1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evangers might be hard to find....

Discussion in 'Dog / Pet food recalls & warnings' started by boxmom, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxmom

boxmom Boxer Insane

From the FDA release: “The FDA is stopping Evanger's ability to ship pet food in interstate commerce,” said Dr. Bernadette Dunham. “Today’s enforcement action sends a strong message to manufacturers of pet food that we will take whatever action necessary to keep unsafe products from reaching consumers.”

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm166265.htm

2. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

WOW! I used to buy the Evanger's 100% meat, but now I use Wellness or make my own because it was too expensive and hard for me to get. Now I'm kind of glad!

3. Super Boo

Super Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

I recently used Evangers canned, and it gave all three TERRIBLE diarrhea. Not that that was related to the FDA warning, but who knows.

4. Mega's Mom

Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

Oh shoot! I buy the Evanger's Duck and Sweet Potato for Cornelius. I'm not taking any chances. The last couple of cans are going in the garbage. Now the search continues for another canned dog food - Evangers D&S was the only one that didn't cause a tummy upset for my boy.

5. RolenKisses

RolenKisses Boxer Insane

Thanks so much for posting this. Rolen gets the 100% meat wet food mixed in with his kibble every day. I just bought some more cans last Friday, so I will be taking those back. What other 100% meat wet foods are out there?

6. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

I use Wellness 95% meat. The other 5% is water, cassia gum and carrageenan. Cassia gum is used as a thickening agent derrived from the seeds of a plant or tree (not sure which one), and is also used in human food such as frozen desserts. Carrageenan is derrived from seaweed and also used as a gelatin I believe. In everything I have read about these two ingredients neither cause any problems in animals or humans.

So, it is mostly meat with water and thickening agents (which 5% isn't a very large amount.)

7. esabbott

esabbott Boxer Buddy

I was just reading about the Merrick before Grain canned meat in another post! It looks really good! Maybe worth checking it out!

8. GDOGS1

GDOGS1 Boxer Insane

just wanted to say thanx for the heads up on this as i feed GDOGS Evangers canned food with his kibble,am taking it back on saturday and going to exchange it for some Wellness core.

MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest

9. ikonxone

ikonxone Boxer Booster

wow, i was just looking at a possible wet food to mix into the kibble that would give a change from the blue buffalo that we currently use. looks like i will stick with blue buffalo.

10. Mega's Mom

Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

I just changed to Innovo Evo Red Meat (95% meat) to mix with Cornelius' kibble. He loves it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.