time out is NOT working anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonmac

Completely Boxer Crazy
kneesaa is being a holy terror lately! she is driving my american bulldog and us nuts! she goes over and bites his back legs and jumps on his back and tries to ride him around the living room. well of course he then gets upset and starts barking.
I will tell her no and "do you want to go in time out!" which used to always get her to stop. not anymore. so I will put her in timeout until she calms down and then she'll just start it all up again!
if anyone has any ideas, I'm losing my mind!!

JulieM

Boxer Insane
If the Bulldog is well-socialized and bite-inhibited, I'd let him stop her if he really wants to. He'll do it in a way she can clearly understand. If the behavior is bothering you, put her in a time out right away - don't tell her "no," don't ask her whether she wants to go in a time out - just do it. She'll learn soon enough that inappropriate behavior always equals a time out (provided, of course, that you're persistent and consistent with it :) ).

shannonmac

Completely Boxer Crazy
buu is really good with her. he'll yap at her to leave him alone, but he'll never hurt her, he mostly runs away and he's three times her size! :LOL:
I am going to just put her in time out without telling her anything, thanks julie.
don't you know right after I posted this thread she lay right down on the floor with him giving him kisses. she must have known mommy was talking about her! ;)

regis2259

Boxer Booster
Where do you put her for timeout? I haven't found the right time out spot for Pokey, I don't want to use his crate.

TysonB

Boxer Buddy
when people come over tyson gos ape crap so to speka he will not leave anyone alone. we tell him to go to his kennel and he does ( we have a huge open air cage type kennel) but as soon as he is let back out right back to going nuts no matter how long.

obedience classes are in the fuutre he is 1.5 yrs old

kassa

Boxer Insane
Tired dogs are happy dogs -- are these dogs getting enough exercise? Even when there are two, they might spend yard time just wandering and sniffing. Try to work in some actual runs, whether after thrown balls or just sprints mixed in with your walks.

Also, mental exercise can be invaluable. A walk in an unfamiliar area with a lot of good smells (forest, etc.) can fill the brain with a lot of info and exhaust the dog even if the distance walked isn't as far.

sashamom

Boxer Insane
She is SOOOO pretty..makes me want a third just like her to complete my set!!! Ours also go to time out and get threatened with 'the crate'....which usually stops the behaviour,.....however every now and then, they just don't listen....we put them in time out for 10 min or so and its back to playing again!!
Good luck with your bunch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.