1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Snakes??

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Greg, Jun 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Anyone have pet snakes? I have two Ball Pythons, Gloria and Monte. Ball Pythons never grow much larger than six foot and thats pretty large for a Ball. My two are about five each maybe a little longer but fully grown. Gloria is about eight years old and Monte is about five. They are really nice, not noisey at all. They eat large size feeder rats, one every two or three weeks. They are well socialized and like people and to be handled. They live in seprate 55 gal tanks, but come out alot. People think snakes are slimey and moist, but they are soft and dry.

2. ROB

ROB Super Boxer

We have a 4 + Ft. corn snake called Phluphphie (fluffy). We picked her up at a friends pet store and every time we went in there, she would go directly to my wife. Even now my wife is the only one who can handle her where she will lie still, she tries to get away if I pick her up.

3. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Snakes

Hi Rob, Thanks for returning snake call. Fluffy sounds like a cool corn snake a little charmer. I to have two Boxers, after seeing your homepage and reading the Phaylynn story I'm glad you found Max. Max seems to be a great dog. I also have a white boxer named Bugsy. Bugsy is eight years old and has cropped ears. His two year old house brother has natural floppy ears. His name is Oskarevilicon and he is a flashy fawn. We all live in Wisconsin. Puckers sounds like a sweet little girl. Thanks for the great homepage, it brought a tear and happiness and thanks for the Fluffy report.

4. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Nope! no snakes here! Never has been and never will be. Glad you guys are enjoying them though.

5. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Snakes alot

Hi Jean, Thanks for your response to Got Snakes. I know we can,t convince you to having a friendly reptile. Talking to you in chat room makes me think your not interested in our friends. Just remember they don't bark and you don't have to bath them either.

6. Boo

Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

My daughter (9) wants to get a Childrens Python. I have told her that when she can buy one and afford to keep it herself, then she can have one. I figure I still have 6 years before she's of working age. :LOL:

I must say that I do like snakes, just not what they eat. Do your snakes eat dead food? Stephi said that you can just buy pre packaged frozen mice and just warm them a little to feed. A friend though had a snake that would only eat live chicks. Would not eat anything dead at all. ICK!

7. Chinadoll

Chinadoll Boxer Buddy

This is so funny Rob my good friend has a corn snake named fluffy also. :p Hers is an albino I think, it has red eyes.
    I use to have a rat snake that my son named Nofeet, but the older kids my mother in law use to baby sit let him loose while I was at work. I was so mad and my son was heart broken. :mad: I hope to get another snake in the near future though.

8. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Snake Chatter

Hi Boo, Thank You for answering "Got Snakes". It's great your daughter already takes an interest in having a snake. It's just a matter of time before she gets one. Yes I tried feeding my snakes dead frozen rats;once. I didn't like it because once the the big frozen dead rat thaws out it really sinks. If your snake is not hungry your stuck with a large dead thawed out rat that smells. I only feed live rats, but if your snakes don't eat it in a few minutes, about 15 minutes you have to take it away. Rats can start to knaw on the snake and cause infection. That gets expensive at the vet when your snakes has to get a bunch of anti-infection shots. Been there done that. In the wild or jungle a non hungry snake can move away, but a captive snake in a tank can't move to get away and the rat will bite him. I have a 10Gal. tank with mesh cover to hold the rat until snakes get the munchies. I only feed my snakes, Gloria and Monte large rats. Some people with larger snakes need larger food, so they feed the snakes chickens,rabbits, and even unwanted cats. My ball Phytons will never get bigger than rat food size. I also have a couple of Oscars in a 90 gallon tank and they are growing fast. Hope to hear from you when your daughter gets a snakewormicon. Thanks

9. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Not any more! I had two boas for quite some time. The female was about 6 feet long, and the male considerably smaller, at about 5 feet but much more slender. I can't believe I can't recall what kind they were (it was 15 years ago), but I think they were columbian boas(?? They were one of the more common types of larger boas that are kept as pets.) I enjoyed them for many years, but at my mother's insistence, I got rid of them when I had my first son. She came to visit when he was born, and spent the night on a sofa bed at the foot of the ceiling high snake enclosure. In the morning, she said she wouldn't leave until I agreed to get rid of the snakes. Looking at my 7 pound baby, and the 6 foot snake, I had to agree, and found them a new home within the month. I traded them for a 55 gallon, complete aquarium set up, which my baby son really enjoyed.

My male was very mellow, but the female nailed me too many times to count, leaving teeth in my skin more than once. It didn't hurt that much, but it scared me to death when she'd strike at me. Overall, I enjoyed them as pets, but when I got an iguana later, I found him to be more affectionate and interesting than the snakes were, and his vegetable + crickets diet was easier to manage.

The male escaped once, and was missing for four months. I had considered him gone for good, but then one day, I moved a tape deck in the living room, and there he was, curled up under it. He was thin, but recovered nicely with some TLC. I found him while I was getting ready for a party at my house, for my work friends. One of them was a herpatologist, and during the party I mentioned the skinny snake. Next thing I knew, there were about 20 very inebriated guests standing around watching a frozen chick get cut up with scissors, and force fed into the snake. All these years later, people still talk about that party. It was unusual, to say the least!!

When I was in college, there was a fellow on my dorm floor, Eddie, with HUGE snakes. The biggest was Killer, a reticulated python about 12 feet long and about 5-6 inches in diameter. He was named Killer after he ate the neighbor's cat on the front lawn. The whole floor would gather 'round when it was feeding time, and since I had an enormous crush on the snakes' owner, I would capture smaller ducks from the campus duck pond for Killer to snack on.
    Eddie would let his snakes soak in the women's bathtub (the men's room didn't have one), and take supervised "walks" in the corridors, which scared the heck out of more than one college coed......
    One night, I donated my guinea pig. I had been trying to find him a home for over a month, with no luck, so I gave him to Eddie. He put it in the cage, but the snakes showed little interest. We all sat around drinking, as college freshmen will do, and suddenly I thought of my guinea pig, and changed my mind. I rushed over to the snakes' cage, just in time to hear a horrible squeal. I was moments too late.... Oh, yes, the crazy days of youth......
    I helped treat one snake for a fungal infection in it's mouth. Four of us held the snake down, while Eddie cleaned the eroded areas and trimmed away infected tissue. It was an adventure, let me tell you!!!!
    I ended up getting kicked out of the dorms, myself, for trying to keep two big dogs in my room. No pets were allowed, but snakes are a little easier to get away with.....they are quiet, I'll give you that much!!!!!

10. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

More Snake Chatter

Hi Lava linda, Thanks for your response to "Got Snakes". Boy it sounds like your college days were crazy. I envy you owning the big boys. I just don't have the guts to get any bigger snakes than what I have. My ball Pythons are just enough for me. I've never got tagged by my guys yet, but if I did I would poop my pants. I see how they hit the rat and it's hard. I keep them pretty well fed so they don't look at me as lunch. I handle mine very much everyday and trust them totally. In eight years we've got along. One of mine got a fungal infection when a rat bite him in the mouth. I took him to my vet, who is a very good reptile vet also for a series of expensive shots. Thanks for enlighting me with your college snakes days, I enjoyed reading about them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.