1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your boxers afraid of?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Tootss, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDOGS1

GDOGS1 Boxer Insane

GDOGS is really not afraid of to much as i think his curiosity gets the best of him,sure did enjoy reading everyones post though LOL!!!!!!!!!!

2. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

I gotta say -- Suki is not afraid of anything so far...and certainly not me! :)

My pug is terrified of all noises, and while she fears the vacuum cleaner, she is of the opinion that she will go down fighting before it takes her alive! My 10 lb. dog has destroyed two vacuum cleaners and is working hard on the current one.

3. bethlyn

bethlyn Boxer Pal

Scared of semi trucks, cats, feet, storms, & anything too loud!

We adopted Karlee at 6 yrs old, so don't know the root cause of her many phobias.

My Karlee is afraid of semi trucks. When driving down the road, she will be relaxing in her seat. When we begin to pass a truck, she sits up and stares at it. The longer we're next to it, the closer she gets to the driver as she tries to back away from the scary truck. My husband tries to pass them quickly, or she will end up in his lap! :LOL:

She is also afraid of the kitty. She will not cross the kitty's path. Often she will stand helplessly on one side of the room, longing to be on the side of the room we are on but the kitty is in the way. If the kitty walks toward her, she puts her head down and will totally avoid eye contact, kind of like "if i don't look at her, maybe she won't see me". Of course, the kitty is mean, it hisses and will bat at Karlee's nose if she accidentally gets to close, so I don't blame Karlee one bit for being afraid of that mean, old kitty.

Loud noises scare Karlee. Last week when we were walking, we heard this horrible noise from behind us. She stopped, stared, and took off trying to get away from it, pulling me along. The noise? A little pip squeak of a dog pulling so hard on its leash that it was choking itself trying to get to Karlee to smell her. lolicon

She is afraid of cars, loud ones especially. When we are walking, she will come to a complete stop as a car approaches, and won't continue walking until she is sure that it is past.

Thunderstorms and hard rain are bad. Last week she cowered under my husbands desk trying to get away from the storms.

Her phobia of feet bothers us, for we figure it means that she has been kicked at some point in her life. :mad: We both grew up being able to pet dogs with our feet, like when you're watching a movie and your dog is lying at your feet. But not with Karlee. She practically jumps out of her skin when feet touch her. We hate to see her that afraid of us, so we try to be very careful not to scare her.

WE LOVE BEING OWNED BY A BOXER! :D

4. ZoesDad

ZoesDad Boxer Pal

She's not afraid of all shadows. If we're outside running around they don't bother her. If we're in the living room at night and the lamp casts one on the wall or she sees the shadow of the fan spinning she slinks away when she sees it. It's kinda sad but kinda funny too.

FWIW, my 12 week old Vizsla is afraid of....nothing that I've seen yet. She is quite the handful. But her and Zoe are best friends so that's good.

5. Furface

Furface Boxer Booster

Flies!!!!

Devon is scared of buzzy flies, this goes back to when she was a baby, and was biten by a horse fly (ouch). Now when she hears them, she runs in and sits down and checks her butt out to make sure they aren't on her, and wll stay there until she is sure they have gone

6. NateBazooka

NateBazooka Boxer Booster

Kevin isn't "scared" of much, I don't think. Like, he doesn't hide from stuff or run away with his tail tucked down, but he will "react" to some things, usually things that are either loud, blow air, or are kind of weird things that I never thought to expose him to when he was little (so he's never seen before). While standing outside a draughthouse, my friends were amazed at my accurate prediction that Kevin would flip his lid as one of my friends put on his motorcycle helmet on. Not scared running away, just getting into an active stance and barking "woof! woof!! woof!" ("what??? seriously what??? what is that????").

He does that with things that blow air, too. Last night I was cooking and it got a little smoky, so I opened the patio door and turned on a box fan pointed at it. Kevin came to investigate and, like he does if I point the hair dryer at him, he slammed his front paws down and went "woofwoofwoof!!!" and then ran into his crate (where he's ordered to go when I vacuum, he tries to get involved) when I shushed him.

The wierdest thing he reacted to lately was a baby carriage. I was walking him when a woman with a kid in a stroller walked by the other way. Kevin's ears perked up, I shortened his leash a bit, and as they passed he jumped and spun around. We've walked past strollers since then and he's been fine, though, and even walked past a guy in an electric wheelchair recently and, while he did check it out, he didn't jump or bark or anything.

7. Sugarcain

Sugarcain Super Boxer

Cain doesn't like loud noises, and they do scare him a bit, but the thing that bothers him the most is when we are walking. He absolutely hates, hates, hates it if someone is walking behind us. He tries to walk while looking back behind him and whining, looking so pitiful,nubbie tucked. I pull him over to the side, and let the person pass, then he's happy again and nub waggin. Such a silly boy.

8. Tessa

Tessa Boxer Booster

Tucker is usually not afraid of anything (besides small places and not being able to flee), but the other day he was FREAKED by this pen with hair on the lower shelf at Petco. It was the funniest thing - this pen was maybe 8" tall pen with a face and big poofy hair. It was on the shelf at the checkout stand at his eye level. Tucker would take a step at it, then a big step back and hide, then take another baby step towards it, then retreat and hide, and repeated for a while. The other people in line were cracking up because here's this big bad boxer afraid of a...pen. He is usually the protector, but the pen freaked him out!! Don't try to break in to our house unless you are wielding a pen!!

9. brandygsmom

brandygsmom Boxer Booster

Brandy's biggest fear is thunder, ever since she was a puppy and she is now 11. She is also afraid of fireworks, but what I think is the funniest fear is of the oven. A long time ago when she was around 1, I burned an angel food cake in the oven causing the smoke alarm to go off. I ran to open the oven to fan the smoke. She was afraid of the sound of the smoke alarm and to this day, she still associates when I open the oven with that fear. She usually runs away. Strange how they remember things...

10. alyssakitz

alyssakitz Super Boxer

Aside of thunder and the vacuum, Zoe's biggest fear in life is baby gates! When she was a pup I used them a lot to block off rooms I didn't want her in, but she'd try to get in and knocked them over. I think the sound when they fall scares her. She will stop dead in her tracks if there's one propped by a doorway and won't come within 3 feet of it.

Marshall is only 10 weeks, so he doesn't really have fear yet. He's encountered things with caution when they are new, but nothing he's terrified of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.