1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

small boxer

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by KimboSlice, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KimboSlice

KimboSlice Boxer Buddy

so kimbos father was a big nice looking boxer. kimbo is two years old next week, he weighs 72 lbs and has sort of a small head. people always ask me why hes so small and arent boxers supposed to be bigger? anyways is he going to get any bigger? maybe i neutered him too early (7months)..thanks

2. Widges

Widges Completely Boxer Crazy

I have to question what you mean by small? 72lbs in my eyes is not small.

from the FAQ section on this board.

"The modern boxer is a medium sized dog, short haired, energetic and muscular dog. Males stand between 57-63 cm (23-25 inches) tall and weigh around 30-32kg (66-70lb), and females 53-59 cm (21-23 inches) weighing around 25-27kg (55-60lb)."

3. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Boy if that's small, then Disco must be a mini-boxer. She only weighs 40 lbs. :D

4. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I agree, 72 lbs is not small, that's on the large end even for males. The people you run into must just think that the freakishly large boxers they've seen are "normal." Just tell them that your dog is well within the breed standard. ;)

5. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I agree with everyone else. My boy is 67 pounds and he's considered normal for the breed standard, so 72 is on the larger end of the breed standard, so IMO he's on the larger end of the scale for a Boxer.

And if he's 2 years old he may fill out a tad, but he probably won't be gettign any bigger no.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Boxer Insane

I don't think that 72 lbs is small at all for a male. He may have some more filling out to do - I know that Monty didn't really mature physically until he was about three years of age.

7. honeybunny

honeybunny Boxer Pal

tv show

i saw a TV show that was talking about boxers. the puppies were GIANT, at 8 weeks they were already muscular and filling out. the breeder talked about them being from germany or something and that the boxers we see nowaways in the US are smaller and leaner than the lines that trace back to boxer roots. she said her boxers that she breeds can peak at 80-100 pounds.

8. lilboxerbaby

lilboxerbaby Boxer Booster

My female is 53 lbs and my male is 73 lbs... I couldn't handle him being any bigger to be honest! But he has more of a small head with a big body. haha... we neutered him early too about 6-7 months (right when the vet said he was old enough to get it done we did it). I'm not sure how much our new rescue boxer is but he's shorter than my female but a little broader... I think he may be mixed with bulldog though? The vet that found him says he's all boxer, but he just doesn't look 100% boxer to my husband and I??? We'll ask our vet his opinion when we take him in.

9. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Not true at all (and US boxers also trace their roots to Germany). It may be fair to say that Nth American boxers are often (not always) lighter boned than their counterparts in Europe and elsewhere in the world (often said that NA breeders have focussed on "elegance" at the expense of "substance", both of which are called for in the breed standard - and perhaps the opposite in other parts of the world), but NA boxers are also usually larger (taller) and heavier. The International boxer standard (FCI) - which is the one written by Germany - states that male boxers should be within 57-63 cm tall (that's 22.4 - 24.8 inches) tall and weigh over 30kg (66lb) at 60cm (about 24 in).

What you can see from that is that the FCI standard maximum height is SMALLER than the US standard. And unlike the US standard, being too tall is a fault. There is, however, no specified weight limit - except to say that it should be in proportion to height (which would clearly make a 80-100lb dog in Germany etc a very significant fault indeed).

10. BostonGeorge

BostonGeorge Super Boxer

Boston is 72lbs and I think he's HUGE.....he's put on some weight...its a work in progress. Everyone that sees him out say he's a small boxer. I'd like to see the boxers they think are average size. They must be monsters!!

Sounds like your pup is a good size...even on the larger end of the spectrum. He prob. wont get much bigger. He might fill out a little more, just depends on the dog...they're all different!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.