My dog is a killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarcain

Super Boxer
I let Cain out this morning to go for his morning bathroom break. I came in to get his breakfast ready. Usually as soon as he has done his business he is at the door ready for his breakfast (it doesn't take me long to mix 1/2 a can of wet food with his kibble). Well, this morning he didn't want to come in for his food. I went outside and he ran around the side of the carport where I couldn't see him. I thought maybe the neighbour was out, and that Cain would start barking as he normally does at him. Since it was 6:30 this morning, I figured it was too early for other neighbours to be woken up with his barking.

So I go outside with his food dish to coax him inside, take a few steps, and almost step on a dead bird. I make a mental note to myself to make my husband get it out of the yard as soon as he wakes up, and walk towards Cain. He is acting crazy, pawing at something on the ground. I call him and he looks up, see's me and picks up what he's pawing at like he's showing me what he has. Its another bird and its still alive. Its squawking, and flapping the wing thats not in Cain's mouth, and no command would get him to drop that bird.

I ran into the house to get his favourite toy (which vibrates and makes noise) and some treats, even his car leash (because he loves his car rides) but nothing worked. Finally he decided to drop it and come to the door, I went out to check and the bird was dead. I guess he figured out that if it didn't move and make any noise, it wasn't fun anymore. I don't know if he realized that he killed the bird or if he just left it because it didn't move anymore, but I sure hope that he doesn't kill anymore.

boxmom

Boxer Insane
I know how you feel. When Fred caught a raccoon baby a couple weeks ago he would not listen to commands. I think those natural instincts kick in along with the excitement of the "oh so cool new toy". Cain was probably like, " sure mom, I'm going to give up my new squawking-wing-flapping bird toy for the old vibrating one...":D Hope he doesn't catch anymore!

catcrazy56

Boxer Insane
2 of my boxers have a high prey drive Cooper eats eggs and we have birds that lay eggs low hw will chase them out and eat there eggs chase any small animals Cooper has caught lots of mice also

Sugarcain

Super Boxer
It just freaks me out, I know that dogs can have a high prey drive, however, I hate to see anything hurt.

Two years ago, in the spring, my mom's husky mix got a hold of some baby rabbits in her yard. She killed two of them, and we found the third one and brought it home (it was only about 2 wks old, had no teeth or anything). We bottle fed it and raised it and then released it when it had gotten bigger and was able to fend for itself. I can't go near anything is dead also, so my hubby get to be on grave duty.

jamkaywill

Super Boxer
I know how you feel several months ago I let Abbie outside to play in the back yard. I noticed she had been outside a long time so I went to check on her. WHen I saw her she had the prodest look on her face so I walk over to see what is going on. There beside her is a Pigeons body with the head snapped off. I grabbed a platic tub to put over the birds body and Abbie was mad the restof the day.

Sugarcain

Super Boxer
We haven't been able to find the bird he was playing with. Hubby removed the one that was already dead, and went looking for the other one. Can't find it anywhere. Maybe he didn't kill it, but our yard is totally fenced in, and unless that bird could fly (which I don't think it could seeing as Cain was walking around with its wing in his mouth), it should be there somewhere....you'd think anyway. Maybe it just dragged itself under a bush or something to die? or (and I hope not) Cain ate it.

sandy's mom

Boxer Insane
I know it is hard to take... but our babies are just following their instincts.

I am not condoning it at all, but sometimes they just have to do what their ancestors did... which is hunt live prey. I discourage mine from chasing anything, but it doesn't work... and I, like many of you, have tried everything imaginable to try and stop this behavior, then one day it just hit me... this is just who they are... discourage them from the chase, but don't punish them for what comes natural...

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
I hate it when they hurt other animals too. I used to take birds and baby squirrels, rabbits, you name it from our cat but usually they all were close to death or died shortly after. It all goes back to nature and animals long ago had to kill to survive. Today the prey drive is still there and stronger in some dogs/cats than others. Ms. Ali goes nuts after rabbits, squirrels and she totally hates crows. We have a nest just behind our house in the woods. I swear if she could climb a tree she would go straight to the top and she nearly goes through the window when they come and perch on our walkway. Right now she's nursing a ruptured liagment in her knee so keeping those crows away from my garden is my job. I don't want any more injuries before she has surgery (if I decide to go ahead with it). Still doing research and a lot of praying!!

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
I guess I'm lucky. Two days ago I called both my dogs off a baby bird that was fluttering around the yard. It continued to flutter off through the fence and into the woods. And then today, my female got a hold of what I thought was a toad (the last one made her vomit) so I told her drop it. To my surprise, out fell a little mouse and scurried away.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
All my pups have killed birds. It seems like a rite of passage to them.They all have very proudly brought them to Mom to show them off. I shriek and they don't do it again. Though Arabella has been more prey driven from the start. She's brought a snake and a mouse, and that was when she was only about 6 months old. I was rethinking the doggy door at that point. And they don't do this when my husband is home, so I have to take care it. Hmm...maybe there is some kind of plot here...

Status
Not open for further replies.