Throwing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelow

Boxer Buddy
A little history I currently have a 5 year old pit and two one year old boxers. My male boxer has started throwing up at bed time in his crate. We are unable to locate any items that he has eaten. We have noticed that he does not chew up his food but swallows it whole. We have also noticed some grass in his vomit but not all the time. I recently put apple cider vinegar in their water bowl and we thought that was the problem so we went back to plain water. However he is still throwing up at bedtime. Our dogs are out all day with my husband and eat and drink with no problems. The only time he is sick is at night. Does anyone have any suggestions. We lost our first baby to stomach cancer one year ago. So we want to catch this if we can. Also his father is a DNA registered stud would that help to rule out certain diseases. What is strange is our two boxers go everywhere together and our female is not sick that is why I am so worried, she is the one that will eat anything that won't eat her first. Any suggestions.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
I believe that "DNA registered" (assuming that's AKC) indicates that the dog is purebred. It has nothing to do with the health of the dog though; that's what health testing is for.

What do you feed him? How soon after eating does he throw up? Is he very active before he throws up, or does he drink a lot of water? Where is he all day long with your husband?

Maybe he ate something in the past few weeks that's gotten stuck in his system... who knows noideaicon Sorry I'm not much help... hopefully the other members will have some more insight. I hope it's nothing serious.

laurelheebsh

Boxer Booster
we went through the same sort of thing with Chubs during the first month after we adopted him this winter. only vomiting at night, all night, a few times a week. finally narrowed it down to rawhide or bully stick or very inexpensive treats (generic milkbones) or pumpkin added to food (for extra fiber) or these herbal drops to control allergies. or maybe each of those things had caused it. anyway, after a trip to the emergency vet and once or twice to the regular vet, we never definitively pinned it down, but after cutting out all of those things it hasn't happened again. sorry not to be of more help, but maybe one of our "problem items" will ring a bell with you.

Gruntsmom

Boxer Insane
If he is throwing up mostly bile, you could try giving him a couple of biscuits as a bedtime snack. Maybe his stomach is empty. I had this with my boy, and the snack helped a lot.

pelow

Boxer Buddy
He is kept in the family room with my husband and the other two dogs all day. He eats and drinks all day with no problem. He is very lazy and sleeps alot. He only throws up at night when we put him in his crate. Sometimes it has grass in it but mainly it is dog food. We are feeding all three dogs taste of the wild with salmon. They have been on this since we got them. I have been purchasing cow feet for them to chew on. Roland loves them and can eat one in no time. This maybe the problem but why does he only throw up at night when he has the cow foot all day? Thanks for your suggestions, I will remove the cow feet and see if that helps.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
He is very lazy and sleeps alot.

Has he always been this way or is this just since he's been throwing up?

I have been purchasing cow feet for them to chew on. Roland loves them and can eat one in no time.

That may be the problem... those are very big, aren't they?? I've never seen them in stores but I'd think that would be a lot for a dog to snack on in between meals. Are there any large pieces/bones that could possibly cause blockage?

Status
Not open for further replies.