1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Snakes??

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Greg, Jun 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Got Pet Snakes

Boy, February 2003 all ready. Where does the time go ? Well I hope everybody came into the New Year in one piece ? Gloria and Monte ( my pet Ball Pythons ) are doing very good. They sleep alot in the winter months, not so active. They both have heaters under thier tanks, but they like the summer. They enjoy the warm summer sun. The good thing is, in the winter they don't eat as much. They'll make up eating in the summer. I have a large white rat for a house guest now, since December. That was the last time they ate. I give them both a chance to make lunch out of the guest weekly, but after 15 or 20 minutes, thier not interested, I take the rat away. So the fat rat is getting fatter everyday. He lives in a 10 gallon tank above my refrig. That way my Oskar ( Boxer Kid) doesn't see him and cries, wanting to play with him. Hope to hear from everyone, about thier pet snakes.

2. betsyjean

betsyjean Boxer Booster

Hello fellow snake lover!! I have never been afraid of snakes, but when I started dating my boyfriend a couple years ago, he had just gotten a ball python named Mitch (yes, they copied that name from the movie "Road Trip"...unique huh:rolleyes: ) And I instantly fell in love with Mitch! He is basically my snake also, since I basically live with my boyfriend. Whenever I am over I have him around my neck, I really think Mitch knows who I am! (Is that possible??) Just a couple months ago, they (him and his roommate) added another snake to the family...a Boa. He's still just a baby, while Mitch is about two years old. I would love to talk more about them...I have tons of questions....talk to you soon!

3. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Got Pet Snakes

Hi Betsyjean, Yes Ball Pythons reconize friendly people and they shy away from bad people. I work as a bartender and take one or the other of my two snake kids to the bar once in a while. Mostly in the summer, when the temp is warmer on sunny day's. Everybody like's to touch or hold them, which is great socializing for them. People learn that snakes are not slimey or smelly. It's a great education tool for people. There are a few people that send bad vibes to the snake and she does shy away from them. I aways watch people closely so they don't harm them by being to ruff in handling the snakes. I'm sure Mitch realizes you are his friend and loves to be held by you. It's a great bonding between you both. By the way, you didn't mention the name of the new Boa kid your roomate has. Hope to hear more about Mitch and the new kid soon.

4. betsyjean

betsyjean Boxer Booster

They haven't really gotten around to naming the boa yet! I keep pressuring them, and I think they finally settled on Bogart?? Who knows. How big do the pythons get? I know my boyfriend wants a huge snake, and then the vet told him the phython wouldn't get much bigger than he is now (3 feet long), so that's why they got the boa...boys :rolleyes: . The vet also said that sometimes ball pythons are very picky eaters...I think we got lucky with Mitch because he will eat every week, and he eats them (the mice) right away. He eats so often that Neil (my guy) has decided to put him on a diet....I could go on and on about the snakes, I think they are so interesting...I've got lots of stories and questions...talk to you later!

Betsy

5. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

That's a cool name, Bogart. I have a friend that named his dog Bogart, we call him Bogie. Bogart is cool, did you try Boa-gart. Haha Just trying to be funny. I can tell you Balls can grow to be five or six foot. Both of mine are about five or six foot. Maybe, judging from the size of your Ball, your boyfriend should think of upgrading Mitch's food to small to medium size rat. My kids eat large size rats. It fills them up and they don't eat that often then. They eat more in the summer, warmer month's than the colder month's. Remember if he does put a rat in the tank with Mitch and Mitch isn't hungry, he has to take the rat out after 10 or 15 minute's. The rat will start to biting the snake and cause infection. Been there, done that aready. Some people feed frozen dead rats to thier snake's. They feel that it's safer for the snake. I tried that , but the snake wasn't interested. Then I was stuck with a smelly thawed out dead rat. I never wanted a Boa, just the size is to much for me. As they get bigger they eat more. I can't see my self feeding a large Boa live chickens or rabbits. My girlfriend has a pet bunny and if I had to feed a Boa a feeder rabbit, she would kill me and the snake. Haha. I'm afraid of the huge snakes, such as a Boa, your gotta make sure they are never hungry. Or the neighbors pet dog and cats might start to disappear. Hope to hear more about Mitch, Bogart, and Neil. Good Luck

6. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Got Pet Snake's

Hi everybody, been along time since we talked about our pet snake's. Gloria and Monte are doing fine. Any new people in the Boxer Board have pet snake's? I have two Balll Python's, along with my Boxer boy Oskar. Like to hear from you about your pet snake's :cool:

7. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Got pet Snakes

Wish everybody a MERRY CHRISTMAS, from Monte and Gloria, ball python's

8. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Merry Christmas to Monte and Gloria too :)

We don't have pet snakes but this winter we had a Carpet Snake live in our pantry and just last week a Green Tree Snake decided to rest up in the poles of our house (I guess a pole house looks like a tree if you are a snake :) ).

I really like snakes, but get a bit tired of doing a dangerous snake check of the yard several times a day - we live in a area that is home to nearly every venomous Australian snake :eek: Luckily they are generally easy to herd out of the yard..

Sharon

9. Greg

Greg Boxer Booster

Got Pet Snake's

Krikkit, Thank's for the Holiday Greeting, I don't think I would like living somewhere that you have to check for venomous snake's daily. I don't have that problem, we don't have piosonous snake's here and mine are kept in sperate 55 gallon tank's. They come out daily for socialization. Greg O

10. DempseysPaw

DempseysPaw Boxer Pal

snakes on vacation

Over the years I kept many snakes. Some of my favorites were a Florida King snake, Red Rats, Honduran Milk, Ball and Burmese Python's and a variety of Boa's. They never woke me up barking, I never had to walk them in the rain, I never had to run home to feed them or let them out and I could go on vacation for a week and not have to worry about them. They were without a doubt the easiest pets to care for that I've ever owned. I love my dogs and wouldn't trade them for anything; I also refuse to board them so I haven't gone anywhere in six years that I couldn't be home in time to take care of them or take them with me. I sometimes wish I still kept snakes so I could just take a vacation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.