tasham
Boxer Booster
I wanted to give an update on Cyrus. We met with an oncologist today. She was so wonderful and gave us lots of information. She gave us all our options and said that it is very rare in a young dog like Cyrus and that we had some tough decisions to make. First thing we are doing is getting the tumor re-tested by another pathologist, just to confirm the diagnosis. If that comes back again as the same diagnosis, then we have the options of taking out additional areas where it was removed, just to be sure all of it was removed. I guess some of the margin lines were a little thin, and she said it might be good to take more of the area out. Next we would do an ultrasound and chest x-rays to make sure it has not spread internally. She said if it hasn't spread or is too small to show up on the scans, that now is the optimal time to do chemo as this would be the best chance of getting it early. She gave us all the information on chemo and risks and side effects and benefits. It would be a series of 5 chemo regimens at 3-week intervals. There is a risk of cardiomyopathy, which is scary.
I'm still heartbroken, confused, and saddened beyond words. She said with this type there is a 60% chance of metastasis and 40% chance it may not ever come back, so I'm keeping that hope alive that we'll fall into that 40%.
Kate, what chemo drug is your Oscar on? I can't remember the exact name but the one she is recommending but it starts with a D. I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through the same thing. I wish with all my heart that your Oscar makes a full recovery and does very well with his chemo and has a long, long life ahead of him. My doctor recommended anything that will boost his immune system, like fish oils.
So for now, we are waiting for the 2nd lab test results to come back in a couple of days and then going from there. I keep looking at my beautiful, gorgeous, strong, happy boy and wish I could take this from him somehow. It's hard to look at him without getting saddened. He means more to me than he will ever know and I just hate this so much. I never, ever thought I'd be going through this at such a young age with him.
Thanks for all the understanding and well wishes from this great community. It's so nice having a place to go where others understand completely the meaning of these beautiful dogs in our lives and share that same feeling. I've always hated reading about the sad things that some of the members here have to deal with with their beloved pets.
I will keep you all posted on what the next few days brings and what we decide to do as the next step.
I'm still heartbroken, confused, and saddened beyond words. She said with this type there is a 60% chance of metastasis and 40% chance it may not ever come back, so I'm keeping that hope alive that we'll fall into that 40%.
Kate, what chemo drug is your Oscar on? I can't remember the exact name but the one she is recommending but it starts with a D. I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through the same thing. I wish with all my heart that your Oscar makes a full recovery and does very well with his chemo and has a long, long life ahead of him. My doctor recommended anything that will boost his immune system, like fish oils.
So for now, we are waiting for the 2nd lab test results to come back in a couple of days and then going from there. I keep looking at my beautiful, gorgeous, strong, happy boy and wish I could take this from him somehow. It's hard to look at him without getting saddened. He means more to me than he will ever know and I just hate this so much. I never, ever thought I'd be going through this at such a young age with him.
Thanks for all the understanding and well wishes from this great community. It's so nice having a place to go where others understand completely the meaning of these beautiful dogs in our lives and share that same feeling. I've always hated reading about the sad things that some of the members here have to deal with with their beloved pets.
I will keep you all posted on what the next few days brings and what we decide to do as the next step.
Last edited: