1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sadly seeking a new home for my girl - Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by BeckyNC, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeckyNC

BeckyNC Boxer Insane

Let me begin by saying I read the rules for this forum and hope I didn't miss anything, or misinterpret them.

I have a huge sweetheart of a Boxer and I am devastated to find myself in a situation such that she must be rehomed. My little girl is allergic and my heart is broken. I have been seeking to rehome Taebo on my own for 10 months and had only minimal interest. Things have not worked out with the few families that have contacted me. I have emailed and called all friends, acquaintances, and dog lovers I know in an effort to find a quality home for my girl, but to no avail. If anyone can help me here, I'd be so grateful.

Here is info regarding Taebo:

I have a wonderful, sweet, and sensitive 7-year-old Boxer, who happens to have a heck of a good sense of humor. I love this little dog (she's only 38 lbs; quite small for a female Boxer) to pieces. This crazy girl is pretty darn energetic and playful-she plays a mean game of fetch! Taebo (Tae for short [pronounced "ty"]) would do great in a home with a fenced yard, as she loves to lie in the sun and eat grass (doesn't make her sick!). Taebo is up-to-date on her immunizations and is in great health. Taebo needs a strong alpha, as she will test you to no end! She might do best as an “only dog,” or in a home with a dog that is not toy-oriented, or extremely playful. A small dog that fits that description, however, would be just fine. She is a little too interested in kitties, so a home with cats would not work well (for the kitty). Taebo is a flashy fawn girl with natural ears and tail.

2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Are you absolutely positive that your child is allergic to the dog? I have had two instances of people surrendering their dogs to the rescue due to allergies only to find out later that it made no difference once the dog was gone.

3. BostonGeorge

BostonGeorge Super Boxer

For a while I thought I was allergic to Boston. If he would lay on me or accidentally scratch me when playing I'd get all itchy and bumps where he touched me. 100% sure it was him I started getting allergy shots and a monthly cortisone shot. Turns out...It wasn't the dog!! ....it may seem like its the dog causing the allergies....but make sure!

4. BeckyNC

BeckyNC Boxer Insane

Thanks to you both for your replies. I wish this weren't the case, but we know for a fact it is allergies. We had our little girl tested. Additionally, Taebo has been living with my dog sitter for the past 6 months and LOs red, teary eyes (and other symptoms) cleared up pretty quickly, once we had given the house a thorough cleaning.

Please know I have tried/researched every possible angle on this and rehoming Taebo is the only solution. I have cried over this more than you can possibly imagine. I feel that dog ownership is for the life of the dog and I am failing my first baby miserably. The only way I can keep her is if she lives outdoors and we know that's not a viable solution for the following reasons: #1, weather and #2, she needs to be around her people. I even researched heated dog houses and found a company that sells a heating/AC unit, but it's just not realistic b/c she cannot live outdoors all the time.

5. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Are there any good boxer rescues in your area? That could be a good resource for re-homing, especially if you can have her stay at the dog-sitters until a new home is found.

I can't imagine how hard this must be for you to do. If you were closer and I didn't have a cat....I would take her.

6. BeckyNC

BeckyNC Boxer Insane

Johann-Thanks for the response. There are 2 Boxer rescues in my area, but neither is likely an option. I know that both are full. Taebo cannot stay with my dog sitter anymore (after tomorrow), so I've been desperately trying to figure something out. No luck yet.

I have been in touch with the woman from whom I adopted Taebo (non-Boxer rescue) and she will try to do a courtesy post on the Boxer rescue website, but, realistically, most people aren't interested in 8 year old Boxers. I know they are concerned with potential health issues, and I can understand. I am willing to pay her expenses for the foreseeable future. Oh, and it's worth mentioning she doesn't act a hair of 2 years old! She's a ridiculously energetic, curious, busy body.

7. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

It might be worth giving a few of the rescues up north a try. I know that when we have room, we will transport shelter dogs on the euth list up from the NC area. You might get lucky and find one willing to help if you provide transport.

8. DSmitty

DSmitty Super Boxer

I live in Raleigh, too but unfortunately Taebo would not be happy with us, (Roxy loves her toys and loves to play) however I will help to get the word out. In fact....I'll check with Roxy's day care, too.

9. BeckyNC

BeckyNC Boxer Insane

DSmitty-Thank you SO much. Have you had any luck?

I am getting pretty desperate. I tried to take Taebo to someone else to keep her for a bit, but she freaked (it was a kennel setting) and I just couldn't leave here there. We had to make her a place in the garage (she has multiple beds in there)and I know she is horribly miserable and so am I. My heart feels so heavy today b/c she is in there pretty much all the time. I took her on extra walks yesterday, but she wants to lie in the LR with us at night.

Fortunately, the garage has 2 side windows and 4 windows on the door (one-car garage) and gets a lot of light. We have a heater in there, but I am more worried about Taebo having some company/someone to socialize with. She just can't live in the garage. I would feel a little better about things if it were sunny outside, as she could lie in the sun spots, but it's so gloomy out.

I used to read posts like this from people a couple years back and think about how that would never be me, and now it is, and it's killing me. This girl is such a sweetie and deserves the very best.

10. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Have you contacted any (reputable) Boxer Rescues outside your state? Also now that she is in your garage you might as well get her listed with the rescues in your area. Another suggestion is to contact any local doggie daycare or vets offices and see if they know anyone looking for a dog (they may know of a good family that recently lost a dog). Poor Taebo I'm sorry you guys going through this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.