Toxic to dogs

MeAndMaggieM

Boxer Booster
Mushrooms

OK, I find it ironic that I was just speaking with someone who recommended a type of mushroom as a possible cancer cure in dogs. I mean, who talks about mushrooms and dogs in the same sentence??

Maggie has MCTs and we were talking about food alternaties, supplements, etc and he brought up mushrooms. He has a friend who has done all this research on mushrooms and has created "Muttrooms" a snack for dogs.

Is it just certain mushrooms that are toxic, like with humans? Any comments??

Last edited:

sastrugi

Boxer Buddy
I just wanted to say that I was reading an article the other day about dog's eating grapes and raisins. I guess it's more of a new discovery that it causes kidney disease and failure. I was a little nervous because I remembered when the kids ate raisins a while ago and dropped some on the floor. I asked a vet and they said it wouldn't harm him unless he ate them in a large quantity. Wrong! It can take as few as 6 or 7 grapes or raisins to cause kidney damage or failure. It is a scary thought.

Interesting. About 20 years ago we used to feed the Dobermann we lived with grapes almost every day and he lived until the ripe old age of 17 and kidney damage wasn't his cause of death.

Thanks for the list though. We have a similar one on file as supplied by the puppy classes a few months back. Thank goodness LEMONS aren't on the list as our little girl loves them more than anything in the world!!!

scorch

Boxer Pal
Well our Daisy and or family had a terrible scare yesterday. After her morning romp, she settled down for her morning meal. About 1/2 hour after she ate she began vomitting. As the vomitting persisted, and knowing that Boxers will get into anything they can, I took her to the vet for examination. I was concerned she ate something toxic.

She had her stomach pumped and the vet saw nothing immediately to explain the problem. She said that she would run some tests and call me. By this time Daisy wasn't too happy and seemed quite exhausted and saddened by the whole procedure.

Shortly after returning home, I found a wet chewed up catepillar on the kitchen floor. I called the vet, and although she said that she couldn't be certain, but it could have very well been the cause. I then checked it out on the internet and did find articles depicting similar reactions.

So ...... it's springtime and those little critters are active. I checked through this thread and found nothing posted about this. I hope this information can be of help.

By the afternoon, Daisy was her old self again.

pelow

Boxer Buddy
Outside Plants

We have just recently added two new babies to our family. Raven and Roland. This weekend they developed diarrhea. Raven has developed water diarrhea with blood and Roland just has diarrhea. Went to the vet this morning and they have coccidia and a bacteria infection. However my vet was wondering if they had eaten anything outside to cause the diarrhea. Can anyone tell me if cana lillies, bannana trees, mums or iris plants are toxic. We are currently in the process of getting rid of toxic plants in our backyard. Several landscaping plants will be removed tomorrow and I am wondering if I need to have the ones listed above removed also. Can anyone help.

sararay

Boxer Pal
Out of all those plants that are on the toxic list, are those all plants that dogs WOULD eat? I am not particularly attached to the plants in my garden (they were planted before we bought the house) but before I go tearing most of them out, I'd like to know how much of a danger they are to our dogs. What makes the dogs even want to eat them?

Emmasfam

Boxer Buddy
I noticed the ASPCA plant list link had changed, here is the one for Dog-specific toxins.oops i guess i should read all the replies before adding my 2 cents....

Last edited:

ZigZags

Boxer Pal
I notice there were no mentions about medications. I have heard that Tylenol is toxic to dogs but I have also heard the contrary. I'm inclined to think it is, from the research that I've done. I know for a fact that Benadryl and Aspirin are not toxic so long as they are in "Small" doses. And I do say SMALL! But I'm no Vet. And I don't claim to be. But I have given my 8 pound toy fox terrier Baby Aspirin and Children's Liquid Benadryl with no ill effects.

Sugarcain

Super Boxer
I notice there were no mentions about medications. I have heard that Tylenol is toxic to dogs but I have also heard the contrary. I'm inclined to think it is, from the research that I've done. I know for a fact that Benadryl and Aspirin are not toxic so long as they are in "Small" doses. And I do say SMALL! But I'm no Vet. And I don't claim to be. But I have given my 8 pound toy fox terrier Baby Aspirin and Children's Liquid Benadryl with no ill effects.

When my husky Dakota broke his leg, the vet prescribed Tylenol w/codine for pain relief. We had to stop giving it after 3 days because of constipation issues, but codine causes constipation in humans to after a while.