Rich food causing vomit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
I recently found a co-op where I can get raw grinds of 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ. No additives. I got 120 lbs and started feeding it last night. Gus has always been sensitive to organ meats, they give him the runs in tiny amounts. But last night he threw up his supper after about 5 hours. There was grass mixed in so I wasn't sure if that caused it, but cleaned it up and didn't give him anything else. This morning he threw up about an hour after eating breakfast, but it was while I was gone for 10 minutes and he had re-eaten it by the time I got home again. As far as I can tell he has kept it down the rest of the day, unless he re-puked and re-ate again and the spot dried before I got home from work. I'd been feeding him a very expensive pre-made raw that had veggies and stuff in it. So I'm wondering if the sudden switch to a more fatty meat (beef) and a fairly high percentage for him of organ meat could cause the vomiting? This morning I had cut the raw grind with some straight, much leaner venison so hopefully that helps. Any advice?

Poetic_thing

Boxer Insane
My 2 will get upset stomachs, gas and on occassion throw up if they have too much fat in their mix. I try to make it fairly lean and they seem to be much better off.

SherylM

Completely Boxer Crazy
My smallest Boston throws up any ground beef I try to feed him. The other two just fine with it.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
My thought was that it was maybe too fatty too. Any idea what the percentage of fat is? Cutting it with venison was a good idea as it's so lean. How is he today?

Just realized that your post is 2 weeks old! Has he been doing better on it?

Last edited:

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks Jan, yes, he adapted quickly and is now fine eating the mince straight. However I am giving him chicken backs as well for extra bone, the mince is still too rich (too much organ) and by itself gives him the runs. But his belly is fine! :)

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
Gus can take or leave veggies. But he was raised on raw so maybe that makes a difference. The very first meal he had upon arriving home with me at 8 weeks old was a bird my cat brought in and left on the porch for him! He ate that thing like a pro, feathers and all, and this was after being weaned onto some cheap awful kibble.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
Gus can take or leave veggies. But he was raised on raw so maybe that makes a difference. The very first meal he had upon arriving home with me at 8 weeks old was a bird my cat brought in and left on the porch for him! He ate that thing like a pro, feathers and all, and this was after being weaned onto some cheap awful kibble.

LOL
Well that's a well integrated cat dog team!
...wouldn't it be nice if you had a cat that would catch all the food for your dog... hahaha

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
LOL
Well that's a well integrated cat dog team!
...wouldn't it be nice if you had a cat that would catch all the food for your dog... hahaha

Ha! The cat (gone now, sadly) LOVED my last dog Toby and cried pitifully when Toby died, for days! I think he was so glad to have a new dog to play with that he brought him a welcome home present! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.