1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused about food

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Samsonian, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizzydogmom

dizzydogmom Boxer Booster

Piper Ann also has serious problems with anything that has even a hint of dairy. Have you tried tripe? I use a couple of spoonfuls of Solid Gold's green cow tripe whenever Piper's tummy is upset, and it works wonders.

2. Samsonian

Samsonian Boxer Buddy

Wow - strange that the lining of the cow's "fourth" stomach would settle those of our boxers! Had to google it cause I had never heard of tripe. How did you come up with that, dizzydogmom? Maybe I'll give it a try. Also, I definitely want to try the Core line, but am concerned Sam is too young at this point (10 months). It seems like all the best foods are for adult dogs only ! I do see Orijen puppy on dogfoodanlysis (has any one had luck with that?), but I haven't been able to find that near us. In the meantime, I guess I'll need to stop with our supplements (eggs, sardines, alternating every few nights, plus salmon oil every night) until we figure this out. His coat is soooo much thicker and softer since we started all of that, plus he loves it! He's really become a pro at cracking the egg on his own :) So, I'm sad to have to stop. Seems like maybe the salmon oil would be okay to continue?

3. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

Snatch has HORRIFIC gas with fish oil and salmon oil.. I can not give this to him.

He only does ok with Lamb food (i tried chicken, venison, fish, buffalo, rabbit.....).

I just put them (Oxford is 7month ol and Snatch is 4years old) at Prairie Lamb and Oatmeal, and no gas anymore!! yeah!!!! :)

I am lactose intolerant, and yogurt is ok ;)

4. Samsonian

Samsonian Boxer Buddy

Really?!? Oh my! I'm so upset by this news :( I was planning to stop everything, but I never really thought it could be the salmon oil?? His gas was the worst (like, room-clearing) before we ever started it. Still, I guess you have to consider everything, which is why I'm so utterly confused. So, if Snatch can't have fish oil, does that mean you ruled out fish food all together? We tried Prairie Lamb & Oatmeal, but decided to switch bc of the citric acid. Sam likes everything moistened

5. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

i don't know about it.. i'm very not an expert about dog food.
    i can't give any fish oil to snatch. it's ok.. his coat is veyry shiny, i guess he finds enough in his food.

in my opinion, i would stay away from anything extra until you find a food that agrees with his stomach. That can takes some times for his stomach to get adjusted. (6weeks +)

when you find a food that is ok with his stomach, I would try to add the fish oil. If gas comes back.. then at least, you know where it comes from ;)

add one extra at a time to run "tests"

i make my own treats ;) (2cup rye flour, 1cup milk, 1/2 cup peanut butter - to make cookies) .. because many treats have chicken or chicken fat.. which caused troubles with Snatch....

there's many thing i don't even want to try with Snatch.. like the eggs.. OMG! i can't even start to imagine egg-gas :LOL:

:)

6. vitalsignusa

vitalsignusa Boxer Booster

Boxer Gas

LOL! Sorry but this conversation is just way too familiar. We have it constantly in our house. Luna is already a gassy girl since she IS a boxer, however, I have noticed that whenever she has any type of treat that she gets extremely bad gas. She clears the room when we have company over. So when we know that we're going to have company I cannot give her any treats. Maybe I should try the plain yogurt as a treat like suggested on another response. Although, I think I will wait until I see how she responds to the new food.

7. fireangel

fireangel Boxer Booster

I am no food expert but my Jade had lots of food issues at first and we just went back to basics and have stuck with the same kibble (canidae) and have slowly started adding things (yogurt, sardines, etc.) to see how things work out. Now my Jade is 3 yrs old so it is different for us. Maybe you should just start from scratch and go slowly. Jade has a very sensitive tummy so we have to be really careful. Hope it all works out for you!!!

8. dizzydogmom

dizzydogmom Boxer Booster

Yogurt helps stomach problems because of all the good bacteria and other probiotics in it. Tripe is also full of the friendly creepy-crawlies, plus it's not dairy based, so it just seemed like the natural next best option.

A lot of people (and other critters) who are lactose intolerant can handle yogurt because the bacteria in the yogurt break down the lactose in the dairy for you. I don't know that Piper is lactose intolerant, per se, but I do know that she can't handle any dairy at all-she gets hives, vomiting, and your basic butt explosions. I just blame the lactose 'cause it seemed like the most likely culprit. :)

9. Samsonian

Samsonian Boxer Buddy

Oh my - okay, we're going back to basics! I'm going to clean out the doggie cupboard and stop all add-ins and see how things go. I think I'll keep him on his current food for another bag to see how things go with none of the extras for a while. If things don't improve, we'll try Canidae, since it seems so many people (dogs) have done well on that. Poor sam - he's going to wonder where all the goodies have gone :(

Chrystel, thanks for the recipe - I definitely want to try that when we're ready for treats again. Actually, maybe I'll make some now since we have a new training class starting this weekend. If he only get treats Saturdays in class, maybe he'll be an extra attentive student ;)

10. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

you're welcome.. i don't think the ingredient in there would cause problem (you can replace the milk by water if you think the milk could cause problem ;) )

hopefully, your doggy will soon feel better!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.