Toxic to dogs

Eleonora II

Boxer Buddy
Buddy is cheese crazy!

Can boxer dogs eat cheese? my hubby gave bosley a piece of cheddar tonight and he loved it - is it ok to give him more?

Our Bud-Bud is a total and absolute cheese freak since we got him as a 3 mth old puppy :). It's one of his great treats and at night it's his bedtime treat. The more the cheese stinks (like Swiss cheese!) - the better it tastes.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Cheese is fine. Small pieces of cheese make great training treats. Too much wouldn't be good for him anymore than it is good for you. :)

DiverDiva

Boxer Insane
Yellow Cheese May Be Harmful to Dogs

I just learned this. It is important to me because I used sharp cheddar as a training treat. Dr. Michael Fox has reported that annatto, the natural coloring that gives cheddar cheese the bright yellow-orange color, “is the only natural food coloring known to cause as many or more reactions than artificial food coloring”
DOG - As you have written before, red dye 40 may cause seizures in .
Oscar has had 5 seizures, and they are very frightening, to both the dog and the human. I don’t know if the seizures were associated with cheddar cheese, but in the future, I will be using only white cheeses, such as string cheese, provolone, or white cheddar as a training treat.

Eleonora II

Boxer Buddy
Toxic to dogs - onions???

I'm totally confused having read all the details on the list. Our vet told us when we got Buddy as a 3-mths old pet to feed him for the first 6 months cooked chicken mixed with bread, adding 2 tablespoons of yoghourt in order to control the flatulence. And not to forget to add ONIONS as dogs in general love and NEED onions, i.e. for 1 kg of chicken to use 1 onion.

The food is much more diversified now but whether I cook for him chicken, beef or liver - for 1 kg I always add 1 onion. And for his pasta sauce we use 4 cloves of garlic.

The result is: our Bud-Bud only endulges in "chemical warfare" when he doesn't get his yoghourt for more than 2 days and for the rest of the toxic food ... he doesn't seem to have a problem. Is the amount too small? Is our vet right (after all he is a Prof. and lecturer at the University!)?

Also Buddy loves water melons - any problems with this?

He also loves biscuits of which he gets 3 - 5 a day and as I said earlier he is an absolute cheese freak.

He ignores any kind of dry food though even if he is hungry,

Would love to hear more about the onions - should I stop feeding them to him?

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Is our vet right (after all he is a Prof. and lecturer at the University!)?

No! Your vet is wrong and dangerously so. Are you sure you understood him correctly? Onions are one of the most widely-known things to never give your dog - and you'll find that advice on any veterinary site listing foods to avoid that you care to look at.

Eleonora II

Boxer Buddy
Thanks for the reply - this is not only serious but very scary. When we travel we usually leave Buddy with him and I know for a fact that he does feed the dogs freshly cooked chicken WITH onions alternating with beef.

I've arranged to see him tomorrow and I'll put him to the test with the print of the list. I'll let you know the outcome - maybe I should start looking already for another vet and put first the onion-question forward to him as a test?

Eleonora II

Boxer Buddy
So – I'd like to rehabilitate my vet. This was one of these misunderstandings which could have gone very wrong .

His assistant cooks together with 25 kg (!) of chicken or meat 1 onion which is put in a gauze bag and removed after cooking. This is supposed to remove any bad smell and provides anti-bacteria.

He told me that raw onions are poisonous and that I was lucky because we always cook Buddy's food! Thank God Buddy tolerated it well. It goes without saying that it is stopped as of NOW!

Thanks again and it seems I don't need to change vet – but I'll sure ask in the future until I am sure that everything is crystal clear.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Very wise to check ;) I'm glad you got a clear answer (and don't have to change vet ;)).
Definitely wise to dump the onions though - cooking doesn't lower their potency by a great margin, so it could have gone rather a lot more wrong.