1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Snakes??

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Greg, Jun 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonaldMM

RonaldMM Boxer Pal

My son's had snakes when they were growing up. So happy they are out of that now. I hated to buy the baby mice to feed them:)

2. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Got Snakes

I have to buy two large rats a couple of times a month. I have two large Ball Pythons and they get hungry every 3 to 4 weeks. I tried to give them frozen dead rats from the pet store, but they would not eat them. So then I had thawed and smelly dead rats to get rid of. Some snake owners perfer the frozen dinner, because it's safer. Live rats tend to bite snakes and sometimes people. I did get bit on the hand and had to get a tetanus shot. My older Ball python, "Gloria" got bit on the mouth and got infection. She had go to the vet every 42 hours for a series of shots that got pretty expensive. But live is all they will eat.

3. catneon

catneon Completely Boxer Crazy

Well my Corn doesn't have a name yet...I don't seem to be able to decide I'll keep you posted!
    And as far as buying baby mice all my lizards eat pinkies so it's nothing new for me!
    I also have the "live feeding" debate, my corn does eat both but I am sure prefers the live, I'll ask him!!!!!:)

4. Rocky's Ma

Rocky's Ma Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't have any snakes, but I did have an Oscar (and I plan to again someday). I had my Oscar for a year and a half. I got him at just 1" and at the time I gave him away he was about 9". They are the most awesome fish ever and have TONS of personality. I actually cried when I had to give him away because I was moving...I even drove an hour to meet the people I was giving him to. I am still a member at http://www.oscarfish.com (think Boxerworld for Oscar owners!) because I can't wait to get another one. Here is my Oscar (named Oscar): http://flickr.com/photos/pissyrissy/45743990/in/set-72057594092798611/

5. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Got Snakes

Hey Rockys Ma, Thats an awesome picture of your fish Oscar ( The Oscar). I love the added touch of the Absolut bottle in the tank. The picture is beautiful. Are you a photographer? Unfortunately that theard was written a while back and both of my oscars went to fish heaven. The tank got some kind of infection, wiped them both out in a couple of days. Since then I broke the whole tank down, cleaned it up, reset it up and it is now ready for a couple of more oscars. I've been waiting to find a couple of good size ones at a cheap price. I have a fairly large size percussamus ( spelling is questionable) in the tank now. He keeps it clean of algee. I have two other tanks also, both with tropical fish. I have bad luck with fish tanks, something always dying and getting replaced. I do much better with my Ball Pythons, (OSKAR & MONTE) they are heathy and doing great. I handle them daily, they love this hot and humid weather we have. I take them outside daily in the warm weather to make up for the cold winter months. Hope to hear more about your oscar when you get one. Maybe try a Ball Python, they are cool.

6. Rocky's Ma

Rocky's Ma Completely Boxer Crazy

Thanks for the compliments! To answer, no, I'm not a photographer, but I like to take pictures.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your fish. I got my Oscar when he was just 1" long without realizing what large fish they turn into. I then began researching (should have done that first!) and came across the website I mentioned in my previous post (oscarfish.com) and learned a lot and was able to take great care of my fish. He grew into a beautiful 9" fish before I had to re-home him when I moved. I actually cried. You might want to check that site out since you said you've had bad luck with your fish. The people there have much knowledge and are willing to help (like they do on Boxerworld!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.