Quitting smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbie knowles

Boxer Insane
Come'on ladies....keep talking... you are making me more and more determined with each post! So sad, but it's seeping into my hard head! Thanks....Deb

cashisking

Boxer Insane
Mine too, I have never lost a family member to the C word, but in the Army I was a medic and worked on an oncology ward, alot of vet's with cancer essentailly went there to die, I would tell myself "I am not going to let that happen to me" here I am, still smoking and hating it and myself more and more everyday. I want to have kids one day and of all the circles I want to break, the smoking one is up there, I NEVER want my kids to smoke, and I am old enough to know that I must lead by example.

I am so very sorry for everyones losses. Nicotine and cigarettes in particullar take too many people from this earth far before their time, It is a horrible, horrible addiction.

Jenn

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
I have been following this thread from the outset and I admire you guys - giving up smoking is the hardest thing. I too am a smoker - I have cut down, but have not yet stopped :rolleyes:

The crazy thing is that my own family should provide enough motivation. My father died at age 44 from lung cancer - he smoked 30 a day. He left my mother a widow at age 40 with three kids aged 15, 11 and 7 (I was the 11 year old). Then my mother died at the age of 53 from cancer also - started in the lungs, then went to the liver - fatal. The docs believed that all those years of living with my father smoking and her being a passive smoker contributed enormously to her getting cancer in the first place.

Now, I didn't write this for sympathy - we all deal with difficult things in life. However, if it helps one of you give up, then it has done some good. So, STICK WITH IT!

Believe me I am very determined that one day very very soon I will be stopping - I have stopped before for over six months and then started again - arrggghhhhhhh.

alygator

Banned
ljnash - -that is still so young.

I am 30 and at 19 found out I had a heart disease and then got a pacemaker and then started smoking. It is a MUST that I quit, what the he** am I thinking?? apparently I am not. This is the worst addiction ever!!

Deb I am proud of you and of the others too. If I could only "touch the hem of your garments" then maybe I wouldn't smoke.

I know they say mind over matter, but it's so darn hard. I hate the smoke makers!!!! I quit for 3 days because of food poisoning and am now smoking again!!
I am going to try the patches too. Aimee do you think the patch helps curb the cravings?

Barb_IA

Boxer Insane
Alygator, Come on girl...you know you can do it! I have to wonder sometimes if it's addiction, habit or both.
Why does one start smoking? Mostly because we've been around others that smoke. Have you ever watched another person smoke. We actually look pretty silly doing it. Try standing infront of a mirror and look at yourself while smoking and see if you like what your seeing.
Lizzie, I know your not looking for sympathy, but how sad for you to have lost your mom and dad at such a young age. Throw those smokes away!

Barb

alygator

Banned
Thanks Barb. I know it can be done and done by me. I have started to run again and it's he** when you can't breathe. I guess I will run like Forrest did and then I won't have time to. Runnnnn Forrrressst Runnnn!

Madison's Mom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Okay everyone

how are you all doing with stopping smoking?

Today is my first day. I started when I was 13 years old so I know that is isn't going to be an easy process. I have smoke a pack a day since I can't remember when. My doctor told me that I had to quit this time for good. I get my biospy results this Thursday. Keep me in your prayers.

Tammy

jray

Boxer Insane
Oh Tammy I am sending positive vibes your way. I saw this threat pop up and decided to read. I don't smoke -never even tried it. I too am curious at those that started this thread and how successful they were!

Jenny

Status
Not open for further replies.