Smilies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cami

Boxer Insane
For some reason I am no longer able to include smilies in my posts the normal way.
If I know the (code)?? I can type it in and it will show up....for example:
:)
but when I click on one of them nothing happens (doesn't transfer to my post) and when I click on "more" to see additional options the page doesn't open where they are.
I see other posts with smilies included so I don't think it is anything with Boxerworld??
I can utilize smilies on other forums aside from BW however so I wasn't sure if it was just my computer or what?
I know this is a very trivial thing and if I can't use them that is okay too!

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
Hi Susi,

It is very likely your computer because the forum script has not been updated for years now (excepted for security patches) because vbulletin newer versions were so bad.
We will have a new forum software soon though ;)

I just tried the smilies and it works fine for me beericon

What browser are you using? I am using internet explorer 10.
The page with all the smilies is located at http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies

A good browser is Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/

Cami

Boxer Insane
Olly,
Thanks for checking on that for me. I also realized that I no longer can utilize any other functions (quote, bold text, etc). I figured it was on my end since current posts were showing up with having used smilies.
I am using Firefox but have IE and will try it out with a different browser.
Maybe when the new software gets implemented things might change on my end. Other than that I have no idea what is going on with my computer.
smashicon (copy and paste) !!
Thanks for the link. cool2icon

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Cami I use Firefox and haven't had a problem. I have fairly new computer that uses Windows 8. I don't know if that makes a different.

Olly, what do you like Chrome? Are there advantages over Firefox?

Cami

Boxer Insane
So....I am using IE right now and guess what??
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

ODD....everything is working now.
Must be my Firefox. Perhaps it did an update and something got lost in translation. I might try to uninstall and then reinstall. Does that sound like something that might be helpful? Or perhaps someone know of a setting that I could investigate?

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
Susi, it is hard to know without seeing your computer. What version of Firefox do you use?
Hopefully with the new forum everything works fine.

Jan, congratulations for your new computer. I thought you were going to use a mini ipad instead :D
Just my impression: it seems Chrome is faster than Firefox and Internet explorer. Instead of showing the full page only once everything is loaded, Chrome shows the page instantly while it is still downloading it. It is noticeable on very long pages where you need to scroll. I think it is also lighter in computer resource.
You can try it and simply uninstall it if you do not like it.

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
So....I am using IE right now and guess what??
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

ODD....everything is working now.

Well, good to hear ;)
You replied while I was still typing slowly.

Sure, you can install Firefox and reinstall it. Normally, it should work.

Cami

Boxer Insane
I am using FF version 19.
I did a quick Google search and it suggested to clear my cache if having similar problems. I am now on FF and look at what I can do:

fiestaicon

I am now all smiles. :LOL: Thanks for the HELP.
I get excited over the most simple things.

Last edited:

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Jan, congratulations for your new computer. I thought you were going to use a mini ipad instead :D
Just my impression: it seems Chrome is faster than Firefox and Internet explorer. Instead of showing the full page only once everything is loaded, Chrome shows the page instantly while it is still downloading it. It is noticeable on very long pages where you need to scroll. I think it is also lighter in computer resource..

I do have a mini Ipad, but I don't use it much for browsing as it is way to small. I use it mostly for reading. :)

I don't like Windows 8 much, but I am slowly getting used to it. I had been using a laptop, but got tired of the small screen and didn't think it was working very well. Maybe, I will try Chrome one day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.