. I am left with well over 10,000 dollars in medical bills and lost wages from work. Also a herniated disc in my back, possible surgery on my knee, and plastic surgery to correct 18 sites of deep punctures and lacerations. Don't take this the wrong was but it is for your protection in the long run. I think trying to skirt the insurance is wrong. I have a 5 year old pure boxer and he has never once bitten anyone or anything but I carry 100,000 premium on my homeowners policy, just in case. If he did that and I would never expect him to I would want the person covered for all their bills. Reguardless of the breed I think all dog owners should have liability insurance. Insurance is just that, just like we are required to have it if driving a vehicle. I think it is wrong to require some breeds to have insurance and not others but am not aware if that is the case. Anyway, it is just a good idea, it protects you in case anything awful and tragic happens. Thanks

10. shannonmac

shannonmac Completely Boxer Crazy

ok I can give some good pitbull experiences and really rotten pitbull experiences... for good experience my mom has a pitbull female rescue... they got her at 8 weeks... she is the best! she was very thoroughly trained by my step dad... he is just very firm with her and was crate trained and she listens! dhe gets along awsome with kneesaa they lived together for quite awhile...
    bad experience would be the male pit that attacked kneesaa... his training was being hit when he was bad... and came to find out that he had awful experiences with other dogs attacking them...
    just goes to show you its all in training and socialization... also I believe females are more docile then the males...
    feel free pm me if you want more info :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.