Separation anxiety? .....what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
Now that Chance is settling into his (our) new life together. The one thing that is getting worse is what I think is separation anxiety .... If bf, Chance and I are in one room and bf or I leave and shut a door between us or bf or I either one leave for work or whatever, Chance goes crazy looking for whoever left. He runs around frantically looking for the missing person..... We literally can't leave the room to take a shower with him freaking out. It takes him 20-30 min. Before he settles down but then is still restless and won't lay down for 10 min before getting back up pacing looking for the missing person. I would have thought this would have gotten better by now or am I just not giving him enough time, we have had him exactly 1 month today. I am thinking the reason he is acting like this is totally understandable because he has never had so much human interaction, attention and affection and he is REALLY loving it.. What do you think and what should I do about it?

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
Oh I bet he realizes that now he has some really special peple and does get worried when you leave. I think it will get better as time goes by but maybe you could try giving him something special when you leave so that he may start to associate a "good or nice" feeling (or at least ok and distracted) with when you leave. He will probably just realize and get more secure that you always return after a while.

I once saw an episode of some traing show where they spent the whole day leaving and coming back and by the end of the day the dog was less anxious when the owners left. They watched the dog by videocam and only came back when the dog had relaxed and did it all over again and agin.

Hope you can get him comfortable and settled soon:)

Kisaq

Super Boxer
"I'll Be Home Soon" Patricia McConnell

This is the book I have heard is the best on the subject - though I've never done any research into it myself. But I know McConnell is great. It would definitely be worth picking up.

All I can say for sure, is that unless you handle it right, it's likely to get worse as time goes by ... not better. He won't just grow out of it. He'll grow into the habit of it - and it will probably escalate. :)

sjtorr

Boxer Booster
I agree... Spend the time it takes to get him used to it. I haven't read this particular book, but our experience was to start even with five seconds away at a time. Because I work from home it took ages to get her used to me being gone... But until we dedicated time to the exercises, there was no improvement. We are now at four hours alone... That's as good as it will get I think, just because I'm always here.

Other ideas... Don't make a fuss either coming or going. When you come home, ignore him until he is calm. That might be the hardest one to do. Keep at it!

MichBoxerMom

Boxer Buddy
I agree with Kisaq.... Our boy is almost 1.5yrs old and it doesn't get any better. I am also at home for the past 3 months but previously he was at doggie day care so he is never really been left for more than a few hours. When he is left which is maybe once or twice a month he drools excessively and will not leave my side for hours. I cant go to the bathroom or take a shower without him barging in on me (unless I lock the door) and then he cries the entire time. Also he gets an upset tummy the next day after he is left!!
We have just started leaving him for very short periods... 20-60 min and not making a big deal of it when we get home... Not working yet but hope it will soon... Good Luck... I feel your pain!

Kisaq

Super Boxer
I agree with Kisaq.... Our boy is almost 1.5yrs old and it doesn't get any better. I am also at home for the past 3 months but previously he was at doggie day care so he is never really been left for more than a few hours. When he is left which is maybe once or twice a month he drools excessively and will not leave my side for hours. I cant go to the bathroom or take a shower without him barging in on me (unless I lock the door) and then he cries the entire time. Also he gets an upset tummy the next day after he is left!!
We have just started leaving him for very short periods... 20-60 min and not making a big deal of it when we get home... Not working yet but hope it will soon... Good Luck... I feel your pain!

Shorten the time you're gone... and leave more often. Teach him "down/stay" and gradually increase the time you are out of site (don't start with being out of sight, btw. Work up to that slowly). Then, instead of putting him in a down stay, put him on his bed in a relaxed "settle" and build up to walking out of the room.

They need to just feel like it's ok to be alone on your bed.
That you will come back. That his place is to stay and take care of things at home. That the "pack" needs him to stay and take care of things at home.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I can't offer much advice other then.....chance melts my heart :) since the first I've read about him, I just wanna love on him. I think , this is a totally non professional opinion lol, he probably has felt so abandoned his whole life, you guys love him so much, he doesn't want to be abandoned again. He has a great thing he doesn't wanna loose :) I might be so way off lol. I think I've read dogs don't think like humans in that sense, its hard for me to accept that, lol, I would probably ruin chance lol, I'm such a softie. I know Arabella is a fearful pup, over other people, other dogs,, and I've got firmer with her and working through it, I don't want that to get out of hand and cause her problems later, then us not be able to take her with us anywhere because of her fear, so I'm toughening up lol but that's a struggle for me as much as her!!!! Lol. I think when you loose a dog, the next one that comes along fills that little void there , so it's just as much an emotional thing for you as it is them, that's why I say I would ruin chance if he was mine. Coupled with losing one, and chances past.....yeah, maybe it's a good thing I don't have a rescue yet....I have a lot to learn and some tougher skin to grow lol

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
Thank you everyone, very good advice and I am going to start working on this NOW.

I can't offer much advice other then.....chance melts my heart :) since the first I've read about him, I just wanna love on him.

Awwww thanks. We feel the same. He melted our hearts immediately. It is really hard not to spoil him and be easier on him due to his past. But we are being as strong and stern as we can with out scaring him while teaching/training.

A thundershirt was also suggested so I am checking on that too.

"I'll Be Home Soon" Patricia McConnell :)

Thanks Kisaq I will check this book out.

Roge

Boxer Insane
I can't offer much advice other then.....chance melts my heart :) since the first I've read about him, I just wanna love on him. I think , this is a totally non professional opinion lol, he probably has felt so abandoned his whole life, you guys love him so much, he doesn't want to be abandoned again. He has a great thing he doesn't wanna loose :) I might be so way off lol. I think I've read dogs don't think like humans in that sense, its hard for me to accept that, lol, I would probably ruin chance lol, I'm such a softie. I know Arabella is a fearful pup, over other people, other dogs,, and I've got firmer with her and working through it, I don't want that to get out of hand and cause her problems later, then us not be able to take her with us anywhere because of her fear, so I'm toughening up lol but that's a struggle for me as much as her!!!! Lol. I think when you loose a dog, the next one that comes along fills that little void there , so it's just as much an emotional thing for you as it is them, that's why I say I would ruin chance if he was mine. Coupled with losing one, and chances past.....yeah, maybe it's a good thing I don't have a rescue yet....I have a lot to learn and some tougher skin to grow lol

Erin you've got a point there, my sister rescued a Lab around October past ,he was skin and bone ,all the fur gone off his nose from scavenging for food and he his the MOST LOVABLE dog I have come across .when I go into her house and greet him then sit down he follows me and tucks his head under my armpit and just stays as still as a statue it chokes me every time.. he just wants to love and be loved , anyhow he fell on all four paws when my sister brought him home he is now living the good life he deserves !!!

Roge

Boxer Insane
Colista I too think that Chance is afraid that his good times will end and gets scared when someone goes in case that they will not return . I just think it will take time for him to feel secure in the fact that he his now part of your family and will not be abandoned again ..

Status
Not open for further replies.