1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouse/Mice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by boxersrbest, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxersrbest

boxersrbest Boxer Booster

I am getting over pneumonia and am still not feeling the best. I decided to make myself some soup. I opened the cupboard and found mouse droppings!!!! Now I know this probably doesn't sound like a big deal but I HATE mice. My house is only 4 yrs old and I have no idea how it/they could have gotten in. So instead of eating, I've been cleaning and now I'm coughing and feeling creeped out. I'll have to buy traps tomorrow but I really need to know how it/they got in so I can prevent it from happening again. Anyone have a cat they want to lend out for a week :)

2. billbgh

billbgh Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't really like cats, but I LOATHE mice!!!! Check where your plumbing comes into the house, where your dryer vents out, anything that comes into and out of your house. Hopefully you get to feeling better and the mice bite the dust. Die mice, die!!(I know, it's Christmas-love to all living creatures)

Erin
    Apollo & Rocky's mom

3. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

I know EXACTLY what you mean! We had our first mouse EVER this year, actually two! About a month ago I found one in my utility room, which is right off the garage. I am assuming that he came in from the garage (it was getting colder). I caught that rodent the same day!
    A few days ago I went to take my nightly vitamins and this tiny mouse goes running across my COUNTER!!!! I freaked out! I set 5 traps and didn't get him, but he emptied all the traps (he was too small and didn't set them off). A friend of mine told me to put a little bit of a cotton ball in the trap and put peanut butter on it. The mouse would get caught in the cotton and spring the trap. Low and behold an hour after I set it, I caught him! I have a cat too, but she is 13 and doesn't chase too many things anymore.
    Needless to say I bleached EVERYTHING in my kitchen and cleaned out every drawer, even though he didn't get in them, it was just the fact he was in my kitchen. I totally feel your disgust and pain!!! Good luck getting rid of them! :)

4. boxersrbest

Thanks for the support - my mother thinks I'm crazy, after all, it's just a mouse :( . Erin, would never have thought of the dryer vent, thanks. More droppings when I woke up today so am off to the store. Christmas or not, it/they must die.

5. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

The thing to remember is that just because you found their little presents to you in one room doesn't mean they aren't getting in somewhere else. We live in the country so this time of year, having visitors is quite common. Because I HATE TO KILL ANYTHING, my DH gives me a week to catch them using humane traps before he puts out the horrible ones. If you are squeamish or like me, guilty about causing their death, I suggest putting the snap traps in a paper lunch bag. That way you don't have to see them once they are dead, you can just throw the entire bag away. But be prepared, if you catch them while you are awake, you will have to listen to the bag rattle until they quit flipping around.

6. Roscoesmommy

Roscoesmommy Completely Boxer Crazy

I have the same problem. I HATE mice and found droppings in my basement so off to the store I went. D-Con now makes this trap that is enclosed so you dont have to see or hear it go off and you just pick it up and throw the whole thing away. I paid $4 for 2 of them, so they are not too expensive. I set it out in our basement 2 nights ago but havent caught anything yet. There is a little place for you to add bait too.

7. jimseabee

jimseabee Completely Boxer Crazy

LOL. They have traps where you don't have to see the critter. He goes in but never comes out.

8. boxersrbest

Got up this morning and checked the cupboard and no mouse in the traps, no droppings. Didn't make sense. I had put my food in the oven because it's airtight right (how else would it maintain it's temperature?) ? Well, no, it is not contained and the mouse/mice had eaten the food in there and made a mess of my oven. My oven - where I cook food!!!!! This is too much. I will be calling the TSC store when it opens and see what they suggest. I don't want to use warfarin because a neighbour did that and the mouse died in the wall and the smell was horrendous. I am being out thought by a mouse :(

9. bayleighmom

bayleighmom Boxer Insane

I would set traps where you found the droppings...even in your oven! There's nothing like the old fashioned snap traps. I tried using peanut butter but had no luck. I had great success with Velveeta.

We have an indoor kitty who wouldn't know what to do with a mouse if she saw one, probably just play with it. I would be afraid of using poison. What if your dog got into it or ate the poisoned mouse? And the smell of dead rotting mouse in the walls!

We had a mouse when the Stuart Little movie was popular. My kids were so upset that I killed Stuart!

Good luck!

10. punchinella

punchinella Boxer Insane

:LOL: Sorry to laugh, but it really is funny. I sympathize completely though. Hope you are soon mouse-free!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.