Completely Frustrated with New England Rescues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetCody

Boxer Insane
fingers and paws crossed that this boy is a wonderful fit and comes to you happy and healthy. Good luck with with this little wiggle butt.

MeAndMaggieM

Boxer Booster
Bogey is now a member of the family!!

Thanks to all of you for the nice thoughts and suggestions. I sent numerous emails to the lady who posted the CL ad to check her and the dog out and spoke with her a few times as well. She was willing to give me references, including her vet, and also willing to take him back should it not be a match.

I felt comfortable enough to drag Maggie an hour south of us to meet her potential baby brother and it was pretty much love at first sight! After the required sniffing Bogey and Maggie wiggled like mad at each other. They got along fine on an introductory walk so we took them back to the yard so Bogey could get to know me a little better. Apparently he liked me because he practically climbed up on my lap!

The home he came from was a breeder (please refrain from "breeder" comments here since I feel the same way most of you do on this subject, but the boy needed a home!) and he was used as one of two stud dogs. She was concerned for his safety because he is very social and a fence jumper so she decided to rehome him though she was making a good penny off his pups. The rehoming fee was very low because he isn't neutered and she took into account that this would need to be done but wanted to find the right home for him first.

After talking for a while I decided to bring Bogey home for a trial. He didn't seem that concerned about leaving the only home he's known for 2 years because he followed me out to the car and climbed in without me even having to ask!! The trip home was fine with both of the dogs in the back seat, though I have to say Maggie was a bit perplexed at having to share it.

Apparently Bogey didn't have too much individual attention (who could with 5 dogs and a few kids in the house) so he also lacks in the manners and training departments. We are certainly working on this and he's learning but he is very stubborn. He is toy obsessed because he never had plush toys at his former home so we are also working on this issue and I find that he's great with toys outside and I just put away all the plush ones until the newness wares off a bit.

I took him to VT to visit my parents for the holiday weekend and he was really good for the most part. The introduction to the cat was a bit rocky and if she ran he'd chase her but I think they will get along fine once he's had some more time with her. She is dog savvy and stood up to him so she'll soon have him in his place. My parents weren't thrilled at me getting a second dog but, by the time we left, he charmed them with his puppy antics and fetching ability!

Needless to say Bogey is now in his forever home and doggy bootcamp is about to begin in full force. He has an appointment to get neutered and Maggie has already made sure that he knows she's the boss (behind me of course). It's so cute watching them wrestle and him flip on his back to show he's submissive while chewing on her ears at the same time! Pictures will be posted as soon as I can find my camera!

Last edited:

SweetCody

Boxer Insane
appicon Congratulations appicon
welcomeicon to your forever home Bogey. You be nice to Maggie and she will love you forever.
I am so pleased that your story has a very happy ending. YEAH!!!!

Wiggle Butts RULE !!!!!!!

auntthelm

Boxer Insane
Congratulations on your new baby. Bogey sounds like he was ready for a home with lots of love and attention. Thank you for giving him his forever home.

Status
Not open for further replies.