1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

small boxer

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by KimboSlice, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Maybe the people who see Johann who is 27 inches tall and weighs a trim 88 lbs. Although most people who see my monster say "Wow, that is a huge boxer. Are they usually that big".....which I take as my launching point into why BYB is bad. :LOL:

2. BostonGeorge

BostonGeorge Super Boxer

Hahaha it must be!!! Good segway into talking BYB with people!!! my "little" man is from one too.

3. violetashlee

violetashlee Super Boxer

I have the reverse situation. Ivy is tiny-tiny. At four, she weighs 38-40lbs - depending on the day, or the scale at vet. I dont know how tall she is. I never get "wow, she's a tiny boxer" though. Most people look at her and ask "what kind of dog is that?" LOL When I tell them she's a boxer, they usualy answer with a question: a boxer puppy, mini boxer, or a mix? nope, she not a puppy, mini boxer, or mix - shes just petite - kinda like there are petite people. Shes really cute. :)

4. Furface

Furface Boxer Booster

Devon (my female) is the giant in our house she is 62lbs, very athletic, and is really tall (63 in), and she grew like a weed when she was a puppy. She walks like a lioness, not a boxer and my DH thinks she look like an AT AT walker! Whereas our male Storm is petit (in comparrison) 59lb and 59inches, but is solid muscle

5. BendyBoxers

BendyBoxers Boxer Booster

I would like to comment on this, as I live in Nebraska (U.S.A), in the midwest puppy mill central. All around me when I take my Boxers out and about, I get comments about them being 'small' or 'puppies' (they are well within normal breed size specifications, Elliot is an adult at about 65 lbs and Dexter is still a puppy approaching one year old, and weighs about 60 lbs). They are both very slim. Dexter, I can tell, will fill out quite a bit and probably put on another 10 lbs or so in the next year. He *may* reach 75 pounds.. maybe. I am guessing probably not. He was the 'giant' of his litter.
    I would like to point out that even though Dexter is a large Boxer, I constantly get comments about him being a small puppy, and when asked how old he is, they make comments such as 'Oh, I thought he was only 6 months old' or 'I thought he was way younger than that!' Boxers around here are bred to be big mastiff monsters.
    I wanted to ask about the posting that stated American Boxers are larger than Germans.. This is for sure true for all of the casual breeding going on, but I wish to know if it is true for those American Boxers that are submitted for conformation showing as well?
    I do not see conformation Boxers here in the US that are very big.. they are actually the size of my puppy, if not even shorter than him! (He's about a good 24ish inches tall or more). The first time I saw a 'show Boxer' in person as an adult, I was surprised at the size, and even asked if the dog was a puppy, but he was three years old- he was smaller than my then 10 month old Boxer standing beside him.
    I am thinking that compared side by side, the conformation American vs. Germans- Germans may be quite a bit heavier. I could be wrong, since I don't actually import dogs from Germany.. :p

6. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I would expect so. The US standard allows for a larger dog than the international (FCI) standard does - that is, the lower size limit for dogs is 57cm per FCI (22.4") and is 23" per the US, meaning that the FCI allows for smaller dogs. The upper limits are similar at 63cm (24.8") and 25" respectively.

It is similar for bitches, with the FCI specifying a both minimumm AND maximum heights that are about 1/2 an inch less than the US.

It is worth noting that the US did increase the size limits in its standards just a few years ago (2005) - I believe to provide for a show population that was increasing in size.

Finally, you'd note the difference in approach to size... the US standard explictly states that there is no size disqualification, and that balance/proportion in a wrongly-sized individual is more important than the animal being too big/small. The FCI, conversely, states that any departure from the specified size is a fault that must be punished (in the judging) in proportion to the degree to which the animal departs from that size - i.e. their judges are given far less room to be lenient in respect of animals that aren't the correct size.

7. lovethree

lovethree Boxer Pal

My 1 and a half year old girl is only about 50 pounds. She is really short too. Everyone always asks me what kind of dog she is or they assume she is a puppy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.