Completely Frustrated with New England Rescues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeAndMaggieM

Boxer Booster
I recently bought a new house with not one, but two, fenced yards that is 2 blocks from the beach and in easy reach of several dog parks. Now that I'm in a home where I can have another dog I'm desperately trying to find a companion for me and Maggie.

Before I even moved I started to put in applications with 4 of 5 rescue groups that service Mass. so I could get the process started. I've only heard back from one of them to tell me that the dogs I were interested in were already adopted or not the right fit. Not one of them has bothered to contact me to actually begin the application review process and none of my references have been called (in all fairness the last application was submitted only a few days ago because I got tired of waiting to hear from the others).

I have to say I'm more than a bit angry and annoyed with these groups. I know that they are run with volunteers and that their time is limited but, if they are so desperate to place all these homeless dogs, why haven't they even bothered to return one of my many phone calls or emails?? Meanwhile dogs are coming and going and, in the case of a dog I REALLY want to adopt, being returned to the rescue because he is deaf and people can't handle his disability. It's been 2 months since my first application for him and not a word.

I have an animal care background, including working with deaf dogs and dogs with other issues, and have adopted from a rescue before. I can give references of several vets and other people who can vouch for what a great Boxer mom I am. I even work for a pet products manufacturer!! So why won't anyone call me???? If they have questions or concerns about my application, why don't they ask me??

Can someone help me find a Boxer boy please?????? Please give me a chance to be a forever home for another homeless wiggle butt!!

johann

Boxer Insane
Do any of them have numbers you can call to follow up on your application? Maybe it got lost in the shuffle of email (somewhat unlikely with 4 applications). Its so weird that none of them have gotten back to you. Is your email server somehow blocking them from responding?

Congrats on the new house. I hope you find a wiggly boxer boy soon!

auntthelm

Boxer Insane
I am sorry that you haven't received a call back from the rescue organizations. We all know there are many, many boxers available to be re-homed. I was looking on Pet Finders and there are lots and lots of boxers in your state looking for a forever home. I have a hard time looking at pet finders because I find it sad that so many in need homes. One adorable boy on pet finders who needs a home is George (he was on the top of the second page). He is a couple of hours from you and he is being housed in a day care facility. I didn't see any approved Boxer Rescues in your area on Boxer World list, so I can't post the name of the rescue.

Good luck in you search for your next fur baby.

MeAndMaggieM

Boxer Booster
Frustrated...

why haven't they even bothered to return one of my many phone calls or emails??

As you can see from the quote above from my original post, I have emailed and called them several times, with no results.

I did look on petfinder but didn't see any Boxers available in MA. There were some mixes, but I'd really prefer a purebred (sound snobby?) and that's why I want to go through a rescue. I'll look again though, thanks.

If anyone knows of someone looking to re-home a nice boy please let me know and we can make arrangements to meet somewhere. I'd take another female, but Maggie is very much and alpha dog and I would hate to make her feel threatened with the possibility of another alpha female. She did live with a very submissive Husky female though. Plus, many rescues refuse to place a female when another female is present so that's why I've been concentrating on a male. Any thoughts on this?

auntthelm

Boxer Insane
George the boxer I saw on pet finders (from my earlier post) looked pure boxer to me, he is located in Sunderland, MA. I see you are in Lynn, Ma I think that is a couple of hours away. You could always check on Craigs list, people are always trying to rehome dogs there.

MeAndMaggieM

Boxer Booster
I Might Have Found a Boxer Boy!!

I did go on Craigslist and found a woman south of Boston who has a 2 yo brindle boy that she is looking to rehome! He's beautiful and Maggie and I are going to meet him next weekend so cross your fingers!! I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully I'll be posting pictures of my new boy soon!!!!appicon

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Please be VERY careful with dogs on Craig's List. Yes many just need to rehome their pet due to moving, illness in the family, lack of funds, etc however many find out there is something wrong with the dog and get rid of it and pawn the problem off on someone else, many dogs from CL end up with Parvo (depending on age), etc. So just be very very cautious and I would recommend keeping your dog separated from the new dog for 7-10 days to rule out any contagious serious diseases that may not be known at the time of acquiring the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.