I would like to raise a kind of delicate point, based on a discussion in another thread.
I can't comment specifically on this specific situation, not knowing the particulars, but I know from experience and the experience of my friends, that sometimes vets want to get to the bottom of things on an intellectual basis even if the knowledge won't necessarily lead to any kind of cure or longer life.
It seems to me that bloodwork and a spinal tap would help rule out certain infectious diseases, a course of antibiotics could be used, and if it's a brain tumor, then, sadly, time would tell.
More than once friends have been advised by their vets to do monumentally expensive scans, when the sad fact was, it was either a condition treatable (if not curable) by medication, or else a catastrophic condition that wouldn't be curable anyway. In that case, the sensible decision from a financial standpoint (assuming finances are a consideration, and they certainly are for most folks, including me!), would be to attempt the treatment for the less serious condition, in hopes that the dog responds, and there's your answer.
Making the decision to spend thousands of dollars to know that a) the dog is free of the catastrophic condition (but you still don't know what IS the problem) or b) HAS the catastrophic condition (and there's nothing you can do) is a situation that a caring vet can help guide you through.
I would certainly spend a couple of thousand dollars in straightforward care to restore a young healthy dog to health (trauma, etc.). But I do get concerned when I feel that people are being urged to do thousand dollar tests to answer questions that unfortunately could be answered within weeks on a $100 necropsy, since the outcome of the suspected condition is very poor.
Some questions to ask your vet:
If the expensive test shows the condition you're trying to rule out, what would be the treatment? Would there even BE a treatment? If so, is it a treatment we could attempt without absolute confirmation? (Sometimes the treatment IS medication or surgery, both of which would be cheaper than the test, or there's no treatment at all).
If the expensive test doesn't show anything, what's your next best guess? What would the treatment be for that? (Sometimes, amazingly, it's the SAME treatment as would have been the case if the first suspected condition was there -- in that case, how important is it to really know which it is?)
Ideally, we'd all have the $$ to spend whatever it took to know precisely what was wrong with our dogs and the tests could be used to fine tune treatment to make them better.
But sadly I've been finding more and more that the most expensive tests (brain scans and expensive contrast dye procedures, especially) are generally used when the most likely culprit is something imminently fatal. So it's always important to ask the vet before agreeing to a procedure a) what do you hope to find out; and b) once you have that information, what happens then?
You'd be amazed how often the answer is "nothing" or something that could be attempted without the test in the first place.
She wants to do a MRI and spinal tap tomorrow...to the tune of $3200. :O She's concerned about infectious disease and also other non-infectious problems in his cerebrum affecting his motor function, including genetic defects.
I can't comment specifically on this specific situation, not knowing the particulars, but I know from experience and the experience of my friends, that sometimes vets want to get to the bottom of things on an intellectual basis even if the knowledge won't necessarily lead to any kind of cure or longer life.
It seems to me that bloodwork and a spinal tap would help rule out certain infectious diseases, a course of antibiotics could be used, and if it's a brain tumor, then, sadly, time would tell.
More than once friends have been advised by their vets to do monumentally expensive scans, when the sad fact was, it was either a condition treatable (if not curable) by medication, or else a catastrophic condition that wouldn't be curable anyway. In that case, the sensible decision from a financial standpoint (assuming finances are a consideration, and they certainly are for most folks, including me!), would be to attempt the treatment for the less serious condition, in hopes that the dog responds, and there's your answer.
Making the decision to spend thousands of dollars to know that a) the dog is free of the catastrophic condition (but you still don't know what IS the problem) or b) HAS the catastrophic condition (and there's nothing you can do) is a situation that a caring vet can help guide you through.
I would certainly spend a couple of thousand dollars in straightforward care to restore a young healthy dog to health (trauma, etc.). But I do get concerned when I feel that people are being urged to do thousand dollar tests to answer questions that unfortunately could be answered within weeks on a $100 necropsy, since the outcome of the suspected condition is very poor.
Some questions to ask your vet:
If the expensive test shows the condition you're trying to rule out, what would be the treatment? Would there even BE a treatment? If so, is it a treatment we could attempt without absolute confirmation? (Sometimes the treatment IS medication or surgery, both of which would be cheaper than the test, or there's no treatment at all).
If the expensive test doesn't show anything, what's your next best guess? What would the treatment be for that? (Sometimes, amazingly, it's the SAME treatment as would have been the case if the first suspected condition was there -- in that case, how important is it to really know which it is?)
Ideally, we'd all have the $$ to spend whatever it took to know precisely what was wrong with our dogs and the tests could be used to fine tune treatment to make them better.
But sadly I've been finding more and more that the most expensive tests (brain scans and expensive contrast dye procedures, especially) are generally used when the most likely culprit is something imminently fatal. So it's always important to ask the vet before agreeing to a procedure a) what do you hope to find out; and b) once you have that information, what happens then?
You'd be amazed how often the answer is "nothing" or something that could be attempted without the test in the first place.