To crop or not to crop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cami

Boxer Insane
I personally would NEVER put any dog thru any surgery if it was not medically necessary. Spay/neuter does have medical benefits.
If you don't know what all is involved in the actual surgery of an ear crop run a google search for it. There are sites that show the actual process, not pretty and not for the faint of heart.
I don't judge anyone who opts to go this route, it's not my decision to make on what they prefer but it is NOT necessary.
You have to ask yourself some pretty tough questions and be 100% honest with yourself.
Are you willing and prepared to do all that it takes for the outcome to be what you envision? If even a tiny bit of hesitation is found when you ask yourself you will have your answer.
Can you afford the procedure AND can you afford the expense IF anything were to go wrong in the recovery process that might require further additional treatment?
Cropped or not, you WILL come across people who have no clue what breed your dog is. My natural eared girl has been mistaken for many breeds....she is all Boxer!
Just for the fact that you asked means you are not 100% and it is wonderful that you are seeking information and opinions from other fellow Boxer lovers.
I wish you luck in your decision.

Coco's Momma

Boxer Booster
I wouldn't crop if I were you. Not that its too late, but its definetly going to be harder now. Also, I LOVE my Coco's floppy ears! :D

Kathee

Boxer Booster
dont crop!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just my opinion though. Why cause pain that is unneeded + The natural ears are so cute with their little smooshy faces!

cmachk

Boxer Buddy
dont crop

Im new here but since living in Germany where cropping and docking are illegal, I have come to appreciate the "natural" boxer. At first we didn't even want to consider purchasing a boxer in country for the fact that we couldnt crop and of course a boxer with a long tail and floppy ears is just not the norm... right? Wrong... when a boxer is au naturel he has so many expresssions he might not have when the tail is docked and the ears are cropped. I think more and more are going natural and its just wonderful! However, its a personal opinion of course and thats just mine, so good luck with yours Im sure it will be the right one for you and your little one :)

mybubbieroo

Boxer Insane
I would never do cosmetic surgery on my dog. My vet doesn't even do the surgery anymore and feels it will soon be illegal to do so. Good luck with whatever you decide

pmari3

Completely Boxer Crazy
I love both looks - boxers are just beautiful dogs. We decided not to have our puppy cropped mostly because I was concerned about doing the taping myself. If you tape to tightly you can cut off the circulation to the ear, too loose they flop. I live too far away from my breeder to have her help me on a regular basis. One breeder I spoke with, who has been breeding for quite a while - said it has taken her as long as a year to get ears to stand properly. If you don't do it correctly, the ears will never be right. I just saw a boxer actually with cropped ears that were flopped over - not pretty - ruins their whole look :(

I don't think you will be sorry if you leave them floppy, but you will be sorry if you crop and they don't stand up!

catcrazy56

Boxer Insane
I have one of each and every once in a while a person (who knows nothing of boxers) will ask if they are the same breed, half they people we have met think Harley is gorgeous and half think Foreman is. Harleys ears are very sensitive he dosn't like having them touched although I prefer cropped I don't know if I would crop my next boxer.

Kirby Kirb

Boxer Insane
Please don't do it!! I know everyone has there own opinions, but I would never do anything like that to my dog. I would not want to put him through that kind of pain, I find it very cruel. Sure it looks nice, and I think thats all it is, just so they look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.