So what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiefsmom

Boxer Insane
Okay... so my work world recently got turned upside down (fortunately... possibly, for the better... depending...). I work in Quality for the vocational dept. of a non-for-profit human services organization serving folks with developmental disabilities. My job has been to maintain the paperwork and files according to federal regulations as well as to write proposals and grants to government agencies to get funding for the services we provide. Recently (a week ago) the assistant director of residential services approached me and offered me a position (with quite a bit more $) to supervise an Intensive Care Facility (as they had me in mind due to my B.A. degree and also 3 years service in the field fo Human Services, in general). Just to give you a background... I worked as a voc. rehab counselor in a community setting (teaching and training on the job skills in a competitive work setting). My concern is.... I know NOTHING about residential services and their operations... It's like an ENTIRE different world from where I'd be moving from. I'm researching the info more... but am still nervous about the fact that I have ZERO residential background and knowledge and would have to supervise staff that probably know way more than I do. What would you do in this scenario???? I have until Monday to think about this and I am VERY unsure.... I guess I'm just feeling uneasy about the department change. ANY thoughts or similar experiences would be helpful! Thanks!

punchinella

Boxer Insane
Sounds like a good opportunity to challenge yourself and learn some new things along the way. I understand how you would be unsure of yourself and intimidated by the prospect of managing others with more experience in that field, but remember you were approached by someone else and offered the position, which means they obviously feel you are qualified. I say go for it! It never hurts to push yourself and get outside of your comfort zone. At the very least, picking up new skills will only boost your confidence and your resume for future endeavors.

Sugarcain

Super Boxer
This is just my opinion now but for starters I would ask myself a few questions first. How secure is the job that you are at now, and the one you are considering? I think that would be a big question for me. Also, how much do you like your job and the people you work for/with? Is it closer for you to travel (you should take into account gas, wear and tear on your vehicle also)? I have had quite a bit of experience with new jobs that may sound good on paper (more responsibility, more money, etc) but once at the new job found that people you now work for/with are hard to get along with, or that you don't like the job for whatever reason.
I find that the best way to figure out a big decision like this is to make a list (I like lists :) ) of the pros and cons of each job.

Chiefsmom

Boxer Insane
Just an update....

I've accepted a promotion as supervisor of our largest ICF. After doing extensive research, I've decided that it was a great move, a great opportunity, and all-in-all a great resume booster. I have the largest house, the most residents, the most staff, and the highest income in the agency. It was explained to me that I was selected by the director due to my eye for detail and "0 deficiency track record" (which is an honor to me). I have a totally new "ballgame" to learn... but am anxious to do so! I start June 1'st; and hopefully my current positon will be filled by then so I can train them before I leave to avoid doing 2 jobs at once. ;) Just wanted to share the news! :)

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
Congrats on your new position. You will do great. They wouldn't have asked you if they didn't think you could do the job. Try not to stress too much over it. Enjoy your new position!

boxmom

Boxer Insane
That's great news!appicon In today's crummy economy it is certainly refreshing to hear good things can still happen. Good luck at your new position.

SweetCody

Boxer Insane
That is wonderful news appicon .
I am sure that you will do a wonderful job. And it will be wonderful to be able to add another skill to your resume.

xenaprincess

Boxer Insane
That's great news Debbie!! appicon You should be very proud of yourself! I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job! You were chosen because of your knowledge, experience and success rate, so don't second-guess yourself!
Wishing you all the best and great success in your new position as ICF Supervisor!! cool2icon

Status
Not open for further replies.