1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canidae changing formula??

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by PARIS05, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PARIS05

PARIS05 Boxer Booster

I just left Concord Pet Supply in Dover,DE...the only place in the area to get quality foods. The manager there just told me he heard Canidae was going to be changing their formula. He also made it sound like some other companies may do the same thing. He said because the prices of Chicken meal and Turkey meal have went up, so they are going to be putting Rice first.

I really hope this isn't true and if so, I will be switching ASAP...Just wondering if anyone has heard this?? It's crazy enough that food has jumped like $5-$6 a bag and now they are going to make it a lesser quality food???

2. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

Oh they'd better not!!!! I just switched my boys to canidae!
    :(

3. PARIS05

PARIS05 Boxer Booster

I hope they don't, but that's what he said...Now the question is does he know what the heck he is talking about...

4. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Oddly enough it looks like (on their website anyway) that they only changed the Lamb and Rice formula. I'm not a fan of rice bran or tomatoe pomace, but compared to other foods and price versus nutrition it's still a very good food IMO. But, looking at the website, it doesn't look like the chicken and rice or original have been affected and it specifically says that a meat meal is still their #1 ingredient so rice is not the first ingredient...at least not yet.

5. PARIS05

PARIS05 Boxer Booster

I see that they have changed the lamb and rice formula, but I only get the All life stages. I will just keep and eye out...Thanks for the feedback!
    Mike

6. Cyrus2005

Cyrus2005 Boxer Insane

I feed this food to my dog and Felidae to my Kitties. I have noticed the last bag of cat food seemed to have quite a bit of dog food pieces mixed in with it. Wonder how this happens?? The cats pick it out! It does make me question the quality of the food...

7. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

hmmm.. i feed them the lamb and rice version..

i think they are still good food.. much better than many ;)

8. PARIS05

PARIS05 Boxer Booster

No, I still believe it is a good food, but they put different types of grains in the lamb and rice formula than just rice. Just letting everyone know.

9. IluvLucy

IluvLucy Boxer Insane

I will be switching our dogs. I don not like the changes at all! I told my supplier about the changes and she is not going to be ordering it anymore. I will be switching to the All Life Stages (they need a change anyway) but who knows how long before they change THAT formula? With the prices of different ingredients going up I think you will be seeing a lot more formula changes in most dog foods. Something to be watching for! It is interesting to note that with the huge increase in the price corn, the "cheap" dog foods will either have to dramatically increase their prices or upgrade to better ingredients! :LOL:

10. FBLambeau

FBLambeau Boxer Buddy

Hey all! I just got back from my local pet food warehouse and when I got home noticed the change in the Lamb and Rice ALS from Canidae. I JUST got done switching my pup (10 months) from the Regular ALS to the Lamb and Rice (just for a change). From their website (and from peeling the sticker of new ingredients off the bag to reveal the old) it seems they've kept lamb meal as their number 1 ingredient and added some fresh lamb meat while diversifying the carbs to include several new sources (not just rice as before) but have kept the carb content approx the same percentage of the total food. The kibble is a little bigger and a little lighter (due to the new ingredients and a lowered cooking temp to retain more nutrients (info from their website).

They've cited rising food cost and a desire to decrease dependency on rice as a motivator in changing the formulation. Has this new formula been evaluated on that dog food analysis website?? I think the changes are for the better...I just wish there was a way for us to get a notice that they are changing their ingredients BEFORE I make the trip to buy a new bag of food, otherwise I just feel like they're trying to pull a fast one.

Lambeau seemed to like the new stuff :)

Krista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.