1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adopted a Boxer Yesterday - Now he might be a mix breed...need opinions

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by MattB, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattB

MattB Boxer Buddy

We adopted a 2 year old boy boxer yesterday thinking he was 100% Boxer but then we recieved additional paperwork stating him as a mix. Of course we wern't expecting a pedigree but I don't see any signs that he is a mix of anything. He may not be quite the breed standard, but I think he is all Boxer. What are your thoughts?

I do not know how to post pictures but here is a link to his album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106644...&authkey=Gv1sRgCK2Sreiwk7_PHw&feat=directlink

2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

He looks purebred. When you say "adopted" I am assuming you mean from a shelter, humane society, rescue etc. If you are talking about shelter paperwork they often read Boxer- Mix because there is no way of a shelter knowing 100%. I have pulled many purebred boxers out of shelters that were labeled as a mix. Its just something that shelters and sometimes rescues do. If your really curious you can do a DNA test. With that being said what does it matter? He looks boxer. You obviously liked him, his personality, his behavior, his looks or you wouldn't have adopted him. Right? Unless you paid top dollar for him from a breeder and now feel that you were deceived I don't really see why it matters.

3. DebbieJen

DebbieJen Completely Boxer Crazy

We adopted our furbaby from a rescue and she is a mixed breed but we love her to death.

4. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Looks like a Boxer to me :) Very cute, congrats lovicon

5. MattB

MattB Boxer Buddy

We adopted him from one of the local Boxer rescue programs. We were just a bit surprised to see Boxer "mixed" in the paperwork. This is probably more info than you want, but we chose a rescue this time because we have a 3 year old son and another baby on the way. We thought that a puppy might not be the best thing with a new baby. Thus far he has proven to be very sweet but is a little more rough with our son and other boxer than I want him to be, but we are working on it.

6. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Good for you! Keep working. Im sure he will prove to be a wonderful addition to your family. You need to teach him acceptable limits. No dog comes into a new situation perfectly behaved. There is always a learning curve for both humans & dog. Hopefully you adopted from a reputable group that can provide advice & support. And there is always great advice in the BW behavior forum.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. angleheart

angleheart Completely Boxer Crazy

The brindle? Looks like a boxer to me! He's cute!

8. CoraBoxer

CoraBoxer Super Boxer

My boy imo is clearly pure but on the vet paper work we got with his adoption is says boxer - mix as well. And this translated into my vet paper work reading the same. In the future I might test the dna but not too concerned. I adopted him from a great boxer rescue in my area.

9. joannaryan

joannaryan Boxer Insane

Looks 100% boxer to me, he beautiful! :)

10. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

He looks pure boxer to me and I am pretty sure the paperwork is just done for legal issues. It is probably just to done to keep them from being sued for giving someone a dog that isn't pure bred. Rescues cannot afford to do DNA testing on every dog so if there was an odd dog three or four generations back It may not show in the appearance yet the dog would not have papers. It is just a CYA issue.

I am sure his rambunctiousness will calm down with time. Moving from one place to another and not knowing why can bring out some bad manners. With love, time and consistency I am sure all will be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.