We Failed Tyson!! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteynheidi

Boxer Pal
Okay couple things, Tyson is awesome!! We love him to death and he loves our family and our lab mix dog. Problem is we havent done our part to introduce him to other dogs and now he pulls at the leash and growls to get at other dogs.

He is almost 6 months old, we are enrolling him in an obedience class through PETCO. Now we are not sure how to introduce him to other dogs, if were the owner of another dog I wouldnt want it around him.

Also question comes to mind about getting him around other dogs but having him muzzled ? pros ? cons ?

Also whare are peoples feelings about harness vice choker chain ?

Thanks for all the continued support of us and our awesome dog!

Will post more pics of him soon!!

Whitey and Heidi

Poetic_thing

Boxer Insane
As per BW rules ...discussion of deliberate use of devices or practices that cause or have the potential to cause physical trauma to a dog... are not allowed - that would be prong collars. Personally I would find a trainer who uses positive methods and practices. Good luck with your training. :)

frankied

Boxer Insane
Poetic_thing said:
As per BW rules ...discussion of deliberate use of devices or practices that cause or have the potential to cause physical trauma to a dog... are not allowed - that would be prong collars. Personally I would find a trainer who uses positive methods and practices. Good luck with your training. :)

Again if you need to use something that will hurt your dog in order to "train" him you are doing something wrong...

binxsmom

Boxer Buddy
To Whitey and Heidi,
We are having a similar problem with Binx our 11 month old neutered male. I did some searches on leash aggression and found some helpful advice.

We find that he will lunge and bark another dog while on leash but if we actually go up and let him sniff, etc he relaxes (if people aren't already freaked out by his behavior and let us approach).

We have been taking obedience classes with him since he was 10 weeks but took the majority of the summer off and that's when he started to get bad. We've been in class again for 4 weeks and last night the instructor did an exercise (with Binx in mind) where we actually walked up to another person and their dog, met shoulder to shoulder, got both dogs to sit and then we shook hands with the other owner. It took Binx one try...with the instructor first, to get it and then he was really much better. He doesn't get much of a chance to socialize off leash and I think it is a combination of him really wanting to play and us holding him back because once he's free to play off leash he's actually quite well behaved.

Do a search for leash aggression and you will find more stuff. We are working on making him focus on us during walks and paying attention by changing direction with him or giving him sit and stay commands if there is a distraction coming and lots of positive reinforcement when he pays attention to us and not other dogs approaching.

There are a lot of good articles on the web also that people have posted links to but I'm not talented enough to paste the links into my message :)

Good luck!

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
If you don't want the dog to exhibit this behavior, then show the dog what behavior you DO want him to exhibit and be consistent. I put my dogs in a sit/stay when other dogs approach. Have always done so and they auto-sit stay until release, without any command from me, when they see any other dog approach.

You can't expect a dog to just "know" what to do. They are instinctive animals and will do what is instinctive for them unless guided to other behaviors under any given circumstance.

boxer sox

Boxer Pal
same boat...

I have been in the same boat for awhile. I enrolled in the petco program last year as well. But what a lot of people do not realize about that program, and most, is that it is a class for you to learn how to train your dog. Other than the fact your boxer will be around other dogs while you are there, the main benefit is for you. But that is the way it should be.
From what I read and observe, most boxers are leash aggressive. My pup is no different. When he is off leash, he runs over and plays, I believe the tugging of the leash is a similar urge to run over and investigate/play.
There are many helpful ways to remedy this. Walk him near other dogs, but at first find the safe distance where he notices them, perks his ears, but does not start to tug. ONce you determine this distance, walk him near other dogs at about this distance, after awhile, you can start to bring him in closer and de-sensitize him.
Other ways are to keep his attention when the distraction occurs, for me, snapping my fingers above his head continuously when he starts to lose his attention helps to keep him focused on me.
As for the muzzle, halti, and other training collars; I don't want to recommend anything due to the rules, but I think the best advise is to use what you feel comfortable with. A muzzle though will not address this issue at all. It is meant to muzzle him to a) not bark, and b) not bite. A boxer with leash aggression is not a threat in that way, they are just exuberant and are strong willed with strong urges. Your dog does not sound like he wants to attack, so a muzzle is not recommended. Your best bet is to use a conbination of these techniques that you feel comfotable with.
On a sad note, my boxer has significantly regressed recently because he was attacked and my girlfriend assaulted by a drunken neighbor (luckily right before we moved)... :( He is barking and pulling at EVERYONE that is nearby). He is more like this when she walks him, obviously he feels even more of a need to guard and protect her. I feel we are at negative square one with his training, but he is still a great dog and he lives to please. Whenever you have that, any dog can learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.