Age at First Heat?

garvinsmum

Completely Boxer Crazy
Just wondering what the average age is for a female to have her first heat cycle? I've never dealt with a female in heat before so not quite sure when it is likely to happen or what to expect. We fostered a cat once that was in heat and it was PSYCHO evilicon so really hoping dogs are not the same....

rrboxer

Super Boxer
Just wondering what the average age is for a female to have her first heat cycle? I've never dealt with a female in heat before so not quite sure when it is likely to happen or what to expect. We fostered a cat once that was in heat and it was PSYCHO evilicon so really hoping dogs are not the same....
HI, always been advised by our vet to have our female puppies spayed around 6 months which is before their first heat (also he said he likes to wait until all their puppy teeth have fallen out - which I have never heard this before to be honest about the teeth). This is what we have done based on our vet's instructions. I imagine because each puppy is different that possibly they could go in heat earlier than 6 months like 4/5 months who knows but maybe check with your vet about what they think is probably best. I've only owned 2 female boxers in my life time and both of them I had them spayed at 6 months with no problems.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Usually anytime after 6 months.. I would let get go through at least 1 heat before getting spayed. You want to be fully mature before spaying.
Good luck!