Hemangiosarcoma---HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasham

Boxer Booster
Help! I'm freaking out here. Cyrus has had a lump on his back upper leg since February. He was just 18 months old when I first noticed it. We had it drained by our vet. It came out as blood and he thought it was a blood blister or something and told us to watch it. It stayed the same size for a long time and then recently started to get bigger. We finally had it removed this week and I'm crying my eyes out because the results came back as a hemangiosarcoma. It was just under the skin so it's considered a grade 1-2. The vet said they got all the margins and that the only thing he would recommend is to possibly go back in and remove more of the surrounding tissue even though it came back as clean margins. The lab report indicated a low likelihood of coming back, but I've been reading on the internet and reading stories here and none of the prognoses sound good at all. Cyrus just turned 2 last month. Should I be freaking out here? Should I just trust my vet and take a "wait and watch" approach or get aggressive and do chemo on this. I tend to be a worrywort and overreact on a lot of things but I'm seriously in shock and am shaking and don't know what to believe. I cannot even fathom losing my baby. Help, anyone, I need opinions and advice on what I should do!
 

RoxyBeans

Boxer Buddy
Maybe get a 2nd opinion just to be sure? I hope everything goes ok!!! Sorry I don't have much advice. Sending healing vibes your way!
 

GDOGS1

Boxer Insane
OMG!!!!!!!!! I dont know what to tell you as GDOGS only had a grade 1 MCT and we had it removed and he has been fine ever since,but it never hurts to get another opinion.but am sending some of those good ol' boxer healing (((((vibes)))))Cyrus's way and (((((HUGS))))) to you and please keep us all posted.will keep you in our thoughts and prayers




MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest
 

Cami

Boxer Insane
So sorry to hear about Cyrus' diagnosis.
It would definitely be best to take him to see an oncologist if that is an option. There is a lot of information shared among specialists long before it makes it into print where general practitioners can find it.
Any cancer diagnosis needs the experience and expertise of an oncologist.
Certain cancers require certain testing (blood work, ultrasounds, etc...) and an oncologist can help guide you through what further testing and or treatments are best for a specific type of cancer.
Better to deal with the "what-ifs" for cancer sooner rather than later. Veterinary oncology has made a lot of progress in recent years and treatments are becoming mainstream.
A consult at minimum would be helpful.
 

tasham

Boxer Booster
Thanks for the responses and well wishes. I've been crying so badly today and shaking I can hardly type. Thankfully I did find an oncologist in my city, so I made an appointment with her for next week. The wait until then is going to kill me. How could this happen to my young baby? I'm so shocked and mad and distraught. I've fed him the best, highest-quality food I can since he was a puppy. I've done everything I know of as "right" as I can. I know these things are not in our control, but it seems so unfair to happen to such a young dog. I can't even look at him without bursting into tears.
 

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
I am so, so sorry :( I have done some research on canine hemangiosarcoma, and even though it is generally fast-spreading, if it is caught early and the affected tissue removed with clean margins, the prognosis improves tremendously. That's very reassuring that your vet said he got all the margins, however I do not agree with a "wait and watch" approach for hemangiosarcoma. I think you should tackle this with full force now, rather than wait for something else to happen. Blood tests and x-rays should be done the check his heart, spleen, and other organs that are commonly affected by this type of cancer.

I think you have a good chance of beating this... just think positive, and be proactive. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts. Sending Cyrus LOTS of healing ((((((vibes))))))


Some helpful sites:
Hemangiosarcoma in dogs
Crash Couse, canine cancer
Is Canine Cancer Prevention Possible?
 

tasham

Boxer Booster
Thanks for those links, Caney Creek! I am going to be as aggressive as I can with fighting this. I've spoken to my vet several times today (probably have driven him crazy!) and he has said there does not show evidence of it spreading and that because Cyrus is young it works to his advantage. I'm trying the best I can to be positive, which is hard for me on things like my babies. I know that is all I can do until we find out more. I want to thank all of you for the great healing vibes and words of understaning and encouragement. I never expected anything like this in my young Cyrus. Baxter, my nearly 11-year-old, has had numerous tumors removed throughout the years, not one has been really bad. And here Cyrus just turned 2 and has this awful thing to deal with. I've been in true shock all day. Anyway, thank you all. I'm giving you all big THANK YOU hugs! :) And I will definitely keep you posted on what we learn next week from the oncologist.
 

kelseighgirl

Completely Boxer Crazy
Please keep us posted and I hope with fingers and paws crossed that your baby comes out of this ok.

Many positive thoughts and hugs!!!
 

KGorczyca

Boxer Pal
I am going through the same thing w. Oscar...

My 3 year old boy, Oscar, was just diagnosed with the exact same thing - I posted a few weeks ago. We were also told that the tumor was a low grade and was compleatly removed. My regular vet referred me to an oncologist, and we have just stared a 12 week Chemotherapy treatment.

The oncologist we are seeing told us that this is one of the most aggressive types of cancer, however b/c it is in his skin it is also the most treatable - if caught early.
We were told that without treatment we could expect 4-6 months of life expectancy, however with treatment, & b.c we caught it so early, we could expect 18-24 months and maybe more.

It was a tough decision to put Oscar though Chemo, but we are in week 3 and he is doing great - very few side effects. I think this was the right thing to do.

I would definitely recommend going and seeing an oncologist. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions - I know what you are going through exactly - I wish you all the best.
Kate (and Oscar)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top