1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

healthy weight for a 7 month old?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by MyBabyBoxer, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack1

jack1 Boxer Pal

I have a 8 month old male that weighs 81lbs!!! he is very large but yet I can see his ribs and he is no where near overweight. My brother also has a female from the same litter and she is a more average 50lbs at 8 months.

2. adeinert

adeinert Boxer Insane

They can vary quite a bit, depending on the breeding. Look at the AKC standard and you will see that female ideal never hits very high. I would just go by how she looks, hips and ribs.
    For example, my last foster was a 35 pound female at six months. Just by her frame, she will be on the small side of the AKC standard. Previous to her I had a 9 month old male who weighed almost 70 pounds and was over 25 inches tall. Obviously VERY poorly bred. In a months or so he will exceed the suggested perimeters for an adult male. He actually looks like he has great dane in him. He had papers - like that means anything.

It is hard to compare your boxer to others to determine your dog's ideal weight. when I got my puppy, I read weights on here of other people's boxers - I was stunned how huge their dogs were. In Florida there seems to be a trend with backyard breeders to try to breed bigger boxers like they are better than the standard. Tulley and I went to a dog park one day and encountered a 7 month old boxer who was HUGE(scary huge). He also had a very long nose, etc. Well, the lady was beaming and proud. She told me the "breeders" breed some of the largest boxers around. Everyone tells her that she should breed the dog. I honestly was dumbfounded.

And of course some puppys shoot up, and others beef up quicker. Keep feeding quality kibble and watch her ribs. It is no easy task fattening up a healthy, active boxer pup! They burn the calories like no human ever could!:p

3. Pryor

Pryor Boxer Pal

My puppy just turned 5 months now and he weighs in at 42lbs. He is very big compared to most 5 month olds.
    Boxer sizes vary greatly. My boys Dad was 95 lbs and his mom was 80 lbs.

4. Debra Price

Debra Price Boxer Buddy

Wow, I've never thought of my Hildie as large, but now I'm wondering! She's slender and leggy and cute as a button. But at 8 1/2 months, she's 57.5 lbs, which seems really big compared to most of the posts here. I feed her 3 cups of Wellness a day, but as I'm trying to obedience train her she also gets quite a few doggie treats.

5. LaneOK

LaneOK Boxer Pal

Zoey is female & just turned 5 months old. She is 20 inches at the shoulder & weighs 38 pounds. She is skinny. She eats quite a bit. She has been wormed within the last few weeks. I'm not sure if she will get big or not. I sure can't seem to put any meat on her bones.

Lise

6. shadgkiss

shadgkiss Boxer Pal

My male is 8 months and weighs between 58-62 lbs. You can see the outline of like 4-5 ribs on him so I don't think he is chunky...

7. sreilley

sreilley Boxer Booster

Just Small

My Ellie is a female and she is very small. She is 6 months old and completly checked out by the vet and healthy. I don't know her exact measurements but she doesn't look like a normal size. I believe she is about 30-35 lbs and maybe 20 inches. She eats about 2 cups of puppy chow twice a day so she isn't lacking in food. I just don't know if she is just a smaller boxer or if there is something I should do.

8. boxer4u22

boxer4u22 Boxer Pal

Big Boy

Jaeger was just at the vet yesterday and he ways 50 lb's right on the money I guess that is big for 6 months old but he is very tall and he has a very large dad.

9. Sambolina

Sambolina Boxer Buddy

Crosby is now about 10 months and weighs over 80llbs. He is quite tall, very muscular and you can definitely still see those ribs, I really don't think he is fat, he is just a muscular beef cake! He is very active (of course), gets loads of exercise, some days has a huge appetite and some days hardly eats anything. A friend (who has never had a boxer) keeps telling us that Crosby is getting fat and once he puts on the weight it will be hard to get him lose it. As weights vary so much from one boxer to another how do you tell if your boxer is heading toward being overweight?

10. abby's mum

abby's mum Super Boxer

Abby is 7 months and weighs 37 lbs. I think she is around 20 -21 inches tall. I just wonder were she will finish up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.