Toxic to dogs

RevMom

Boxer Pal
Iron Stomach

When we first brought our boxer home (she was a year old), she promptly consumed in a week:
- 5 avocados
- 2 pounds of slivered almonds
- 3 bananas (peels included)
- 2 dark chocolate Trader Joe's candy bars

We couldn't figure it out until we realized our super smart Lola knew how to open pantry doors and help herself to snacks.
Her guardian angel kept her healthy and we installed a new door locking mechanism which requires opposable thumbs.

bowen

Boxer Buddy
Help! My eight week-old boxer Max just ate one grape an hour ago. My girlfriend was washing a bunch and one grape fell on the floor. Max got it and swallowed it before I can extract it from him. Can that have an adverse effect on him? If so, how long will it take for any symptom to manifest (I do hope he'll be okay)?

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I think he will be fine. Before I knew about grapes being toxic to dogs, I had fed them as treats occasionally!!!!! Not huge amounts but I did give them! I was upset about it too but I found a lot of threads on here that others had done the same thing :) my pup never had any issues and I would think one grape wouldn't cause too much of an issue for your pup :)

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about 1 grape. Chances are good that it won't cause a problem. People used to feed grapes all the time to their dogs. Then some dogs started to get sick from the eating grapes. They still don't know what is causing it.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
One grape shouldn't hurt. My dog used to get a couple of grapes a day before I knew they were bad. IF anything should happen it would be within 24 hours. From the time I am reading this you have almost made it through the first 12 hours.

bowen

Boxer Buddy
Yep. He's still fine and bouncy. Now having rough play with another lab puppy. The stools look "average" too. Am glad am in this forum. Thanks, guys.

wiggle butt

Boxer Booster
I have found out, the hard way, that loquats (mostly the seeds) are quite irritable/toxic to dogs. We have a huge tree in our yard. Unfortunately, it started producing fruit around the same time we brought home our pup. We never had a problem with our older dog. But those stinkin scavengering pups are the worst! He had major diarrhea last night after eating too many. Probably more of a problem for us in South Florida.

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
Help! My eight week-old boxer Max just ate one grape an hour ago. My girlfriend was washing a bunch and one grape fell on the floor. Max got it and swallowed it before I can extract it from him. Can that have an adverse effect on him? If so, how long will it take for any symptom to manifest (I do hope he'll be okay)?

Years ago before we knew what and was not toxic to dogs my mother would give her little dog grapes for a treat. It never hurt her but had we known she would never have given so many to her. I am sure your baby will be fine. One will not hurt her.