1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canidae changing formula??

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by PARIS05, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ablkberry

ablkberry Boxer Pal

I just switched my Rocky off of Canidae as he had issues with runny stool the whole year he was on it. I know that ALS is the best of the Canidae brand but he experienced it with that as well. Just switched him to EXCEL, which is by royal canin. He started out well but now has runny stools and he goes about 3x per day. I am not sure where to go now. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I would encourage you to look at the dog food analysis website and choose a 4, 5, or 6 star food to try. Royal Canin unfortunately is a pretty low rated food. I went from Canidae to Natural Balance and that has worked well for my dogs, but all are different.

Good luck!

3. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

I also bought TOTW for Tyson. He loved it, but after a couple days, he got hives. Not sure if it was the food, or if he got into something else. I got a 15# bag of Solid Gold Hodgenflocken (sp?) and his doesn't like it at all. I got the big bag because prices around here are pretty expensive. Went to Petco and got it Christmas eve.

Thinking of trying the TOTW again slowly to see if it was that or not. It wasn't too badly priced here.

I think we need to rename this thread to
    "OK, now what do we feed?" :D

4. Georgies Dad

Georgies Dad Boxer Pal

Hi All,

Does anyone out there feed their dogs the new Canadae Grain free formulas?? Do these foods have the same issues as do their formulas with grains. I'm feeding George "Before Grain Buffalo" now and he's doing great but I want to switch to something with a similar protein percentage. The other two Before Grain formulas do not have significant variations in the protein sources (mostly chicken meal)to be a good choice for rotation foods.

Thanks & Happy New Year

Al

5. ghsheffield

ghsheffield Boxer Buddy

I hope this is our problem. . .long, but need to get it out

I am somewhat relieved to have read all of the posts on this issue, yet just as frustrated as all of you are with Canidae and the changes in the formula.

Diesel has been on ALS since we got him at 8 weeks in November of 2007. We didn't start him out on ALS right away, but soon transitioned him to it after joining this forum and doing some research. In November of 2008 we went out of town for Thanksgiving and had my brother-in-law house and dog sit Diesel. I bought the medium size bag of ALS since we were running low to make sure he had enough when where gone. Upon checking in on our boy, were told that his stool was yellow and runny, and that his stomach was making strange noises. I didn't think much of it, figured he was stressed with us not being around.

We we got home I needed to buy more food and purchased the large 40lb bag as usual without thinking twice about it (I hadn't the tread on this issue, nor was I looking). I started to notice that his stool was loose and that he wasn't "into" eating his food like he had been in the previous months. The dog would always eat, but now he would sniff his food, look at his food bin, and then at us as if he was saying "c'mon where is my food". We didn't know what was going on and would respond with "eat, your food is in your bowl". Diesel would eat it, but not like usual. We should not have ignored this.

Over the next two weeks something was off. We had a Christmas party and a guest gave him some people food. He vomited and I attributed it to that. He was counter surfing and snagged a piece of cornbread. Once again, attributed the symptoms to that. He also got a hold of a few wooden ornaments and some "stuffed" Santas. On December 23rd, he went to the vet for his yearly shots. I took two stool samples (one of the mucusy reddish and one very loose). I explained what was going on with the ornaments and food, but that he had not eaten anything whole (to our knowledge), just broken it up into pieces. The stool and rectal exam came back negative and the vet said everything was normal. We were given some meds for the loose stool. Upon taking the medication, things were getting better although his stool was still somewhat loose and yellow. He had an appetite (and still does) and was active as a normal year old boxer. So, we were feeling good thinking things were improving. We went away for New Year's left him in capable hands. We came back to the same signs and symptoms. We were told he wasn't really eating either. The day we got back he ate like a champ. Must have been stress, right?

That was a week ago. So, here we are now with a huge problem. Diesel is not well. He acts completely normal with wanting to play exercise. However, he has not eaten consistently since Thanksgiving. He has had loose stools, diarrhea, mucusy stool that is maroon to red in color, and now he isn't holding his food down. The vomiting has just started on a somewhat regular basis over the last week. The vomit is a cross between partially digested food and what looks like regurgitated food. As soon as it comes up, he is willing to eat again. He is going to a different vet today at 11:00am (recommend by other boxer owners in the area). All kinds of things have been going on inour heads as to what the problem could be from mesoesophagus to cancer.

Yesterday, I started thinking back to when his symptoms started to occur. I realized that it happened when I bought the bag of food. We though maybe we got a "bad" bag, so I went to store to get a small bag of the ALS and a can of the wet chicken/rice/fish formula (we tried that once or twice when he wasn't interested in eating the kibble - he loves it) b/c he was holding anything down and I wanted him to eat. I asked the manager if anyone had complained about Canidae lately. I was surprised when he said no, but sales have been down across the country on it since they changed the formula (his sales have not declined, but they keep a large stock of it). Changed the formula? Immediately, I came home and got on the forum to see this thread.

I hope to God that this is our problem.

6. ghsheffield

ghsheffield Boxer Buddy

After three days and two nights at the vet, our boy is home. As stated previously tests have come back negative. A diarrhea sample was sent off and we should get that back in few days. While at the vet, he did not have any vomiting issues. He stool was loose yesterday and formed today. Say what you want, but I am 100% sure it was the Canidae.

He is on a prescription diet for now. I will be changing to Innova or something of the like once he is off the prescription diet. Hopefully we won't have anymore problems.

7. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I'd ditch the prescription diet and home cooke chicken and rice for a couple of days. The RX diets are loaded with fillers, nasties such as by-products, extra sugars, it's basically McDonald's for dogs (or at least about as healthy). The chicken and rice with maybe a bit of pumpkin will work just as well for the runs, be MUCH easier on your guy's stomach, and be a whole lot healthier.

8. DOCA

DOCA Boxer Pal

I think y'all had better see this:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/01/prweb1828194.htm

I hope your dogs are OK, and that Wellness and the other 4+ Star foods stay the way they are.

9. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

I can't believe those people!!! If they were so figgin committed to pets, they would have heeded the customers advice and return their products to original form. They are just so full of BS IMO. Just really ticks me off.

10. katers

katers Boxer Pal

Dangit I wish I would have seen this thread earlier, I just (as in, 2 hours ago) got my mom to buy our dog a bag of Canidae: All Life Stages because it was a great price and much better than the 3 star food she was on. I guess we'll keep an eye on her stools?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.