1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evangers might be hard to find....

Discussion in 'Dog / Pet food recalls & warnings' started by boxmom, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxmom

    boxmom Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Messages:
    1,211
    Likes Received:
    48
    From the FDA release: “The FDA is stopping Evanger's ability to ship pet food in interstate commerce,” said Dr. Bernadette Dunham. “Today’s enforcement action sends a strong message to manufacturers of pet food that we will take whatever action necessary to keep unsafe products from reaching consumers.”

    http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm166265.htm
     
  2. kayboxer

    kayboxer Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2,335
    Likes Received:
    0
    WOW! I used to buy the Evanger's 100% meat, but now I use Wellness or make my own because it was too expensive and hard for me to get. Now I'm kind of glad!
     
  3. Super Boo

    Super Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2003
    Messages:
    930
    Likes Received:
    0
    I recently used Evangers canned, and it gave all three TERRIBLE diarrhea. Not that that was related to the FDA warning, but who knows.
     
  4. Mega's Mom

    Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2004
    Messages:
    1,203
    Likes Received:
    10
    Oh shoot! I buy the Evanger's Duck and Sweet Potato for Cornelius. I'm not taking any chances. The last couple of cans are going in the garbage. Now the search continues for another canned dog food - Evangers D&S was the only one that didn't cause a tummy upset for my boy.
     
  5. RolenKisses

    RolenKisses Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1,803
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks so much for posting this. Rolen gets the 100% meat wet food mixed in with his kibble every day. I just bought some more cans last Friday, so I will be taking those back. What other 100% meat wet foods are out there?
     
  6. kayboxer

    kayboxer Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2,335
    Likes Received:
    0
    I use Wellness 95% meat. The other 5% is water, cassia gum and carrageenan. Cassia gum is used as a thickening agent derrived from the seeds of a plant or tree (not sure which one), and is also used in human food such as frozen desserts. Carrageenan is derrived from seaweed and also used as a gelatin I believe. In everything I have read about these two ingredients neither cause any problems in animals or humans.

    So, it is mostly meat with water and thickening agents (which 5% isn't a very large amount.)
     
  7. esabbott

    esabbott Boxer Buddy

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    52
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was just reading about the Merrick before Grain canned meat in another post! It looks really good! Maybe worth checking it out!
     
  8. GDOGS1

    GDOGS1 Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    May 22, 2006
    Messages:
    12,145
    Likes Received:
    10
    just wanted to say thanx for the heads up on this as i feed GDOGS Evangers canned food with his kibble,am taking it back on saturday and going to exchange it for some Wellness core.




    MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest
     
  9. ikonxone

    ikonxone Boxer Booster

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    0
    wow, i was just looking at a possible wet food to mix into the kibble that would give a change from the blue buffalo that we currently use. looks like i will stick with blue buffalo.
     
  10. Mega's Mom

    Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2004
    Messages:
    1,203
    Likes Received:
    10
    I just changed to Innovo Evo Red Meat (95% meat) to mix with Cornelius' kibble. He loves it!!
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page