1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know what's going on with Orijen?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by karens, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karens

karens Boxer Insane

I have scoured the city and bought all the 6 Fish I can get my hands on. The two places I buy from have called the company and they are not responding to phone calls or emails. According to my shops, no flavors of Orijen are coming in.

Anyone else having problems getting Orijen?

I tried to google it for info but found nothing. Wondering how long it's going to be and if I'll have enough food to wait it out. I contacted the company as well and informed them in my message my dog is on a special needs diet and I can't just switch and they haven't responded to me either.

2. Sir Bentley

Sir Bentley Boxer Pal

Orijen only uses fresh wild fish that are harvested from the many rivers and lakes in Canada. The wildlife authority puts limits on how many fish they can harvest per year and once Orijen hits that quota they do not switch to buying commercially raised fish.

3. karens

karens Boxer Insane

Thanks Sir Bently.

If that's the case and it's that simple, why aren't they informing their customers and distibutors about it?

4. JulieJay

JulieJay Super Boxer

Well coming from Canada.. i have had some issues with my previous used dog food.. Caine used to be on taste of the wild.. but i think starting in january they are implementing or trying to implement dog food "boarder crossing" Which means, canada will be having a tough time bringing in any dog food from the states that has meats, bison etc in it.
    A week and a half ago i went to get caine his TOTW Bison, and its being held at the border and unable to cross.. This apparently is going to be an issue on the canadian side, and not sure how that will affect the Americans, if at all.

I have now switched over to Orijen as it is a Canadian brand food made in Canada. There are a few Canadian brands that are still made in the states, and they won't even be able to get back over..

Good luck in ur search for Orijen and I hope you and your dog get what you need. I really do wonder if this dog food border crossing will really come to light in the end.

5. karens

karens Boxer Insane

Interesting Julie. I really like Orijen, they do very well on it. I seriously think if it were something as simple as fishing limits, the company would issue a statement that said something such as.. due to our commitment to quality blah blah blah.

My place did get the other flavors in, ALL which contain fish. I think I have enough to get us through the tail end of allergy season, then he should be fine to go to another flavor. I just hate to make any changes when he's still somewhat reactive.

It will be interesting to see if I ever hear back from them. I tried TOTW, but my guys had NO interest in it which I thought was bizarre. :D

6. bdivell

bdivell Boxer Pal

i am having the same issue with TOTW Bison i was unable to get it so i bought the wetlands formula i generally switch formulas every bag but i prefer Bison over the others i dont want to switch him over to orijen yet as he is only 7 months old so i hope something comes to light soon

7. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

The manager at my favorite pet food store said the store has not gotten any more Orijen 6 Fish because the demand was way greater than Orijen expected. The store had a good supply of the regular variety of Orijen but no Regional Red. While at the store, I was able to get a bag of a new varitey of Innova EVO - Herring and Salmon Formula. I haven't opened it yet because I am feeding my dogs RAW for a week since Oscar had a horrible case of hives last Monday. If you can find it, the new EVO formula might work as well for your dog as the Orijen. My store had only one large bag of the new EVO.

8. karens

karens Boxer Insane

Thanks! I was considering EVO. He did horrible on CORE when I tried that a few years ago. He has very bad allergies and while he was diagnosed with IBD I think it's just that the allergic reaction is affecting his intestinal track and his absorbtion is low. I just weaned him off the antihistamines and come to find out that his food is in short supply! I didn't want to put him back on the meds as he's had some issues coming off them as they act like a sedative so switching food right now was not an option.

I still think if it was a demand issue, they would still say something to the effect that they didn't realize their wonderful food would be in such high demand - more blah blah blah. Although I've bought out all their food, I have serious concerns about their lack of response. When you charge 70+ bucks for a bag of premium food, I expect a response to my questions and concerns about that food.....

9. LeeUmm

LeeUmm Boxer Buddy

Well for what it's worth, the girl at the store told me the same thing about the demand around a month ago when I was on the hunt for a premium food and considering Orijen.

I ended up going with TOTW, but am almost out and thinking about switching to Wellness because of the ethoxyquin. My pup is only 6 months and even with the puppy mix, I'd prefer not to feed Orijen just yet.

I'll have to see what is in stock when it's time.

10. Bigstabile

Bigstabile Boxer Booster

Petfooddirect basically told me that it is being rationed because demand is so high. They don't have any of the formulas. I also read somewhere that Champion temporarily shutdown for upgrades and maintence and it took longer then expected because they got hit with the flu.

If you go to the orijen website they have a list of stores that carry it, by state, and there is also a list of online stores. I was able to find plenty of online stores that seem to still have it in stock.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.