1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sam's Story

Discussion in 'Stories' started by PaulaAZ, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulaAZ

PaulaAZ Boxer Pal

Samson joined our family 3 weeks ago! We had a 1 yr. old female "Gabby" that we had gotten as a pup and felt like she needed a playmate. We've had Boxers for years and always had 2. I had found out that Gabby's littermate was available thru the breeder and was going to get him when a friend of mine said, "why don't you go to the animal shelter? There are so many dogs that need homes!" Actually, I had thought of that before but I have 2 young children (ages 4 and 5) and was unsure about bringing an older dog into the house who's background we were unsure of. However, though I had some reservations, I went ahead and researched our local "Boxer Rescue's" website just to see what Boxers they had available. Such sad stories... they just broke my heart. But, after reading about Sammie, I knew, he was the one (or I hoped anyway). I emailed the director of the rescue org. and told her about our family and asked her to pick a dog she thought would "fit" (but mentioned that my heart went out to Sammie). She called me and said she thought Sam would be a good fit. He was a little over a year... was found as a stray at about 9 mos old. He had been in the kennel longer than any of the other dogs and she wasn't sure why? She said everytime they took him to any of the adoption events he would get completely overlooked. :( She thought maybe because his tail wasn't docked... that it turned people off. (Now isn't that sad?) So we planned a meeting with just me and my kids to see how we all liked each other. Sam was such a sweetie...mellow around the kids... just waggin' that long ol' tail (that was different!) So the next day we set up a meeting between Sam and Gabby (with a dog trainer/behaviorist present) to see how they interacted. We met at a park and all seemed to go well with the dogs introductions so we immediately brought Sam back to my house with the trainer in tow to make sure all went well as Sam was introduced into the household. All introductions went great - Gabby thought she died and went to heaven with her new playmate. However, some issues arose. Sam and Gab would play so hard that Gabby's neck was raw and bleeding on both sides from the rough housing. So I took her to the vet and he wasn't happy. He thought they'd been fighting. I told him no... it was so much playing! I know he didn't believe me. He put Gab on 2 wks of antibiotics and special lotion and told me to keep them apart. (I thought, "you've got to be kidding!!" but I did it.) Then Sam (who was supposedly house trained) started peeing and marking my furniture!!!! I spent $420 getting my formal living room furniture and carpets cleaned. I was so frustrated because the last thing I wanted was to have to return Sam.... and hubby was getting upset! Well, I kept Sam leashed in the house and took him out to pee. At night I kept him on long leash tied to nightstand next to me. Just today I've had him off leash most of the day... making sure we keep going out every few hours. Oh, we have a doggie door which he's totally okay with using so it's not like he doesn't have inside outside access! Anyway, I'm pleased to report that he's happy, playful, eats great (he was underweight) and has gained weight. He's peeing outside and Gabby's sore's have healed!! Sam is a fabulous dog! All those people that overlooked him didn't realize that they gave up the best Boxer ever!! I just joined BW today (I was a member back in the late 90's after we had got our first Boxer)... I'm glad to be back!! Thanks for listening to Sam's story!

2. lhsdavis

lhsdavis Boxer Booster

That is a great story...I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt have accidents because you had to separate them for that time. I have a horse that is pretty set in his ways and because he picks on my 3 year old paint gelding I would put Jake in his own corral so it would give Cochise (3 yr old) a break...A few days after I started that, tried to ride Jake (the older set in ways horse, and is very broke to ride) and he just started acting nuts..did some bucking and wouldnt listen, what the heck couldnt figure it out until a few days later he planted himself in the same area as the 3 year old and I realized he was acting out because I had separated them...go figure...put them back together and hes back to the great riding horse he always was..weird...Im glad Sam found a wonderful home...

3. BoxerMom999

BoxerMom999 Boxer Insane

Kudos to you for rescuing. I am sure that your babies will be fine together.

4. mini

mini Boxer Booster

that was the first thing I thought when she mentioned the peeing. My dogs are all housebroken but if we shut them out of the bedroom for some privacy, theres always pee on the floor!!

5. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

Grat story! I am sure Sam is very grateful you gave him a chance and along with that came a great home, loving family and a best friend all that will be his forever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.