Ugh! Pancreatitis overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barkley

Boxer Booster
Nature's Variety is a brand of 'store bought' food...you basically buy sleeves of frozen patties, about the size of a large hamburger each, with 12 to a sleeve. So, raw can actually be very easy/convenient as long as you have a little bit of freezer space to spare! That said...it isn't cheap. I am a firm believer that what we spent in food, though, we saved on vet bills and heartache! Glad to hear your baby is on the mend. Keep us posted!!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Table scraps and treats are the worse! I know some people give them and everything is fine. But I have seen people cut the fat off something because it isn't healthy and turn around and give it to their dog. (head shake) I have 2 rules in my house. No smoking, and do not feed my dogs anything!

I have found a few treats that are low fat and grain free and we stick with them. We just change up flavors.

Sending continued healthy ((((vibes)))) to Kela!

KelasMom

Boxer Pal
"Raw" foods

I've thought about adding boiled chicken, hard-boiled egg, and some healthy veggies that are higher in protein and fiber(like carrots or green beans) with some of the healthier kibble around 3 times a week...what do you guys think about that idea? It would be cheaper than having that way over-priced wet food all the time and she might feel a little more full.

By the way, she acts like she feels MUCH better! Yay!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I am glad Kela is feeling better!

I would stay away from the eggs because they are high in fat. Or just do egg whites. You can add fat free yogurt (I've been using greek yogurt as it is higher in protein) or fat free cottage cheese as well.

Last edited:

Barkley

Boxer Booster
Canned pumpkin or other squash is a great source of vitamins and fiber, too. I use it whenever one of ours has upset tummy, as it's good for both constipation and diarrhea. Sprinkle it with a little cinnamon and a smidge of honey...they love it! Just make sure that any veg you used is cooked or pureed...else it is difficult/impossible to digest and she'll have upset tummy (not to mention prolly noxious gas!:LOL:)

Our pups love almost any veggie...even Brussels sprouts! Just take it slow at first and add one thing at a time, so that if something disagrees with her, you'll be able to pinpoint what it is.

So glad she's feeling better!!

KelasMom

Boxer Pal
Thanks for all the wonderful advice!

I tried egg whites (hard-boiled) last night and she went nuts for them! So far no diarrhea or upset tummy and she ate like a champ twice so far today(but just dog food). I want to take it slowly with her bc I was the cause of the problem last time and I don't want to put her through that again! I will definitely try yogurt/cottage cheese. I love all the suggestions because they are healthy for her and cheaper for me! Yay:win-win! :) Thanks again!!

Barkley

Boxer Booster
That makes me laugh...of course she would like hard-boiled eggs...why is that they love anything stinky!?! :LOL:

KelasMom

Boxer Pal
Homecooking...not raw.

I've got her eating regular dog food twice a day and boiled chicken instead of raw in the evening with a whole egg white 2-3 times a week. She still seems like she is starving and you can still see 4 ribs. I guess because I have always had generally healthy (and meaty) dogs, it bothers me to see her so thin. Should I be feeding her a little more maybe?

My concern now is that she is still eating grass. She, along with my lab (whom we lovingly refer to as ol' iron stomach), has always munched while outside...it just scares me now with her recent bout of illness. She is eating decently with no runny poo (EW!) and no vomiting but I just worry about that. I'm going to try the pumpkin thing if she does start having any diarrhea; that is really awesome that it evens their systems!

Starting 2 weeks from now, she will go to 2 feedings a day. I got a new job and won't be able to come home on lunch to feed her...I'm also worried about that. UGH! Is there not a manual that I can get for this!? LOL I feel like I am hounding you guys with the same questions...

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I think you are doing great with all this! And don't worry about "hounding" us. That is what this forum is about! Getting and sharing information. Next time around you will be the one to offer advice.

If you are worried about going to two meals start making the mid-day meal smaller and the other two meals slightly bigger. Say if you feed 3 cups a day, breakfast will be 1 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup at lunch, and 1 1/4 cup for dinner. So it will be an easier transformation to two meals. IF you don't want to go any larger meals after that you can always save that 1/2 cup for just before bed time.

buddhasmum

Boxer Pal
pancreatitis

This is a good job for Chinese Medicine. Innova senior wet food would be a good choice to start. Supplements will help. (psyllium, flax, prozyme and one Tbsp canned pumpkin) and a probiotic at bedtime). Maybe you have an acupuncturist willing to take a look at her and listen to those femoral pulses?
Chinese herbs can correct the problem. And small meals, 30 mins away from activity, only as much as she can metabolize per meal.

Best luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.